Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We received one of these, a 4 quart Ninja brand air fryer. and of course we have the concerns about the heating element.
The food container says PTFE etc free, but the heating element is unknown. Anyone know for certain about this unit? If not, I am afraid we will not use it and it was a gift from my son ( who should have known better).

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I recall someone on PF had an air fryer and claimed after using it there birds died.
I don’t remember the brand of fryer.
Wes.

if heatin elements do have PTFE can it be safely burned of out side?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So much depends on ethics of manufacturers. Barring a renaissance in production and validated labeling, I'm inclined to use suspect high-heat devices outdoors whenever possible. While any PFOA device will outgas, I'm fairly comfortable using them at reduced operating temps in well ventilated areas.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I would like to know as well.
The only time I did research I could not find any that were safe. My parents really wanted to get me one, so I know I really searched at the time. But unfortunately I dont think I stuck it in my ornithology thread so nothing but my faulty memory to back that up...

Everyone says to do you own research and contact companies. Yet no article i found did anyone use one and claim it was safe.
Its just so scary since their aren't any do overs...whst if some components are outsource from a different manufacturer...
I wish companies would really take this issue seriously for parrot owners , and provide more. Many of us have contacted companies, I'm sure thousands plus have contacted companies so they are aware of this being a huge safety concern of parrot owners.
I have trust issues with just believing the person on the other end of the phone at a company.

Last edited:

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
The ninja brand air fryers are safe. I have one and I know of a lot of other bird owners who also have the ninja brand- we all use them regularly.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The difficulty is that the product 'air fryers' have not been around long enough for the average owner to want /need to take one apart.

My concern is that the technology was designed in North America, but has always been manufactured in China. From early-on the goal in the design and manufacturing has been to keep the price-point low.

We have steered clear of the product more because we do not fry foods very often if at all anymore.

We have friends that have one and they have from the beginning using it outside as a means of keeping the swell of frying out of the house. They are not Parrot Owners and use it fairly often when the kids visit.

Sorry good friend, but we have zero experience /knowledge.
If we were gifted one, it would be used outside like a grill.

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Fidget - BFA, Addy - Red Lored
We received one of these, a 4 quart Ninja brand air fryer. and of course we have the concerns about the heating element.
The food container says PTFE etc free, but the heating element is unknown. Anyone know for certain about this unit? If not, I am afraid we will not use it and it was a gift from my son ( who should have known better).

I have this exact air fryer and use it all the time in the same room with my BFA. After running it through the cycle several times outside, to burn off the 'new' it works great and no ill effects. On Amazon a company rep stated that this one is PFOA and PTFE free.

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Fidget - BFA, Addy - Red Lored
The ninja brand air fryers are safe. I have one and I know of a lot of other bird owners who also have the ninja brand- we all use them regularly.
Hi, I have a 4 qt Ninja AF and it works great with no issues. However, I am wanting to get the double basket Ninja AF (10 qt, Model DZ401)). Do any of your bird owner friends have that one? If so, are there any issues? I cant seem to find a straight answer about it being PFOA and PTFE free? Both coatings look and feel exactly the same but I want to be sure.

Thanks

Most Reactions