No Alien EMF 5G’s Allowed!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
At least, not if they’re trying to get thru my window casings! My window surrounds are now fully surrounded by Aluminum Foil.

Haha no, I'm not tin-foil-hat-wearer.

Calliope my little chewing explorer is No Longer Satisfied by daily destruction of a carrot. Or two, or three carrots. And the wood chewing blocks are insufficient also.

She seems determined to chew herself a nest in (and thru) the wood window casement. I should be worried about the property destruction, I guess. And should be worried about the chemical composition of the wood. Or about what critters will come IN once she has made herself a nice nest hole thru the casing. (I am allergic to bees! Of which there are plenty already looking for likely holes..)

BUT my main fear, my great terror, is that at some point, I find my little Calliope happily chewing an endlessly enlarging hole, thru which Jefferson and Sunny will have already slipped into the great outdoors, for encounters with our local eagles, hawks, owls, and turkey vultures.

So for now. I used Elmers School Glue (well the storebrand version) - since it's non-toxic, no fumes, theoretically removable, etc - and glued Aluminum Foil to cover the window wood. I am HOPING that, just like human teeth, perhaps her little beak will not like the feeling of aluminum foil?

(If not, my next solution will be to purchase some steel mesh and tack it to all the window casings. I'm hoping the foil will be sufficient, instead.)

EFyaUTA.jpg

kQ0Bp2I.jpg

Attachments

• 064F5013-2755-4A0F-9680-E680E5674F9C.jpg
    064F5013-2755-4A0F-9680-E680E5674F9C.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 6A14EDED-002F-4718-9F8E-0E2DB3E9EC7A.jpg
    6A14EDED-002F-4718-9F8E-0E2DB3E9EC7A.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Calliope enjoys curtain spelunking in her spare time, when not attempting to tunnel thru windows.

nh6LiKS.jpg

BzmwlSI.jpg

ICQx6Js.jpg

Attachments

• curtain spelunk-v.jpg
    curtain spelunk-v.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 113
  • curtain spelunk r1-1.jpg
    curtain spelunk r1-1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 87
  • curtain spelunk r2-2.jpg
    curtain spelunk r2-2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
(ps I do not understand why ALL pics go sideways. I saved the pic of Calliope in the curtains rotated Every different way, and then uploaded three of them. They are Different Rotations as saved to my computer -- how does parrotforum Always know which is the Wrong way for my photos and makes sure it goes that way? It's quite discouraging.

...Heh, maybe it really is those aliens! Maybe I need to apply that tinfoil hat atop my computer too!)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Jen I will thwart those pesky aliens and fix these pics up for you!

I too had all sorts of problems getting pics to line up properly when uploaded directly. You may consider linking them from Fb, or perhaps creating a free account on Imgur. You can keep them "hidden" from general view and just link them straight from there. Best of all there is no limit on the number of images you can upload (well I haven't struck one yet anyway) and it's free! :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
LOL- (ah the alien reference). This is cute, for sure.

Now here I go with my hormones speech. Wrapped in the curtain like that, plus the obsessive chewing of that area is very nesty. Noodles splinters wood and any object she can find in a nesty area like that. I'm done now.

I think this is adorable at face value! I just know that my bird would love nothing more than to roll around in curtains and eat my windows for a new nest.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hmmm, was pondering the reasoning that Parrots are so attracted to such places. Is it possible that their cages are too plain and do not provide them building material that they normally would used to create nest like structures? Yes, they require us to remove them multiple times a day. Tons of work, but likely better and less expensive than installing new windows.

Just musing.

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Jen I will thwart those pesky aliens and fix these pics up for you!

I too had all sorts of problems getting pics to line up properly when uploaded directly. You may consider linking them from Fb, or perhaps creating a free account on Imgur. You can keep them "hidden" from general view and just link them straight from there. Best of all there is no limit on the number of images you can upload (well I haven't struck one yet anyway) and it's free! :)

Thank you for your help with the pics. :)

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Hmmm, was pondering the reasoning that Parrots are so attracted to such places. Is it possible that their cages are too plain and do not provide them building material that they normally would used to create nest like structures? Yes, they require us to remove them multiple times a day. Tons of work, but likely better and less expensive than installing new windows.

Just musing.

Pretty sure it's not due to a plain cage. Their cage is huge and has a variety of contents and perches; on top of that they have fully access to Sunny's cage (during the day) which is a veritable playland of toys and perches. I think they just view window frames as the most-ideal spots for potential nest-holes, as they have the largest-degrees views all around both inside and out, and also have window-top-ledge as a protective overhang besides

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
LOL- (ah the alien reference). This is cute, for sure.

Now here I go with my hormones speech. Wrapped in the curtain like that, plus the obsessive chewing of that area is very nesty. Noodles splinters wood and any object she can find in a nesty area like that. I'm done now.

I think this is adorable at face value! I just know that my bird would love nothing more than to roll around in curtains and eat my windows for a new nest.

Yes. It is absolutely hormones. Unfortunately removing curtains is not realistic - I live in on the first-floor of a new-england double-decker, with the tiny closets but luxuriously tall, uniquely-sized windows in every room, which were a necessity for lighting before electrical lights became commonplace.

I could lock Calliope in her cage, and if it weren't for Jefferson she would be happy enough. BUT. Jefferson. Mr. Lives-To-Fly Jefferson (1) doesn't want to be separated from Calliope more than momentarily and (2) does NOT want to be locked up. Also (3) thinks everyone else should fly too.

So anyway I already knew it was hormones. REMoving curtains from all windows every day and replacing them at night is not a viable option for me. However, I have gone to Not tying them back every day, rather letting some of them hang straight and just push at the rod. Why? Well because Calliope, discouraged from chewing a nest-hole into the front windowframe, has gotten Very Nesty up at the top ruffles of the curtains, ALONG with her tunnel-exploring of the draped parts.

And guess what! Last night she deposited a little tiny cutest tiny little egg in the bottom of her cage. Must've Dropped it, Im pretty sure she not did take herself to the bottom at all during the time it appeared.

And, then she ignored it. I moved it to a different in-cage spot for just-in-case. (But I'm pretty sure it's been abandoned long enough now, to not be viable even IF it's fertilized.) Now I am keeping an eye out for further eggs...

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Do male Amazon's nest? I have no idea. I do have to hang an old bath towel to the side of his mansion that faces BB's condo though or Amy will just hang upside down in his house from that side and constantly do his head bobbing thing at Beebers. At times (especially when it's bed time) he will rip his basement carpet into shreds by that side of his mansion.

Jim

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Do male Amazon's nest? I have no idea. I do have to hang an old bath towel to the side of his mansion that faces BB's condo though or Amy will just hang upside down in his house from that side and constantly do his head bobbing thing at Beebers. At times (especially when it's bed time) he will rip his basement carpet into shreds by that side of his mansion.

Jim

I dunno Jim, sounds like love to me! :smile015:

Anytime, Jen! Not entirely surprised your Calliope has produced an egg, and where there's one there's often at least one other! Hopefully whatever else she may have in store passes without incident. I have a daily struggle with a certain lorikeet who is desperate to nest somewhere anywhere she is not fussy. Let me tell you if she picks up any bright ideas via spooky 5G telepathic brainwaves from your little hen i will not be impressed!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

Jim

I dunno Jim, sounds like love to me! :smile015:

Anytime, Jen! Not entirely surprised your Calliope has produced an egg, and where there's one there's often at least one other! Hopefully whatever else she may have in store passes without incident. I have a daily struggle with a certain lorikeet who is desperate to nest somewhere anywhere she is not fussy. Let me tell you if she picks up any bright ideas via spooky 5G telepathic brainwaves from your little hen i will not be impressed!!

thats EXACTLY what David says,Martina lmao :54:

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts