Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Māui (white bellied caique)
Im going to be getting a parrot within the next year and Iā€™m a bit of an avid gardener so I want to make sure Iā€™m across what plants the bird definitely canā€™t be allowed near.

Iā€™m in Australia so I mostly grow natives in the garden (red wattle, Eucalyptus, grevilleas, kangaroo paws, nsw Christmas bush, bottlebrush) but I also have a succulent collection outside (2 small cactuses live inside) and some cottage flowers (daffodils, flame puff flowers, assorted herbs, rainbow chillies ).

I found this website and Iā€™m a little confused as some plants listed as safe branches/foliage are also listed as toxic and unsafe? Can someone explain the difference?
Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I may be missing something but I donā€™t see any duplications. Can you give an example of what you are seeing?

OP
Ezekiell

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Māui (white bellied caique)
For example, eucalyptus is listed under safe branches but also under toxic plants. Im assuming that is because the leaves are toxic?
Same thing with pine; its listed under safe branches but also under toxic plants.
And wattle is just toxic plant so Im assuming literally no part of the plant is ok.

Im trying to figure out if the very few that are on 2 lists are simply because the wood and the leaves have different properties that make one or the other toxic?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
i See what you are talking about. Itā€™s actually pretty clear since they tell you right there when it will be toxic, when itā€™s dried, etc. Fresh branches/leaves are perfectly safe.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Ooooooooooooooh... i hope you'll grow your bird some chiles!
Peppers are a great source of vitamins AND they're easy to offer.
Common wisdom is that parrots have such poor taste and smell that hot peppers really excite and stimulate them. And they're very healthy (lots of good green and great nutrients)! So I give the Rickeybird lots! The only downside... when he eats a pepper, then preens, then wants to cudddle, it's a very incendiary experience.
I buy several kinds...
Poblanos, to stuff the end between the bars tightly (above a perch) so the Rbird can nibble at his leisure.
Jalapenos and Serranos, to toss into the cage's snack-bowl, to trick him into entering so I can shut the door. There's no such thing as a chile that isn't good for them. If he absolutely does NOT want to go back into his cage, a big fat Anaheim will always do the trick.
I have posted vids of the Rb enjoying his chiles, and he is RAPTUROUS!

BargleBeast

Mar 29, 2019
Those lists tend to be a nightmare to deal with, and often say conflicting things. My understanding is that eucalyptus is safe for birds, but it's always a good idea to check with your vet. Citrus trees make good houseplants to have with birds.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
To add to this thread (resurrect, even ha...given the subject matter): a friend brought over a Calla Lily plant.

I wasn't on the ball about looking it up when I received it - it's been about two days since, in a quiet moment of curious contemplation, I felt prompted to do so. Turns out - it's extremely toxic to birds. This is while both fids were nearby, out-of-cage, and I was puttering around. Always look this stuff up!

https://brookfallsveterinary.com/pet-library/bird-articles/toxic-plants/

Have any moderators yet stickied a reference as above for easy perusal?

Most Reactions

Latest posts