New to the Forum and a few question about my birds

dtrotman

Sep 1, 2012
Delaware
Parrots
Two Umbrella Cockatoos
hello everyone i am new to this site. I own two umbrella cockatoo's, Eggbert and Boo. I have had them for about a year now and recently had to separate them as they where living together in the same cage and Boo decided to pluck Eggbert"s feathers.

My first question: is there any way that i might be able to assist his feather growth.

Second:With there being so much food available on the market and with two cockatoos i would like to know some of your suggestions on food options. they are also very picky eaters and tend to push a lot of food out and i would like to try to save on food and money... lol

Any help or advice you could give would be great!

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
Assuming the plucked bird isn't also plucking his own feathers, then they should grow back on their own in a few months. If not, then he's either plucking himself or has an issue a veterinarian is needed for.

For diet, with my crew, if I'm feeding them too much, then they will get picky. I ration all food. My large cockatoo gets about a tablespoon of pellets and a tablespoon of seed every day. I usually give that in the evening and she eats it fast because its her favorite. This means she's hungry in the morning and that is when I give the veggies, cooked food and sprouts. If she's full up on seed and pellets, of course she's going to throw the icky broccoli on the floor. If she's hungry then she's likely to eat it. If she thinks its icky, well then she has all day to sit and stare at the icky thing because she's got nothing else in her bowl to eat. Normally she will cave in and eat it eventually if she's hungry enough. Make sure you always weigh your bird daily first thing in the morning when you do a diet change to make sure they are really eating. Sometimes they will loose 10-20 grams if they are being really stubborn. But if more than that, the bird might not recognize what your offering as food and may well starve itself.

I usually offer one or two veggie items in small amounts that I know the birds like. And another few items that might be more nutritious but less favored. That way I know there is something good for them that they are willing to eat, but they dont' get enough of anything to fill up on so that they won't eat their peppers, or broccoli etc. Mine are generally hungry enough to eat most of their veggies, but its not uncommon to have a little left over of a less favored item. The important thing is that by an large, they eat most of it.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Welcome to the forum! I would suggest a visit to the vet. Its time for their yearly exam and blood work anyway if you've had them for a year. What is their diet like now? As in EVERYTHING that gets put into their mouths. A vet visit is extreamly important. Did they have full bloodwork done when you first got them? Im just wondering if they could be having some underlying condition that your unaware of or perhapse has developed a new one. Toos, depending on what their being fed, can be prone to liver and kidney issues. Any imbalance would def cause plucking/shredding. I would reccomend ruling that out first and then go from there. If the problem is organ function related it would need to be addressed before trying to treat it as a pychosocial issue. The bird with the plucked feathers may be doing it to its own self, even if it was started by the other bird - this bird may continue to do it.

When we got Rome, her previous owners had her for 14yrs. Outwardly she seemed healthy (except for shredding) bloodwork showed that she was almost in liver failure that turned out to be related to her diet.

OP
D

dtrotman

Sep 1, 2012
Delaware
Parrots
Two Umbrella Cockatoos
thank you all your great advice, Since we separated the two, Eggbert's Feathers have been growing back nicely and for who was doing the plucking? I witnessed Boo clipping his feather right off while they he was preening her. and ass for his diet, he has been getting a seed pellet mix and has food available to him all day. if we put any veg in his/her bowls they just eat around it or throw it on the floor.

freedwithwings204

Sep 2, 2012
United States
Parrots
1 year old Cinnamon Turquoise Indian Ringneck and a 10 year old TAG. (RIP Sydney, my silly 60 year old TAG, we miss you dearly)
Try all sorts of veggies, ( get what's in season, it's easier on the wallet) I've given the cockatoos everything from green beans, sugar snap peas and carrots. It's really a guessing game to see what they like. Some Cockatoos do like fruits, I've seen a few relish a slice of apple. All in all, it's a lot of trail and error. Also try feeding it to them when you have them out, or sharing some a bag of sugar snap peas with them, because eating is a social thing for birds, you can try making it fun for them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts