New Members and Older Members Observation

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Why does it feel like there are two families here-
one for the OGs and one for the new members
Edit: shortest thread I’ve ever written lol, so I thought I’d add more.
Please, please don’t assume this is a vent or anything-I’m not talking about myself, I’m talking about PF as a whole. We ARE a family, I know that, and I’m so honored to be a part of it. This is just a random thought that I realized is on my mind every time I log on, so. Yup.
Thanks. If you’re reading this you’re awesome, have a great day.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Why does it feel like there are two families here-
one for the OGs and one for the new members
It has never felt that way to me, even when I was new. I felt accepted into the PF family almost immediately. What makes you feel that way?

OP
foxgloveparrot

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
It has never felt that way to me, even when I was new. I felt accepted into the PF family almost immediately. What makes you feel that way?
I don't know. It just does.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

I'm sorry it feels that way to you, there are many other people who feel different, and do not believe the forum is divided. There is no way of knowing what it is you're missing if you can't even put a name on it.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is not uncommon for individuals that join a well established long lived organization to sometimes feel like they are near some kind of outer edge. That is commonly based on the reality of finding oneself in a mix of individuals that have stood arm and arm with others that have suffered great losses and great joy over time.. Being new is never easy anywhere.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
When I was new, I felt like more of an observer than a family member. The OG's all knew each other and knew each other's names and even met in person some times... I felt welcomed and accepted but I always felt like a newbie... until I realized that I wasn't a newbie and there were people here who knew me and respected what I had to say... and then I realized it was always that way, I was the only one who kept me apart from the others.

You are just as much a part of the PF Family as you want to be. :) Believe me.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022

I'm sorry if you feel you haven't quite found your place yet. Sailboat's words sum up my perspective perfectly.

I've been part of forums around different topics for a long time, and I do notice that where I feel I "fit in" right away is pretty different from group to group. I lurked here for months before joining, so I felt like I had a good feel of the general culture and vibe. What surprised me after joining and participating a little, though, is that the people I'm drawn to are totally different than the posts/people I was drawn to as a lurker! It's so weird to me!

I can definitely see the deep bonds here that people share and have developed over time. On other forums I've been part of people will tend to stick to their "journal" threads and that can feel lonely as a newbie until you've developed friendships. I've had lots of posts elsewhere with no replies lol. I've also felt super close to a bunch of people on a forum that a year later felt off and not close at all. Building relationships through text, over a subject each of us cares about a lot, isn't always the easiest thing to do.

For me it's kind of like, I'm at a family reunion with a bunch of aunties and uncles I don't really know, and then a bunch of cousins I don't really know. It's going to feel like a divide between the aunties/uncles and cousins, and it will probably be a lot easier for me to start connecting with my cousins, even though we're all the same family.

I hope you keep at it, though 💚

OP
foxgloveparrot

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
It’s not about me-
Thanks tho

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
When I was new, I felt like more of an observer than a family member. The OG's all knew each other and knew each other's names and even met in person some times... I felt welcomed and accepted but I always felt like a newbie... until I realized that I wasn't a newbie and there were people here who knew me and respected what I had to say... and then I realized it was always that way, I was the only one who kept me apart from the others.

You are just as much a part of the PF Family as you want to be. :) Believe me.
Perfectly stated, Squeek.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Well I'm glad I worked up the nerve to ask! Thanks Terry 😊

I was thinking maybe it ment Old Guard
My pleasure! I like "Old Guard".

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
well old guard had postive associations for me as just like sounds ...
But then Google it and said resistant to change...and thats not how I remembered it
I don't remember that either. Maybe I don't like Old Guard after all...lol

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I was told by my siblings it means Over Geared(when I asked them years ago cuz they kept on using "OG").. though they play shooting games like Fortnite or Call of Duty(my older sibling):p That's probably where they got it from🤪😂

I think the meaning of OG depends on the context 🤷‍♀️ I don't know lol

Most Reactions