New to forum and conures!

stickyfeet

Oct 27, 2013
Yellowknife, NT, Canada
Parrots
2 male green cheeks
Hi all,

Last week, we brought home new members of our family - 2 male green cheeked conures, one's a year old, the other 3 months. They had been kept together for nearly two months, and are very tight. We have experience with birds, but these are our first conures, so any advice would be most welcome!

We haven't named them yet - waiting for their personalities to emerge a little more. Their flight feathers are clipped, so they can't go very far for now, but we'll let them grow in. The younger one is quite brave, and goes on these big flaps and pinwheels to the floor. You can almost see the older one shake his head as he carefully climbs down to see if everything's okay. The little one loves vegetables, the older one likes the fruit more, although he seems to like peas and carrots as well - they are also on pellets. The older one is also hand tamed, and very responsive to us, while the younger one is a bit timid still. He is stepping up, but very quickly, and only to use it as a bridge to get back into the cage. They're very fun and active, and we're looking forward to spending lots of time with them.

I do have a question around a line of cookware called orgreenic. It's ceramic and aluminium, and has no PFOA, so no toxins. Does anyone have any experience with these pots and pans? We could use an upgrade on our cookware, so we're looking at this line.

And any advice on potty training would also be appreciated - they are prolific poopers!! :)

Thanks - good to be here!
Jacki

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's PTFE that you need to be concerned about... and as far as I know, Orgreenic does not contain PTFE. I don't have those pans though so no experience using them.

Look into positive reinforcement aka clicker training to train them! :)

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts