New Indian Ringneck Sleeping a lot.

evanschlenker

Jun 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck, Cockatiel.
Hi! I just picked up a 3 month old Indian Ringneck. Is it normal for them to sleep during the day at this age? It is also obviously stressed, especially since it was raised by mom & not by humans.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to you and your flock!
Are you sure the bird is completely weaned? Is he eating?
If he is sleeping most of the day, I would take him to an Avian vet because that isn't normal.

OP
evanschlenker

evanschlenker

Jun 2, 2022
Parrots
Welcome to you and your flock!
Are you sure the bird is completely weaned? Is he eating?
If he is sleeping most of the day, I would take him to an Avian vet because that isn't normal.
Hi! Yes it is completely weaned and is eating perfectly normal. I’ve only had it for the night, but it slept all night & is still trying to at the moment. It’s about 10am. It was up for a few hours and flew around and ate.

OP
evanschlenker

evanschlenker

Jun 2, 2022
Parrots
Hi! Yes it is completely weaned and is eating perfectly normal. I’ve only had it for the night, but it slept all night & is still trying to at the moment. It’s about 10am. It was up for a few hours and flew around and ate.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so glad he is eating normally, and flew around. He may just be exhausted from the trauma of leaving his first home and his parents. If he doesn't stay awake through at least part of the day in the next few days, I would still recommend seeing an Avian vet.

It's good to see the vet when you first get a bird so he can get a baseline of his health.
Is it possible for you to weigh him using a kitchen gram scale? That's a good idea for all birds because sometimes they start to lose weight and it isn't visible to the eye.

OP
evanschlenker

evanschlenker

Jun 2, 2022
Parrots
I'm so glad he is eating normally, and flew around. He may just be exhausted from the trauma of leaving his first home and his parents. If he doesn't stay awake through at least part of the day in the next few days, I would still recommend seeing an Avian vet.

It's good to see the vet when you first get a bird so he can get a baseline of his health.
Is it possible for you to weigh him using a kitchen gram scale? That's a good idea for all birds because sometimes they start to lose weight and it isn't visible to the eye.
It seems okay now. I think it’s just restless and stressed, like you stated. Normal poops n all :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
It seems okay now. I think it’s just restless and stressed, like you stated. Normal poops n all :)
That's wonderful to hear:)
Please let us know how he's doing, and share pics if you have some...I'd love to see your new baby!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello and welcome @ would love to see a Pic

Because babies can get in trouble quickly a vet check is always great advice.

But babies still take a few extra naps during the day than adults. At 12 weeks about 3 naps would seem normal to me. But its a fine line because extra naps can definitely indicate a health issue and babies that have been stressed by weaning and going to a new home are extra vulnerable their immune system isn't fully developed.

Its a good idea to get a digital kitchen scale and monitor weights. And to become a poop watcher.

A great article

And one on IRN silversage has several great articles

OP
evanschlenker

evanschlenker

Jun 2, 2022
Parrots
That's wonderful to hear:)
Please let us know how he's doing, and share pics if you have some...I'd love to see your new baby!
I’ll share some pics, one sec. Also, I have the top of her cage open and she only wants to stay on the top of it. Every time I go to change water and feed, she obviously flies away. What can I do about that? Just get her back in the cage? I don’t want to freak her out by forcing her back in.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I’ll share some pics, one sec. Also, I have the top of her cage open and she only wants to stay on the top of it. Every time I go to change water and feed, she obviously flies away. What can I do about that? Just get her back in the cage? I don’t want to freak her out by forcing her back in.
I would recommend reading this thread, it has many helpful suggestions to gain the trust of your new baby:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

OP
evanschlenker

evanschlenker

Jun 2, 2022
Parrots
I would recommend reading this thread, it has many helpful suggestions to gain the trust of your new baby:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust
4B7DD469-898B-4550-A52B-BE67B39AFEE7.jpegHeres a picture from the other day. He was housed outside in an aviary and was pretty dirty and had some ratty feathers. He looks a lot better today after cleaning himself.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
View attachment 40583Heres a picture from the other day. He was housed outside in an aviary and was pretty dirty and had some ratty feathers. He looks a lot better today after cleaning himself.
Have you tried giving him a mist bath? I use Youtube and a thunderstorm recording they have on there and as soon as the rain starts in the video all by birds are ready for their bath.
Just remember to mist him lightly, from above if necessary. He will feel so good after a bath:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts