New Red Headed Mexican baby!

Sixnickles

Jul 22, 2019
Hello! Always have been a lurker but finally jumped in the pond! We have put a deposit on a baby Mexican Redheaded girl! She won?t be ready until mid summer but we are super excited! Any tips would be awesome!:green1:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A pre-welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

- Do Not Bring Her Home Early!!
- She should be on solid food diet for two full weeks prior to her coming home.
- Expect that she will regress a bit and you may need to hand feeder her and transition her back to solid food.
- Make an appointment with your Avian Medical Professional, on the way home from picking her up! Or, shortly thereafter for a New Parrot Examination!
- Read with understanding the two Threads at the Top of the Amazon Sub-Forum. Know that she will not show the Body Language until she grows a bit. But it is important to know what you're looking for when she start.
- Provide a very wide and varied diet from the vary start. Yes, there will be a ton of waste - welcome to being owned by a Parrot.
- She is not a toy, she is a Parrot and although at first holding and petting maybe acceptable. She will reject it and when hormones hit, you may find that it only makes things worst.
- Let her learn to Fly in your home as it is part of her developing a strong Heart and Lung (air sack) that will support her for a lifetime.
- An Amazon's diet should not include Peanuts nor Sunflower seed.

Enjoy!
Tons, more!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Congratulations.
You are in for quite an eventful time.

My two Mexican red headed Amazons aka red crowned amazon aka green cheek amazons are the most active parrots I have.. Noisy too.

OP
S

Sixnickles

Jul 22, 2019
Thanks for the info! She won’t be coming home for a while for sure! And right now it’s mostly just me in the house. Kids gone so it’s too quiet! Looking forward to company!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations in advance, your patience with bird being fully weaned before acceptance will be richly rewarded!!

OP
S

Sixnickles

Jul 22, 2019
Thank you Scott! I have no intention to hand feed! I would like my baby “well done” lol!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Congratulations on the new family member, Sixnickles, how exciting!! Looking forward to some baby photos soon, please and thank you :)

OP
S

Sixnickles

Jul 22, 2019
Congratulations on the new family member, Sixnickles, how exciting!! Looking forward to some baby photos soon, please and thank you :)

Absolutely!! I?m sure we will have a million questions! But super excited!!:green1:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Congrats on your new baby/partner! Have you decided on a name yet? Has "she" been dna tested or are you just guessing lol..I did that with Amy,"assuming she was a she. Imagine my suprise after twenty-five years I desided to have "her" tested and found out she is a he! :eek: Could have renamed him Amos but what the heck he knows who he is lol.

Yes as Admiral 'Boats mentioned..a wellness check with a CERTIFIED Avian Vet is needed,not only to lay down a baseline of your parrots health from the get-go but for future reference.
Also the thread mentioned by 'boats is extremely benefitial,not only for Amazon's and their servants but for all parrots and their care givers (J.M.H.O.)
Pictures are a must here (j/K)..well...would be nice at least :59:

Jim

OP
S

Sixnickles

Jul 22, 2019
Congrats on your new baby/partner! Have you decided on a name yet? Has "she" been dna tested or are you just guessing lol..I did that with Amy,"assuming she was a she. Imagine my suprise after twenty-five years I desided to have "her" tested and found out she is a he! :eek: Could have renamed him Amos but what the heck he knows who he is lol.

Yes! ?She? is definitely a she. DNA tested! Her name is still up in the air lol!

Pics will be uploaded as soon as she arrives!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Remember to come home with her Hatch Certificate, which is an important document and is required for all Amazon in North America under the age of five years.

Assure your Avian Medical Professional has or makes a copy of the Document set and keeps it with her medical file.

This is a traveling document that will remain with her the rest of her life.

Most Reactions

Latest posts