New Green Cheek Conure living on the ocean

gothambirdie

Aug 12, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Well unfortunately it’s not a tropical ocean, but the Gulf of Maine/Atlantic Ocean on the coast of New Hampshire. Brought this GCC home today, and I had not intended to acquire my first bird from a national pet chain.

But it was a great personality and I was displeased at the quality of its conditions (filthy water bowl for example), so I almost considered it an expensive adoption/rescue fee. I realize the cycle it creates but am not a believer in playing g-d with economic theory and decided I would bring this bird home after knowing about it for a few weeks.

Bird came home to me and my Shiba, who’s still adjusting and showing slight jealousy/concern, but improving over the course of the night.

I think this bird is very smart and funny already. I am a musician and musical enthusiast and have been singing to it as well as playing a revolving carousel of artists from Pink Floyd to B.B. King. When bird arrived it was very mistrustful due to the transport stress, but upon singing to it a rendition of Somewhere Over The Rainbow, it’s entire demeanor changed and has remained increasingly friendly.

Whenever the crowd cheered at the end of a BB song in a live concert that I played for bird, bird begins screeching and ducking up and down. I took a video of myself vocalizing a Gilmore lead in a Pink Floyd song from The Wall, and whenever I replay it on my phone the bird rushes across the cage to hear it up close. It’s a very musical bird specie?

Later I played some video of tropical birds, this led bird to become very vocal. I switched to some pigeon videos, I’m a huge pigeon fan but there’s no way to keep them where I’m at. Bird also responded to the pigeon calls. I eventually had to stop watching in order for bird to de-animate itself a bit. We settled on some videos of old Stratocaster and Fender tweed amps. Bird does appreciate the single coil pickup.

So far it’s been very reasonable in its noise level but clearly wants attention, which is cool.

I named it Speedy after the great slide guitarist Speedy West, who often teamed up with Jimmy Bryant and did a few solid Hawaiian musical LPs, which bird appreciates from a sonic perspective.

Here is bird and dog kissing hello. They seem to be very cool with each other, though of course dog will always be carefully cordoned off when bird is out. Shiba having strong prey drive and so forth, to be on the safe side. They more are showing issues to me when I give the other attention, not so much with each other directly. Which is interesting.

Bird was hatched from an egg in March of this year. Toodaloo! 👋🏻 🎸

Last edited by a moderator:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Huh. My Lucy Quaker enjoyed all sorts of choral music and acoustic guitar, but I’m not sure Pink Floyd would have been her things.

Always good to hear about a bird who appreciates music!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum to you and your beautiful new friend!

You'll find a lot of great info here about behaviour, food, perches, toys, etc., which can be so helpful. He is really beautiful!
I'm glad you will be keeping your Shiba separated from Speedy, that is definitely the safest:)

I'm so glad you joined us and I am looking forward to seeing more pictures!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new shipmate! :) Speedy is a great name for what sounds like a really great personality!

I also have a dog breed with a prey drive and thank the inventor of baby gates every day, ha.

We don't allow photos of predatory animals and parrots in the same picture, but I do hope you'll share more photos with us! Of both Speedy and your foxy Shiba! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts