Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Try to talk to an actual person, and not just a customer service dink either, to get the real answer. Quality Control or Engineering. Jus because the cookin surface is not PTFE or other nonstick chemical coated, the heatin coils or elements maybe. Its done as a rust preventative measure, Customer service dinks are rarely aware of such measures.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Call and give them all of the full names and abbreviations for Teflon...PFFE, PFOA (abbreviation and full-name) +Teflon...Explain why it matters to you. Often times, they will have to call you back. This isn't something a sales-person would know (it is a detailed manufacturing question that isn't very common).

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
First of all never trust the word of a salesman in a store about this particular question!!!!! I don't know what store you were in looking at this, but if it was a place like Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. the salespeople aren't going to know the answer to that question off the top of their heads, and unless they had been asked the question prior and had actually called the manufacturer themselves, then they'd have absolutely no way of knowing...You must ALWAYS call the manufacturer of the product you're looking at and ask them this question directly!!! So you did the right thing, and you just need to keep calling them and asking the question...

As Noodles already mentioned, you do need to use the specifics when speaking to the manufacturer about this, because they HAVE to know the answer, it's something that they must know, but it's all about finding the right department/employee...If Black and Decker has a "Safety" or "Quality Control" department, or an "Environmental Risk" department, that's who you need to speak to...Just the same as the salesperson in the store, you cannot trust the word of a Black and Decker "customer service Rep" UNLESS they actually look the answer up or ask the correct department/employee, and they are able to produce written documentation that this specific product.

****Besides asking if this product specifically contains "Teflon", the other specific term you can use that their company scientists/developers use is "Flourinated Compounds/Flourinated Chemical Compounds", as this term encompasses ALL of the many specific compounds that are lethal to birds, such as PFOA, PTFE, etc. There are many of these Flourinated Compounds that are lethal, with PFOA and PTFE being 2 of the most common, but if you use that specific term, then you'll be covering all of them. Something that a lot of people don't understand is that "All Teflon contains Flourinated Compounds that are lethal, BUT not all lethal, Flourinated Compounds have to be contained in Teflon"...meaning that even if you are told that a product does not contain Teflon, that does not in any way mean that it doesn't still contain a non-stick coating or any type of coating that contains at least one lethal Flourinated Compound.
Therefore, you have to ask BOTH questions: Does this product contain Teflon?", AND "Does this product contain any Flourinated Chemical Compounds?"...

***Ironically, the car dealership that I work at has either exactly the same or extremely similar Toaster Oven in our customer lounge; we use it to toast bagel, and actually bake cookies, lol...Ours is a Black and Decker and looks exactly the same as this one, but ours is a multi-function one that is actually a Convection Oven, a Toaster, a Broiler, and then also has a simple "Reheat" function on the dial, just like a Microwave...It's a great product, works incredibly well, and we use it every single day...If I'm working the late shift I'll use this thing to actually cook my dinner, not reheat, but cook. We make mini-pizzas, pizza rolls, burritos, tacos, etc., it's great...And ours bakes because it's a Convection Oven, so we buy tubs/tubes of cookie dough and bake cookies on the little metal cookie sheets/baking trays that come with the oven...So I can highly recommend the product, but I have no idea whether it can be used around a bird...

Although now I'm going to worry about bringing any of my guys into the dealership again...

OP
G

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
Well I spoke to Black and Decker and so far (they are getting back to me with more info). They said they replaced the nonstick coating with a ZINC coating. I know zinc if ingested is bad for birds but not sure about it being in ovens etc and if they produce fumes. Does anyone have any information beyond speculation? thanks

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
As long as the bird can not get to the heating element a ainc coating is harmless. Its melting point is 788 deg Farenheight, way higher then the toaster will go.

OP
G

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
I spoke to Chicago Animal hospital and when asked if Zinc coating fumes would affect birds they said "Not that we are aware of. I checked with Dr. Horton. As you stated, make sure your bird is not eating any of this coating, but it shouldn't be an issue to cook in it like with teflon."

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Just make sure they do their end of the research on the actual inner components-- sometimes it is random where you will find these sorts of chemicals--- it sounds promising so far, but don't use the toaster until they get back to you (and with certainty)..That would be my plan, anyway...It has taken up to 4 days (when I have called), and on my hair-dryer, I had to call them back (they had my information in a file and warned me ahead of time...but still)... It sucks that there isn't a good database with safe kitchen/home products, but I guess things are always changing, so one poster's "safe" could be another poster's "not safe" (if ANYTHING in assembly/model # etc changed).

My parents live in what was my grandparents' house, and the toaster is older (not OLD...younger than me, but still "older" for an appliance..early 90s maybe?--I was regularly using a 1940's toaster in college (pre-bird)..so...old is relative..(and I am probably too young to have been doing that! lol)

ANYWAY, I digress:

My much-younger sister (who is an adult herself and home for the holidays) asked..."Can I toast a bagel or do you think it will hurt Noodles?" (BLESS HER!)...I know that particular toaster has been tolerable to at least 2 different VISITING birds (3 including mine)...but without having called, I am/was still nervous- It actually really stressed me out at the time...I am glad my littlest sister was so careful though (RECRUIT #1!) LOL...

I'm still looking for a cheap, bird-safe, clothing iron +board....Yes, old-school according to some, I know...I'm an old soul lol

Last edited:
OP
G

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
Noodles thank you, Im paranoid about everything regarding my lil baby. So far so good on the toaster but still waiting for more info. I currently use the waring
toaster but wanted to upgrade and having an air fryer within it sounds good.

OP
G

Grateful

Jul 25, 2013
The latest update on the Black and Decker Toaster air fryer oven. When asked about teflon and PTFE etc here was their response
"We do not use teflon in any of our products."
I then further asked to please make sure none of the other chemicals are used PFFE POFE. They said they are sending my Inquiry to the research department. Ill keep you posted

Most Reactions

Latest posts