New to Parrots

Birdi

Jul 5, 2012
Ireland
Hi.. well firstly my name is Mick. Im from Ireland. I was on another parrot forum (an Irish one) but recieved no help or feedback on my questions:mad: so i am no here seeking advice.:confused:

Im starting to think about purchasing a pair of Parakeets? But am unsure what to start with? I have had Budgies in the past and a cockatiel once. Currently I have a lot of canaries and finches, Fifes,Foreigns and Natives. I am going to get rid of all of these tho come end of july. Reason I am changing is that I have not got the time for all these cages and feeding twice a day at the moment.
So two birds in an Aviary I was thinking would be less time consuming.

So I have a large aviary that has a stone shed attached. This is where I would keep the pair.
Has anybody got any Ideas on what I could start with? Again id rather not keep budgies or cockatiels.
Was thinking something like Indian Ringnecks? I hear they are very hardy? It will be an outside aviary so I would like birds that can acclimatise well to outdoor living. Advice of a Breeding Pair? Or a trio of cocks would they get on? Or could I put say A ringneck, a rosella together?

Lots of questions I know sorry.

Any Advice would be great.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Mick, welcome to the forum. I don't breed the type of birds you are looking at. Amazons and Tiels for me. I don't know how hardy IRNs are. How cold does it gets and could you help them out with warmth and shelter ? Another question might be ,what are your goals? breeding,pets ? Hopefully someone will come along and help you out with better answers. We have several member from the UK who might have better insight. Anyway,good luck and hope to see you around the forum.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Just some advice, if you dont have time for finches you definitley dont have enough time for a breeding pair of parrots. Breeding takes a lot of work(I speak from experience), it is a lot more work then just feeding and watering them.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
come on dog,really

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
come on dog,really

What, the experience part? I'm just trying to say that I know that it takes a lot more work to breed then to just feed and water finches. I don't have the experience you or some of the other guys/girls do on here, and I'm not trying to say that i do,but I understand the that it takes a lot of work, I have raised two clutches on my own so I do know what it takes.

OP
B

Birdi

Jul 5, 2012
Ireland
Just some advice, if you dont have time for finches you definitley dont have enough time for a breeding pair of parrots. Breeding takes a lot of work(I speak from experience), it is a lot more work then just feeding and watering them.

Hi I get what you are saying.. but I spend 2hrs in the morning and 2hrs in the evening with my birds weekdays and an extra hour on the weekends.
Now if I was going for just a breeding pair, that are in an outside aviary... I cant really see how me giving the parrots 4 hours of my time each day beneficial to proper breeding, if anything id be a hindrance.
Like I said in my original post im not 100% going for a breeding pair, A trio of **** birds would be an option too?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Males are very territorial so I would not go for that option.
Breeding pairs are also out of the question, so that leaves you with just females.

Most Reactions

Latest posts