Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
An article and hand rearing health issues
https://arizonaparrots.com/2017/02/10/hand-feeding-problems-possible-solutions/

below information has been kindly supplied by Cheryl Lake
The Lactobacillus Acidophilus is a source of a viable growth, preparation for flight, illness and water, antifungal and antibiotic therapy, can all cause a great imbalance of various types of micro-organisms in the crop and intestine tract, leaving birds susceptible to digestive problems.
initial microbial imbalance, but from the secondary invasion of a disease causing micro-organism through the intestinal barrier. Once a pathogenic organism penetrates the intestinal barrier, an antifungal or antibiotic is most likely a necessity to improve the animals condition.

Numerous factors influence the interactions among intestinal micro-organisms and their hosts. The cumulative effect of these interactions control the composition and metabolic activity of this gut microflora. An optimal "balance" in microbial population has been associated with good health. There is evidence indicating that certain micro-organisms, particularly the lactobacilli, can help maintain such favorable microbial profile in the gut either through being part of the natural microflora or as a dietary supplement. As a part of the natural flora, they can exert healthful effects through antibiotic and organic acid production, lowering of pH and oxidation potential, competitive antagonism, and bile deconjugation. As a dietary supplement, they have a positive impact on growth, are functional in preventive and curative treatments as well as being sources of certain enzymes essential for metabolism of some nutrients.

Thanks again Laura. This article reminded me of the frequently discussed topic of feeding parrots cheese and yogurt. I'm posting this one article discussing the fact that not all 'cows milk' cheese contain lactose.

"What happens if a bird ingests milk or products containing lactose, the milk sugar? Since it doesn't have the enzymes necessary to digest lactose, it will often pass through the bird's digestive tract unchanged. Because it is a foreign sugar, it may draw fluids into the intestinal tract, resulting in diarrhea, if ingested in large amounts. Small amounts of milk and products containing lactose are probably not harmful to most birds.
Some milk products do not contain lactose, such as cottage cheese and other types of cheese. Generally, it is thought that it is safe to offer yogurt and cheese, although products that contain lactose are probably safe, if offered in small amounts. Interestingly, live culture yogurt does contain lactose when it is produced; however the live organisms in the yogurt consume the lactose, eventually removing the lactose entirely from the yogurt before it is consumed!"

Remember also, that not all cheese and yogurt is from the cow. We eat sheep or goat cheese. We consume coconut, sheep, goat, or nut yogurt. Soooo, when discussing cheese or yogurt, it is important for members to clarify 'cow' or 'other' source when posing questions or responding. Bertie and Ellie LOVE all natural coconut passion-fruit yogurt.:D
Dairy Products and Birds

Thank you Ellie , for adding to the discussion!!
How fascinating that lactose is used up by the cultures in yogurt . And that there are so many types if yogurt Makes me feel more secure in offering yogurt. And I only offer a very small amount, about a thumbprint size.
I do nit feed any type of cheese to my birds. Or any other milk product.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Most excellent nutrition, vitamins required, and disease of nutrition
https://veteriankey.com/avian-nutrition/

Excerpt from above

" Vitamin C

There are only a few wild birds that have a direct need for vitamin C. These include the red-vented bulbul (Pycnonotus cafer) and the willow ptarmigan/red grouse (Lagopus lagopus) as well as the crimson sun-conure, a form of parrot. Birds in general do not need vitamin C in their diets as it can be produced from glucose in the liver. If a bird is suffering from liver disease, therefore, it may require a dietary source of vitamin C."

This site also has excellent disease information, parasites information, and metal poisoning information
https://veteriankey.com/common-avian-diseases/

Mental health in parrots
https://veteriankey.com/mental-health-issues-in-captive-birds/
Excerpt also goes with some other articles, thstvtslk about importance of routines and rituals, Pamela Clark s articles on importance of choice.
" Pet birds are often exposed to unpredictable environments. Feedings, photoperiods, baths, attention, exercise, and social interactions are often provided based on the varying schedules of the caregivers. This unnatural state of affairs does not allow the bird to develop a sense of control, or the skills for coping with stress and challenges. McMillan (2002) has discussed the adverse effects of unpredictability on the mental well-being of animals."

"Photoperiod, Lighting, and Sleep Deprivation
Sleep deprivation can have detrimental effects on the mental health of captive birds. Most psittacine species are diurnal prey species, with an acute sense of vision and hearing. These characteristics present avian caregivers with the challenge of providing for an adequate amount of uninterrupted rest for the birds in their care. Pet birds are often housed in common areas of the home and covered when the caregivers retire for the evening, or at dusk. Given the level of vigilance and reactivity that is characteristic of prey species, it is highly unlikely that the birds receive adequate sleep in these environments. In addition to the stress associated with sleep deprivation, exposure to lengthy photoperiods (increased daylight or artificial light) can increase the incidence of undesirable reproductive behaviors."

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
iron storage disease, citric acid and vitamin C ,
SUSPECTED CAUSES / CONTRIBUTING FACTORS:

May be hereditary in some cases

Some researchers voiced their concern that "fortified bird seeds / pellets" are to blame for the increased occurrence of this disease.

When feeding pellets or fortified diets to your pet, Please be aware that certain dietary components may increase the storage of iron, including Vitamin C, ascorbic acid (citrus fruit) and sugar.

Citric acid facilitates the absorption of iron. Therefore, Jerry Jennings, President / Director of Emerald Forest Bird Gardens strongly recommends "against feeding any citrus fruit at all - not even in moderate amounts
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/ironstoragedisease.html

https://www.sallyblanchard.com/IronStorageDiseaseinCompanionParrots.htm

It seems pellet diets may be contributing to an increase of findings of iron storage disease in parrots
https://meridian.allenpress.com/avi...patic-Hemosiderosis-in-Red-Spectacled-Amazons

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Chlamydia Psittaci link with atherosclerosis

" Atherosclerosis is considered as a well defined ailment specially in aged pet birds. African gray parrots, macaws and Amazon parrots are most susceptible to this condition. Sudden death without prior symptom is the cardinal sign of atherosclerosis. Like human, the risk factors for atherosclerosis include high cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations, sex, age, species, obesity and inactivity, and moreover, C. psittaci infection. Arteriosclerotic plaques are observed between the intima and internal elastic lamina of the blood vessels in many species of birds (Fig. 2.7). The plaques are composed of fibrous tissues and are observed as pale yellowish areas at the thickened portion of intima. In severe cases, the plaques become circumferential lesion which cause narrowing of the lumen and reduced blood flow. "

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)

" Atherosclerosis is considered as a well defined ailment specially in aged pet birds. African gray parrots, macaws and Amazon parrots are most susceptible to this condition. Sudden death without prior symptom is the cardinal sign of atherosclerosis. Like human, the risk factors for atherosclerosis include high cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations, sex, age, species, obesity and inactivity, and moreover, C. psittaci infection. Arteriosclerotic plaques are observed between the intima and internal elastic lamina of the blood vessels in many species of birds (Fig. 2.7). The plaques are composed of fibrous tissues and are observed as pale yellowish areas at the thickened portion of intima. In severe cases, the plaques become circumferential lesion which cause narrowing of the lumen and reduced blood flow. "

Thank you Laura. Not sure if we posted articles about Avian Chlamydiosis previously as it has been awhile since I've read through earlier posts. However, here are a couple of Aussie articles detailing avian spread, symptoms and the spread of Avian Chlamydiosis to humans.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/avian-chlamydiosis.aspx

Chlamydiosis in Parrots | chlamydia in birds | psittacosis

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Thank you Laura. Not sure if we posted articles about Avian Chlamydiosis previously as it has been awhile since I've read through earlier posts. However, here are a couple of Aussie articles detailing avian spread, symptoms and the spread of Avian Chlamydiosis to humans.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/avian-chlamydiosis.aspx

Chlamydiosis in Parrots | chlamydia in birds | psittacosis

Its a good topic to cover, im always reading new stuff. Thanks fir adding. Probably we need to add a few more.

My vet just strongly went over human symptoms, and risks, and fir me to be sure to explain to my doctor if I come down with this. Or have them call her.. As we are strongly feeling I'm having a Chlamydia outbreak in my flock. Even tho i know its zoonotic , she gave me the whole " talk" about symptoms, abd to go to doctor if any symptoms of any kind develops...Ta-dah had a big sneeze right when I was talking to her , and goop went in my mouth and on my lips... ugh gross...really no way to avoid exposure with so many sick birds....hope my hyperactive immune system kicks its butt

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Anemia and metal poisoning

https://avianandexoticvets.com/anemia-in-avian-and-exotic-pets

Blood draw amounts and blood loss.
" Avian veterinarians can determine how much blood can safely be drawn from a healthy bird by using a simple calculation. In passerines and psittacines, we can safely take 1 percent of the body weight in blood if the bird is healthy. In ill birds, we usually take less than that for blood testing. In some cases, with smaller bird patients, we may even prioritize testing, requesting some tests to be run immediately, and then holding off on ordering and running other tests for another time. Usually, we wait a week, or even two, for a second blood draw to do additional testing based on the bird patient’s status.

Avian veterinarians must have an accurate gram scale to weigh birds in order to not only calculate how much blood can be drawn for testing, but also to be able to precisely dose medications.

As an example, a cockatiel weighing 100 grams can safely have 1.0 ml of whole blood drawn, and that is usually adequate for running a CBC and a chemistry panel. " except from below
https://be.chewy.com/bird-blood-blood-loss/

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
People are quick to point out the dangers of tge fuzzy happy huts. But truly any fibers, from rope perches and toys are a dangerous. Rope perches need to be replaced when chewed. I wouldn't provide fringe rope as a preen toy, or toy at all, or any felt toys
https://www.currumbinvetservices.com.au/toy-cage-accoutrements/
" However, many owners provide instead poorly constructed and inappropriate, commercially produced toys and rope perches. I have had many birds presented suffering from fibre impaction as a result of chewing on tasselly, rope toys and woven rope perches that have been sold as “bird friendly”. Birds suffering from fibre impaction show signs of persistent vomiting and chronic weight loss. Some birds are close to death when presented and the fibre blockages of the bowel and stomach are discovered on post mortem examination. Sometimes fibres can be removed from the crop without surgical intervention. However, the veterinary costs and suffering to the bird can be averted by avoiding toys and perches that have the potential for causing fatal fibre impactions.""

https://parrotfunhouse.com/blogs/pa...he-dangers-of-cotton-and-fabric-toys-to-birds
" Risk of chemical poisoning
Many mass manufacturers of bird toys use unsafe and unregulated dyes, bleaches in the production of cotton toys to lower costs. Also, cotton is a very pesticide-intensive crop and many unsafe chemicals are used in growing cotton. Studies have shown that cotton production is very harmful for workers and wildlife."

http://theworldofafricangreys.weebly.com/dangers-of-toys.html
" Poly Vinyl Chloride: there is a potential risk from PVC used to make soft plastic and vinyl toys (including many products marketed for children such as teethers"
"
Bird owners have discovered how much their pet birds enjoy children and baby toys. Many of us spend hours combing childrens' toy stores looking for those special items which we feel our pet birds will like. And since these toys are safe for toddlers we often assume they are safe for our birds.There is now a growing awareness that toys made from SOFT PVC (polyvinyl chloride) or vinyl contain toxic chemicals as well as lead and cadmium.

Chemicals from soft PVC (vinyl), if chewed upon, can leach into the mouth and when ingested can cause a variety of tumors, organ damage and abnormalities in children and animals.

In addition, a laboratory analysis of a number of common vinyl products demonstrated that they release toxic metal dust to their surfaces. This dust, contaminated with lead and cadmium can enter the body via licking, chewing, inhalation, and hand-to-mouth transfer. Lead isa well known toxin. Cadmium is a known carcinogen and kidney toxin."

Last edited:

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Wow...dangerous toys with potentially lethal outcomes. I replace my rope perches when I see damage which is mostly due to my vigorous and frequent cleaning of them. My guys just use the rope as a climbing tool or beak wipe material. That said, I'm moving to wooden perches and all wooden toys after this! I've been stocking my 'homemade' toy material box and have a large collection of untreated leather and unpainted pine and balsa to get started.

Most Reactions

Latest posts