opinion on having 2 conures togethere?

alliah

Apr 24, 2013
I have a 3 year old green cheek conure. I was thinking about getting him a buddy. do 2 conures do good together? Do they do ok will parotletts, parakeets etc? has anyone ever tried this?

thanks!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
He may not react well to any other bird you get. I would use separate cages for sure.
Parrotlets can be quite territorial and I have found that they don't really play well with others, sometimes not even other parrotlets. I would be leaning toward another conure if it was me:)

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
It's entirely possible to keep two conures together but it's not something that you should ever expect or depend on happening. If you add a second conure to the mix, expect it to live its life in a separate cage and anything beyond that is a bonus. Even then things can change between them and they may no longer get along. Someone posted here very recently about their sun and gcc not getting along at all anymore.
I had a blue crown conure that tolerated most other conures (but not 'tiels or lovebirds) outside of the cage. I had two gcc's that didn't like each other at all and then I lost one. I then got a black-capped conure and he and the remaining gcc got along very well right from the beginning and have been caged together for nearly 12 years.

SweetieBird

Jan 2, 2014
Sunny Florida
Parrots
Bongo: B&G Macaw - Tikki: Mustache Parakeet - Baby: Sun Conure
I would start with a 2nd cage in the same room so they can get use to each other. Our local sanctuary has 4 Nandays and 2 Monks living in the same cage.

ErichT

Jan 5, 2014
Media
Spring Hill,Florida
Parrots
Mango - Sun Conure
Kiwi- Green Cheek Conure
I have a SUN and a GCC in the same cage and they do well for the most part. I may just have gotten lucky though. It is a pretty large cage .
photo.php

Most Reactions