onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I decided to make one thread to share Ona updates so it’s all consolidated in one place. I’ve see a few others on the forum do this and think it’s a great idea! I have always have so many updates to share since she’s a new baby discovering everything for the first time ❤️ And she’s just too cute not to share.

Today was her second day home. So far everything has been going SO well. Even better than I anticipated. We had a lot of firsts today:

First blackberry and first carrot:
6CCC4BDD-3AA2-4FF4-AE00-40379AE6783E.jpeg

3A2D05E3-45AB-4038-B6D9-9C0D57821F87.jpeg

When I first showed her the blackberry she was afraid of it. Then I ate one in front of her and she was astonished and amazed. Then she began eating hers. She made quite the mess 😂 Later she ate the carrot with no hesitation.

We also walked her around for a house tour today and had her FIRST BATH! I didn’t know how she would react to the water. I just made a small trickle in the sink and first I let the water bounce from my hand onto her gently. She quickly was chirping with excitement and fully bathing on her own. This was the aftermath 😂❤️

2F197A75-2BB8-45C7-BBE2-19BC7009E85C.jpeg

We’ve been working a lot on step up and step off. Step up she’s pretty good at most of the time. She’s slowly becoming interested in the toys in her cage.

My dogs have been separated from her so far but when they have seen her they have shown no interest in her at all. Not even barking.

We’re working on a balance of in and out of cage time to get her acclimated to everything. She’s taking it all in like a champ.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
PS - if you notice a beak crack in her photos it’s from an old injury she had at the breeder’s several weeks ago. Luckily she’s been healing great from it.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Oh this could not be a better homecoming!

I laughed out loud and scare dmy backyard songbirds at your description of the first blackberry! 😆
Oh it was so cute! Her face said it all. She was like “you’re eating it?! Ooooh”

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I decided to make one thread to share Ona updates so it’s all consolidated in one place. I’ve see a few others on the forum do this and think it’s a great idea! I have always have so many updates to share since she’s a new baby discovering everything for the first time ❤️ And she’s just too cute not to share.

Today was her second day home. So far everything has been going SO well. Even better than I anticipated. We had a lot of firsts today:

First blackberry and first carrot:
View attachment 41911

View attachment 41912
When I first showed her the blackberry she was afraid of it. Then I ate one in front of her and she was astonished and amazed. Then she began eating hers. She made quite the mess 😂 Later she ate the carrot with no hesitation.

We also walked her around for a house tour today and had her FIRST BATH! I didn’t know how she would react to the water. I just made a small trickle in the sink and first I let the water bounce from my hand onto her gently. She quickly was chirping with excitement and fully bathing on her own. This was the aftermath 😂❤️

View attachment 41913

We’ve been working a lot on step up and step off. Step up she’s pretty good at most of the time. She’s slowly becoming interested in the toys in her cage.

My dogs have been separated from her so far but when they have seen her they have shown no interest in her at all. Not even barking.

We’re working on a balance of in and out of cage time to get her acclimated to everything. She’s taking it all in like a champ.
Oh your little girlie just has the prettiest eyes, doesn't she? And GCCs do love a bath but I must say I'm surprised that she jumped straight in so quickly, it must mean she's very comfortable with you. Don't turn your back on her for a second will you, cos I might just sneak over there and kidnap her! :love:

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
She’s still adjusting so well! I’m really amazed at how she went from a bit timid at the breeder’s to just full on at home with us so fast.

Here she is helping me work:
6437BDA0-8673-4391-AB12-7BAC19E2D1ED.jpeg

She’s becoming quite the little piggy and is completely obsessed with carrots. I swear she spends at least 50% of her day eating. Here she is having lunch with me.

8E69AFE8-71C5-4F18-9851-B690E649212B.jpeg

Learning to use the ladder between her temp cage and play stand:

She did bite my husband today because he picked up a piece of spinach that was on her plate while she was eating. Didn’t break the skin or anything. Not sure how to work with her on that. I think it’s just because she LOVES her food. She doesn’t like to be bothered while she’s eating.

We’ve taken her outside in her carrier briefly twice. The first day she screamed almost the whole time. Maybe because she saw the birds on my bird feeder. Tried again today and she was better.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Conures have a bifurcated beak, basically it grows out in two parts and fast like a beavers teeth so any crack will go away. as long as the bird eats a lot, seems to, then no problem. If not, it may need a beak trim in the future, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure it gets calcium as part of it's diet. "then beak will be strong like bull".

Biting but not drawing blood over food territorialism not a bad thing and once it figures out there is tons of food all the time, that won't even be a thing anymore....it will be more..."no you had a slice of our pizza bigger than you are somehow, no more"

As far as I can tell you are A+ bird owners. That or your bird is brave and exceptional.

My advice work on potty training now so it poops where you want it to otherwise it will be like meh the T shirt is fine too. this is the age to start that. As you get it out take to sink area of bathroom or toilet and tell it to poop.

Veggies are good, fruit is good. Buy fruit you like then eat it, tell the conure it can't have any, then ignore fruit as conure steals bites of fruit. Super effective. Actually this works with all types of food.

Also I see no flight feathers, work on recall commands on the floor. Crawl away and use "come on" or "return" or "Ona" and get it used to coming to you then if you let her get flighted continue those exercises. RECALL TRAINING is one thing every owner should do.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Conures have a bifurcated beak, basically it grows out in two parts and fast like a beavers teeth so any crack will go away. as long as the bird eats a lot, seems to, then no problem. If not, it may need a beak trim in the future, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure it gets calcium as part of it's diet. "then beak will be strong like bull".

Biting but not drawing blood over food territorialism not a bad thing and once it figures out there is tons of food all the time, that won't even be a thing anymore....it will be more..."no you had a slice of our pizza bigger than you are somehow, no more"

As far as I can tell you are A+ bird owners. That or your bird is brave and exceptional.

My advice work on potty training now so it poops where you want it to otherwise it will be like meh the T shirt is fine too. this is the age to start that. As you get it out take to sink area of bathroom or toilet and tell it to poop.

Veggies are good, fruit is good. Buy fruit you like then eat it, tell the conure it can't have any, then ignore fruit as conure steals bites of fruit. Super effective. Actually this works with all types of food.

Also I see no flight feathers, work on recall commands on the floor. Crawl away and use "come on" or "return" or "Ona" and get it used to coming to you then if you let her get flighted continue those exercises. RECALL TRAINING is one thing every owner should do.
Love this - thanks for the tips. I’d love to potty train and recall train. Right now I’m working on step up and “off” and we just barely started trying target training. She’s pretty good at step up already but I’m still training it to get her more consistent. Usually the times she doesn’t do it is when she’s on someone else’s hand or when she’s on top of her cage. Then I usually have to ask her a few times 😊

I think my next goal is target training while continuing step up and off then recall next. I’ll try to start potty training too. I have learned she doesn’t like to do her morning poop in the cage so I think that’s a good opportunity to run her to the sink or something and tell her to 💩

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I’ll try to start potty training too. I have learned she doesn’t like to do her morning poop in the cage so I think that’s a good opportunity to run her to the sink or something and tell her to 💩
I wouldn't reccomend telling the bird to go potty- she will learn to hold it until you tell her to do it- not good!

The best to do is take her to a specific area and if she poops there, you reward her with treats so she learns if she goes do it in a specific area that it is more rewarding. I reccomend teaching them to do it in different areas so that if one area is unavailable that she has another area to do it.

I accidentally taught Pippen to poop on the cloth I carry on my shoulder when she perches on me, which isn't really a bad thing. She poops on the floor if the cloth is unavailable, but will try to hold it until she sees the cloth. I think she learnt it because I take her off my shoulder if she climbs on it without the cloth and only if I put the cloth on will I let her get back on.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Oh, it’s Ona! She’s so cute and the look on her face after she eats the berry is priceless. Greencheek conures have such pretty big eyes with that white eye ring.

I want to warn you about that beak injury. My first Quaker had an injury that looked like that, when boarding her, a big bird bit her and took a chunk out of her beak. The beak was not as hard and shiny where it grew out from there.

You need to have a vet keep an eye on this beak injury. The beak is live and growing at the point of damage. The vet may have to help you manage this to keep the beak outgrowth correct.

I’m not trying to be mean or inflammatory but just to warn you she could have some issues with that injury. Not that such issues would make her a bad pet! Just keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Oh, it’s Ona! She’s so cute and the look on her face after she eats the berry is priceless. Greencheek conures have such pretty big eyes with that white eye ring.

I want to warn you about that beak injury. My first Quaker had an injury that looked like that, when boarding her, a big bird bit her and took a chunk out of her beak. The beak was not as hard and shiny where it grew out from there.

You need to have a vet keep an eye on this beak injury. The beak is live and growing at the point of damage. The vet may have to help you manage this to keep the beak outgrowth correct.

I’m not trying to be mean or inflammatory but just to warn you she could have some issues with that injury. Not that such issues would make her a bad pet! Just keep an eye on it.
Yeah, it was hurt from a larger bird biting her. 😞 She went to the vet after it happened and will be going again soon for her baby checkup. I’ve definitely been keeping an eye on it and am curious to hear what a vet will say about it.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m glad you’ve got it(beak issue) covered and just wanted to be sure you were aware. I didn’t know to be concerned (was advised not to worry by ER vet) when my Gonzo was bitten, many years ago.

She is a cute bird and it sounds like she’s getting a good start in a loving home!🥰

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
And we’re learning tricks!

85F63146-D669-4ADB-87A9-9ABD2BAD22CB.jpeg

Her favorite snuggle pose. I think she’s molting. She has several pin feathers on her head.

We can tell she’s settling in because she’s getting louder and more sassy 😂

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I just made a targeting pointer so I can try to teach Willow how to “dance” (turn around).

And how old is this baby Ona? Very impressive!
Thank you! She will be 12 weeks Tuesday. When I say she loves food I’m not kidding! Her nickname is becoming “piggy” and she will do anything to get that treat 😂 She’s a fast learner when there’s food reward.

Most Reactions

Latest posts