new golfin just started to pluck her feathers

sadbradley

Dec 17, 2011
Media
Tenerife,Canary Islands
Parrots
Golfin cockatoo, 2 lovebirds.
I have a golfin that was given to me by a friend who has left the island that I live on, she was very well looked after and loved for 12 years.
We have had her since xmas. At first she lived wherever I could fit the cage to be with us as I had all the decorations up and was not expecting her.
She now lives in the lounge so see's all our life going on and gets lots of attention. We have bought her many toys to play with but she has never been very interested in them.
She comes out of her cage at least once a day with me away from our dogs and just wants to snuggle.
She is very friendly and loves to be stroked and hugged. But doesn't seem to play much.
In the last week we have noticed that she has started to pluck her back and under her wings. :-( She even does it when I have her out of the cage so it's not for attention.
I have started to spray her with water every day hoping that may help. But she hates it.....
Please could any one give me any help as at the moment it's only small spots but I'd just like her to be happy.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I have a golfin that was given to me by a friend who has left the island that I live on, she was very well looked after and loved for 12 years.
We have had her since xmas. At first she lived wherever I could fit the cage to be with us as I had all the decorations up and was not expecting her.
She now lives in the lounge so see's all our life going on and gets lots of attention. We have bought her many toys to play with but she has never been very interested in them.
She comes out of her cage at least once a day with me away from our dogs and just wants to snuggle.
She is very friendly and loves to be stroked and hugged. But doesn't seem to play much.
In the last week we have noticed that she has started to pluck her back and under her wings. :-( She even does it when I have her out of the cage so it's not for attention.
I have started to spray her with water every day hoping that may help. But she hates it.....
Please could any one give me any help as at the moment it's only small spots but I'd just like her to be happy.

Consider a vet check to make sure it's nothing physically wrong with her. Then maybe invest in some 'aloe vera' spray to help any irritation she may be having. Don't reward her with attention when you see her plucking as she'll associate plucking with attention. Just give her lots of attention and play time when you can. Some birds do just pluck, she's had a big change in her life and cockatoo's are VERY sensitive birds.

OP
S

sadbradley

Dec 17, 2011
Media
Tenerife,Canary Islands
Parrots
Golfin cockatoo, 2 lovebirds.
Consider a vet check to make sure it's nothing physically wrong with her. Then maybe invest in some 'aloe vera' spray to help any irritation she may be having. Don't reward her with attention when you see her plucking as she'll associate plucking with attention. Just give her lots of attention and play time when you can. Some birds do just pluck, she's had a big change in her life and cockatoo's are VERY sensitive birds.[/QUOTE]

Could I use a mixture of fresh Aloe with water as I have lots of them growing?
I too think it's probably the change of house and everything so hope it will stop very soon. I will also find out from my friend which vet that she took her to as I don't know if there is any Avian vets in the South where I live.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Consider a vet check to make sure it's nothing physically wrong with her. Then maybe invest in some 'aloe vera' spray to help any irritation she may be having. Don't reward her with attention when you see her plucking as she'll associate plucking with attention. Just give her lots of attention and play time when you can. Some birds do just pluck, she's had a big change in her life and cockatoo's are VERY sensitive birds.

Could I use a mixture of fresh Aloe with water as I have lots of them growing?
I too think it's probably the change of house and everything so hope it will stop very soon. I will also find out from my friend which vet that she took her to as I don't know if there is any Avian vets in the South where I live.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that would work, I believe lots of people do that instead of buying it. I don't grow Aloe so I'm using a johnsons spray with aloe vera in it for Merlin's skin itchyness.

Find out from your friend and if not look around and maybe try and contact some breeders to see who theyd recommend? :)

Most Reactions