Opinion on Adoption

Style

Nov 30, 2012
Minnesota
Parrots
Mimic - Blue Front Conure
Bandit - Red Lored Amazon
Smokey - African Grey
I am former owner of an old adopted conure named Peter. He died about a year and a half ago of old age. I have recently started looking to adopt a new conure, and have found one, but I'm a little worried about the situation, and I'd like to get some opinions.

My situation (I think) is pretty good for a bird: I'm single, and have a big house. Tons of windows and sunlight even in winter. I have enough visitors to socialize a bird, but not so many as to be alarming. I work from home once a week, and am pretty much a home-body so have plenty of time to bond/give attention. I have a cat that is completely docile, even towards birds.

The conures situation is what concerns me. My information is limited so far, and probably won't improve much, but what I do know makes me wonder if this particular animal is right for me: He's plucked almost all of his feathers, and I don't know the cause. He lives with 3 proper parrots: 2 Macaws, and an African Grey.

His owners are aging, and on fixed income and just can't take care of him (or the others) any more. I understand the husband isn't expected to make it another year. But a bird that's pretty much plucked himself clean concerns me, and apparently he's a biter, but I think I can deal with that. It's also about removing him from people that are around 24x7, and the other birds... Conures bond, and are ridiculously social, if he already has issues, what more are going to be created from removing him from all that socializing?

Of course, the other birds could be cause of the anxiety and the plucking, limited income could suggest poor diet... etc, the variables are just too many, and I don't know if I'll know any more than I know now before I have to make a decision.

I'll attach a picture of him so you can see what he looks like. Look at his cage: no toys. I know I can provide better, but will it make any difference?

Any opinions/wisdom/advise would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• P1020140.jpg
    P1020140.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 370

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Poor baby! My heart really goes out for the little guy.

That said, my opinion on adopting a parrot with some obvious issues is that it's not for everyone. Most parrots who are up for adoption or "rehoming" come with a lot of emotional baggage, behavioral issues, medical issues ect... Only those willing to put in the time, effort and expense to help these special animals become loving companions should adopt one. If you aren't 100% on board to help this little guy, you will only be further contributing to his misery when you rehome in 6 months because he's once again misunderstood and not receiving the (emotional) care he needs. Personally, when my husband and I decided on a parrot, we seeked out a challenge. Our BFA had spent the majority of his 10 years on this planet at that point locked in a tiny dog crate, no perch, no toys and never handled. He was, understandably, not a very nice bird when we brought him home. It took a lot of effort and patience to socialize him. But we knew what we were getting into and accepted the challenge. Today, he is the sweetest, most adorable little guy, and all around an entirely different bird than the scared, confused and angry one we brought home. For us, it was one of the most rewarding experiences we've ever had to watch him make a complete behavioral turnaround. The effort (and numerous bites in the beginning) was well worth the reward. I wouldn't trade him for the world, and couldn't imagine life without him now. We are happy with a single bird at the moment, but if we ever decided on a second, we would 100% seek out another "difficult" bird. It's just a great feeling to know you've helped an animal in need. Only you can decide if your willing to put in the effort to gain the rewards of a beautiful little creature brightening up your life. Parrots are such special creatures who are too often completely misunderstood, and deserve a home they can thrive and reach their full potential in. Take the time you need to make the decision if you are truly willing to provide a great life to that little cutie in the picture. :green:

Lee11

Oct 23, 2012
New York
Parrots
maroon bellied conure
That is a serious feather plucking issue......
I really hope you have the time to devote to this bird and hopefully cure him of this problem. It would be great to see him happy and feathered down the line thanks to your care:)

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I agree with Kiwibird :)

It depends entirely on what you feel you can manage and what you want for yourself. There is no shame in not being able to tolerate a problem bird.

Most importantly getting a problem bird means having the patience of a saint :) Above all else. You dont even have to be that knowledgable in rehabilitation... you just need to be so calm and patient that people envy you for your peaceful disposition :D

Taking on any kind of problem animal means never expecting or requiring results... being at peace with their issues and loving them regardless. :D :D
You must be able to be happy with a bird who may never change and love him as he is, right now... bald and bitey!! LOL. If you know with everything you are that you can... then go for it! Most importantly this guy will need you to stick it out no matter what, it wont take much effort to improve his life, just a lot of patience and zero expectation. Plucking may now be a habit for him, but that doesnt make him any less of a special little bird :) I have owned many bitey parrots over the years and there hasnt been one I havent been able to train out of a chronic biting habit. Again, it takes patience, understanding and no expectation of results. Slow progress is not failure. :)

If you have the time and patience for this little guy...

Best case scenario... you are the love of his life! You provide him with the emotional and intellectual stimulation that he needed... he stops plucking, stops biting and becomes a fully balanced and happy little guy :)

Worst case scenario... he hates being removed from his home and current situation, he doesn't stop plucking and develops a screaming problem on top of the biting and plucking. With time, patience and work this could be improved.

So yeah, have a think about it. Personally... problem creatures can be the most rewarding of all... even if they never end up as "good" as their species on average... even the smallest improvement gives you huge joy. But its not for everyone and there is no problem with not being able to cope with a difficult animal. Some people just dont have the calm for it. If you have low tolerance for a lot of things, then a problem bird is definitely not going to do well in your company and you'll just be stressed out to the max.
I am personally extremely calm and subdued. I have been rehabilitating animals, mostly dogs, for a very long time :) The more you do it, the calmer person you become. Your tolerance ends up through the roof LOL And you are the person people end up looking to in times of crisis. Again, a very rewarding position to be in in life :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Considering the feather damage, I highly doubt he'll ever be fully refeathered again. If the feather follicles become far too damaged, it'll prevent future regrowth... and if you accept the fact that he may look like that for the rest of his life, and willing to work with him, by all means, go for it!

Conures are nippy and loud to begin with... so that's not unusual, either... but they can make great companions! Because of my special needs cherry head (RIP), I've fallen in love with the species! He had a bald spot on the back of his head, a bare stomach (probably a combination of ferret attack and mutilation), had bad eyesight, couldn't fly and had a poor grip. Even though he didn't care much for human companionship, he was still extremely special to me! I don't regret the time I was able to spend with him, but I do miss him! The thing I regret the most was not being able to give him the life he should have had, one without pain and disabilities.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If you can provide better care for the bird, go for it! I've got a plucked bird that I actually paid money for to just take her home. Cause I know I can provide a better environment for her, plucking is a hard issue to deal with and hard thing to stop. You just have to make certain adjustments like not leaving the house too cold cause they don't have any feathers to keep themselves warm. But they do have little body suits you can put on him to keep him warm. And yes some toys for him to play with would be nice!

When I see a bird in need, I don't care about the cost of vet care and such, as long as I can make a difference, I do it! All it takes is a lot of time and patience to tame the bird down as there's different methods in doing so such as clicker training! Get him on a good diet will help tremendously.

To adopt him or not is really up to you on how you feel about the situation and if your willing to take on such a task. For me, I'll take on the task, but that's just me....

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Oh how sad. I hope so much that you will be able to save this poor baby. Look at his cage - It looks bare. He must be bored and miserable. Just giving him toys, love, attention, activity, good food, companionship will make his life a wonder compared to what he has now.

It would be good if you can go over and spend a significant amount of time with him. See how he interacts with the other birds. There is no way to know if someone else would adopt all three together, so see how the bird does, perhaps, if you separate him - like take his cage in another room, or if you are in a warm climate, take cage outside -- (when was last time this bird had any real outdoor sunshine, or fresh food, i wonder!). Ask if you can bring over some fresh treats (piece of apple, carrot, green bean, peas, etc.) and see how he does with that while you interact with him. A toy would be good too, so you can play with him - whatever you can think of from home, maybe a golf or tennis ball, plastic or stainless measuring cup or spoons, a clean shoe-lace tied in knots. A towel and a dowel in case you want to try him on your arm or lap.

You might find something completely different than a bad situation for the potential rehoming.

I'll tell you this short story so that hopefully you won't be concerned about a "perfect" looking bird. Pritti plucked after a traumatic time about 16 years ago - he is not permanently plucked on his legs and front. But he seems perfectly fine with it. Doesn't pluck any longer though. Interesting that when non-birdy people meet him, they don't even know that he's supposed to have feather there. They comment on how beautiful he is and his character.

Keep us posted.

OP
S

Style

Nov 30, 2012
Minnesota
Parrots
Smokey - African Grey
Thank you everyone for your honest, and optimistic input.

I have planed a trip to visit, and most likely (depending on his opinion of me) will bring him home next Sunday. I will be taking a significant care package along (for all 4 birds), with proper food and treats for the the whole team.

New facts: He's 24yo, a Blue-Crown, and was wild caught! I have never dealt with a wild caught bird before... does this change any of the advise/input that the forum has provided?

The current owner seems to be under the impression that he will live 40-50 years. My internet research tells me 25-30. Does anyone know, is this difference in the longevity of wild caught birds vs breeders, or is this just bad information?

Note: this won't change my decision: as long as he doesn't hate me: he's coming to live with me. I just like to be prepared.

Apparently he had free run of the house until the larger birds were introduced. Then he was put inside his cage for his own safety, and doesn't come out anymore. I don't know how long that's been going on, but considering his plucking, it's probably been a long time.

Thanks again for all your input! I will absolutely keep everyone updated.

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
I'm new to conures too and most parrot stuff in general, but not to adopting animals. I've recently brought in a 14 month old red throat conure who's owner passed away unexpectedly and was living in not-so-good conditions with this daughter who was actually considering releasing him in a park. It's been rough for a few weeks but he's coming around, and our companionship and friendship has already blossomed into so much. I agree with the first post that it's not for everyone, but judging by your posts, compassion and care for the animal and what it's been through, I'd say you're more than fit to give this guy a great home. Good luck with your decision and future travels with whatever you pick!

OP
S

Style

Nov 30, 2012
Minnesota
Parrots
Smokey - African Grey
Specifically: I'd like to thank Thingamagigs for honestly pointing out a worse case scenario, and WannaBeAParrot for reminding us that beauty is on the inside.

Please don't stop posting, I still want to hear everyone’s opinion. After I meet him next Sunday, I'll provide a huge update.

Thanks again!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Yes, it's possible for conures to live into their 40's, but it's not really well known for conures to live past their 30's, if that. Health, genetics, diet, etc all play a role in longevity, among other things.

Considering his age and diet, it would be wise to get a full blood panel done to check his organ functions.

Many wild caught imports were captured straight from the nest, so many don't really know what it's like to be wild in the fullest extent... and wild caughts can make great pets, too!

I don't know about my cherry head but I know my mitred conure is a first generation captive bred bird. Many believe that the offspring will get the traits of their parents... i.e. if the parents pluck, the chicks will pluck. If Charlie's parents were both wild caught, then he should, in theory, act like a wild caught. To me, he seems like every other captive raised conure out there! My a-vet things he's different from other conures, but then she's interacted with far more than I have! So who knows!

Most Reactions