Mexican red head Amazon

Kico2022

Mar 31, 2022
Parrots
Mexican red head
Good morning, I’ll be getting a 2 year old Mexican red head Amazon in May, I’m just wondering how can I introduce him to my 2 year old cat that’s fixed, has anybody had this experience, by the way I’m glad I found this group, will be on here more often asking questions, thank you all and have a wonderful day.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
That's so amazing! But however I would personally supervise carefully when introducing your cat and bird or just supervising when around them anytime at any point. Obviously cats are predators and birds are prey and we just never know with animals what could happen since they tend to be quick in movement and temperament. So to answer it, I would do it very slowly and cautiously. I don't know much about cats or their behavior but try to keep both animals away from each year when possible to prevent injury. Cat saliva is also very toxic to birds so please be careful on that end as well.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Congratulations on your Mexican red head.
I hope yours is a little quieter than mine.

I would keep cat/bird completely separate.
but that’s just me.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your forthcoming Amazon! Please use utmost caution and never trust parrot + cat within striking distance. Cats naturally drawn to motion and prey nature of birds. Saliva and nails contain robustly deadly bacteria, requiring immediate introduction of antibiotics. Please forgive the following, shared with respect and reverence for life: Despite prolific anecdotes of friendly cat + bird accommodation, our Bereavement Forum shares harrowing stories of heartbreak. Yes, they can share a household with utmost care and repeatable, fool-proof precautions!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome!

I agree that there's really no such thing as TOO careful when it comes to birds sharing a household with other animals. Out of all the cats I've had in my life, I've only had one that was "safe" to have in the room when our bird was out, and even then only when there were two humans in the room - one to hold the cat and one to entertain the bird so that they weren't sharing the same surfaces (and germs).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. I too urge the utmost caution when if comes to feline / parrot relationships. Far, far too many threads on here of the consequences of this. Even if they are not in direct contact, the mere presence of a cat can upset some parrots to the point where their lives are of one in constant fear, and that is no life for a creature as smart and sensitive as parrots are.

OP
Kico2022

Kico2022

Mar 31, 2022
Parrots
Mexican red head
Thank you all for responding, and giving me advice, all were good answers, glad I found this group, I know where to come now when I need advice about my Kico, you all have a wonderful day 👍🏼

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Welcome! We have a housecat and a parrot. Some cats have very high prey drive and it is inevitable that the motion/sounds of a parrot will trigger some kind of response from even the most languid of felines! Ours is a very spunky, active cat who will go into “hunt” mode even for birds outside the window, and as such she is not allowed anywhere near our parrot or his things, and we have multiple points of security (child locks for door, web cam on his room).

The reality is the risk of injury and death to your parrot is very significant. I am an anxious person by nature so I am disinclined to leave my parrot unattended if there is a possibility the cat can even gain access to the same room as him while caged; your mileage may vary.

Conveniently however, cats are crepuscular; so they tend to want to play first thing in the morning (which is when we give our bird his breakfast) & in the evening when your parrot will probably be starting to think about his bed. We find that has made it fairly easy to ensure both get their share of attention; that, and parrots (Amazons especially) need 12 hours of sleep, so while your birdie may go to bed at 8 or 9pm, your kitty-cat has several more hours to get all your attention!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have never been a proponent of mixing cats and parrots as sighted several times above.

Its your choice, but take extreme care!

I am a long time Amazon Nerd and have owned or knew well, near all the popular Amazons kept as Companions. Although, I have a love for Mexican red head Amazons, they can be very vocal and when on the floor can be very territorial and or aggressive! Especially, during Hormonal Season.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My two Mexican red headed amazon so far have shown no interest in the floor.
But they are very noisy. Both talk a little in a deep gravely voice.
Merlin(assumed male) is very active and playful.
Luna (assumed female) is more cage territorial and likes to attack me when I need to put my hand in the cage.

they are lots of fun to watch play, like featherd monkeys

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My two Mexican red headed amazon so far have shown no interest in the floor.
But they are very noisy. Both talk a little in a deep gravely voice.
Merlin(assumed male) is very active and playful.
Luna (assumed female) is more cage territorial and likes to attack me when I need to put my hand in the cage.

they are lots of fun to watch play, like featherd monkeys
I think they were in your March POTM entry right? They were adorable!

@Kico2022 , we would surely love to see you in the Amazon subforum! In case you haven’t read it, Sailboat has an excellent sticky on overall Amazon care, and Birdman666 has a helpful post on body language! I found both extremely useful when bringing our 30 y.o. Orange Wing home. I believe yours won’t hit sexual maturity until 5 years of age, so you’ve got a couple more years before he or she becomes a bit of a terror; lots of good info in both those threads to prepare you for that!

Most Reactions