Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Iā€™m just really fascinated that this parrot fever out break happened just after our last big pandemic. And that because of this the National Institute Of Health was formed!

That one of the investigators doctors became sick, and because they didnā€™t have antibiotics had to be treated with an early human antibody serum from a donor....

ā€œ Just 10 years after the end to the horrific Spanish flu pandemic, which claimed more than 600,000 American lives (and tens of millions worldwide), a new and mysterious pneumonia began to spread in the northeast.

It began when Simon Martin, a worker at the Chamber of Commerce in Annapolis, Maryland bought a parrot for his wife Lillian 10 days before Christmas.

Hoping to keep it a surprise, he enlisted his daughter (Edith) and son-in-law (Lee) to keep the bird until Christmas day, but by Christmas Eve, the bird began to show signs of illness.

By morning, in a scene reminiscent of a Monty Python sketch, they had a late parrot on their hands.

Unfortunately, by New Years, Lillian, Edith & Lee were all seriously ill. A local doctor, who had read about a parrot fever outbreak in South America, put the pieces together about a week later.

In no time, newspapers had the story, and the country ā€“ still reeling from the Stock Market crash of October ā€“ and with memories of the 1918 Spanish Flu still relatively fresh ā€“ suddenly began to fear a new pandemic was on the way.

ā€œ After a week of screaming headlines, the newspapers did an about-face and began to ridicule the story ā€“ even going so as to begin printing parrot jokes. Overnight the Polly Pandemic became a national joke.

But the investigative work continued.

Within a week, the story would take horrific turn, as a number of the investigators began to fall seriously ill.

Several of them died.

On February 8th, lead investigator Charles Armstrong was admitted to the hospital with a 104 degree fever. George McCoy, director of the US Public Health Servicesā€™ very small and underfunded Hygienic lab, took over and in a daring move created a serum (this was before antibiotics were available) from the blood of a recovered patient, which he gave to Armstrong.

Armstrong would recover, and eventually wrote that there had been 169 cases of parrot fever nationwide, along with 33 deaths (including Dr. Daniel S. Hatfield and Dr. William Stokes of the Baltimore Health Department, and Henry (Shorty) Anderson of the Hygienic Lab) ā€œ

https://afludiary.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-parrot-fever-changed-public-health.html

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
1929-1930 parrot fever pandemic was linked to a large shipment of sick wild caught amazon parrots from Brazil.
The number of cases reached about 800 infected people with a mortality rate of 15%
This was before antibiotics, and the deaths were caused by bacterial pneumonia from Chlamydia psittaci.

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I read an abstract on quaker parrots , and found out tgey build their elaborate nests to be an incubator and choose plants with antibacterial properties!

" Here, we use the invasion of monk parakeets in Santa Catarina state, southern Brazil to study whether behavioral strategies such as nest thermoregulation and the ability to self-medicate against pathogens contribute to the establishment success of invading species. We relate data on monk parakeet reproductive success to ambient temperatures in- and outside nesting chambers and test the bactericidal potential of plants transported to the nest by breeding monk parakeets. Compared to breeding data from other invaded ranges and parts of the speciesā€™ native range, our results suggest both thermoregulation and the use of bactericidal plants could potentially influence monk parakeet reproductive success. Thermoregulation maintains stable temperatures of incubator chambers compared to large fluctuations (especially hotter extremes) outside the nest. At least one of the plants brought to the nest effectively inhibited growth of pathogenic bacteria."

I fund it very interesting that parrots can self medicate with plants, and use them for bactericidal properties to keep the nest healthy. Im sure they do, as tgey use these huge communal nest year round with large number of parrots living in the same structure. If they hadn't evolved to this the nests would quickly become a sewage of pathogens. Other species of birds use a new nest each year , or leave tge nest vacant when not raising young , so the bscteria and pests die off.

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Also in the abstract, the use of quaker parrot nests by other species of birds. 9 species were observed
Useing the ecosystem engenders ( quakers) nest , how cool ! I had read another article were qusner larrots were credited in increase biodiversity, by providing flock protection to doecues feeding with them..University of Florida also said tgey have no evidence of them harming crops, or displacing native birds, they felt quaners are filling a niche ( lost Carolina parakeets) abd increases in biodiversity in ecosystem they are present in.. noise being tge only complaint.
" Further, the nests that monk parakeets construct have been described to represent complex structures with thermoregulatory buffer capacity, which is important in hot and cold climates, increasing parakeetsā€™ invasive potential [64]. Both in their native and introduced distributions, parakeetsā€™ nests have been observed to be colonized by other bird species [29,30,31,32,33]. We were able to confirm parakeetsā€™ nest use by nine resident species in 22 occasions in Santiago. From these, only the rock dove (9.1%) and house sparrow (27.3%) were introduced, while the rest were all native. Thus, the American kestrel (27.3%), Austral blackbird (9.1%), house wren (9.1%), aplomado falcon (4.5%), Austral pigmy-owl (4.5%), Austral thrush (4.5%), and eared dove (4.5%) are native species making use of an invasive speciesā€™ resource during their reproductive cycle. Monk parakeetsā€™ nest occupation by the American kestrel has been described in Argentina [31]. The American kestrel, aplomado falcon, and Austral pigmy owl are birds of prey, which may have been attracted to the parakeetā€™s chambers in search of food. Nonetheless, we were unable confirm this, as we observed these raptors breeding in the nests, but not the interaction of the first occupation itself. Additionally, we observed a rock dove using a parakeet nest in July, during Austral winter, not for reproductive purposes, but likely for climate protection. We also observed a monk parakeet nest with four parakeet eggs, but a different spotted egg which may have been from the introduced shiny cowbird, which is known to perform brood parasitism [65].

Our observations of several species using parakeetsā€™ chambers for reproduction are important, as the monk parakeet may be shaping resident bird distribution and richness, while creating a reproductive niche, through nest construction within the city. In Santiago, there is no other bird species that constructs such complex nest structures, and the monk parakeet is widely distributed in urban areas. Given reported observations of monk parakeetsā€™ nest use by other bird species, plus our confirmation of this occurring with several species in Chile, we propose that the monk parakeet should be considered as an allogenic ecosystem engineer due its capacity to construct and confer a reproductive resource to other species [66,67]. This is relevant, as recognizing ecosystem engineers. .."

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
As we conure owners know, our conures really like sleeping inside something. I had postulated that tgey use cavities year round for roosting and not just for breeding abd raising young. As i had observed native birds that are cavity nesters making use of cavities during non breeding. This is well excepted of bluebirds who come together abd roist together in nestbixes abd cavities in cold weather, and rainy weather. Tgey even sell special roosting boxs fir tgrm to use in winter.

Anyway thus study/observations done on sun conure found tgey do use cavities year round.

The Parakeet Rangers of Guyana
February 6, 2020 by LoraKim Joyner, DVM, MPVM, M.Div
sun conuresAt the end of 2019, One Earth Conservation finished seven days of surveying the endangered sun parakeet (Aratinga solstitialis), also referred to as the sun conure, in the Karasabai Village. I had joined up with the parakeet rangers of this region to determine how many sun parakeets there actually were. A full survey had never been undertaken before, and for good reason. To cover the entire area means a lot of hiking, hammock camping, and getting around by boats, All Terrain Vehicles, bikes, motorcycles, and trucks.

This amazing group of rangers was up for it. We were spread thin over a large area, but we learned a lot more about this species than we knew before: where they roost (in communal or family cavities), where they nest, and where they forage. We were grateful to realize that there were more of them than the 200 we had thought previously existed. And there were juveniles accompanying the adults, meaning that the work of these rangers and this village is bearing fruit, or rather, parrots. Their efforts over the last years to stop poaching were having a positive impact, though the project has just really begun.

sun parakeet project

A Song Of Peace
To celebrate the weekā€™s hard work, we had a gathering where the rangers wrote a song about their work, and performed it.

We are the peaceful Rangers

From the Pakaraimas

Protecting our parrots

Flying all around

Educating our people

About conservation

Not to trap any parrots

We have that right

Stop burning up the mountains

Stop burning up the trees

Stop polluting the rivers

That belong to you

Stop trapping all the parrots

Stop trapping parakeets

Stop trapping all the macaws

That belong to you

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
O have sweeter heater linked in here someplace

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I read an article on hand rearing parrots as a study at a university. They admitted mistakes were made the first year tgey did thus and at first the babies were underfed and most died of bacterial sepsis.
The second year they did better. And coukd do the actuall study of nutrition demand at growth and age milestones. As would make sense more food was required when festgers started to grow, and again just prior to fledgling.
Whst was also good to hear is tgey mentioned adult psrrots also require an increase in food by 25%- 50% when molting feathers! Wow i didn't know it was that much!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I read an article on hand rearing parrots as a study at a university. They admitted mistakes were made the first year tgey did thus and at first the babies were underfed and most died of bacterial sepsis.

What a sad case of unpreparedness. :(

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Scott that is so true! Its also a university so there is built in culture of we are smart . They thought they could skip over night feedings if they fed more at each feedings during tge day. Uh nope.

Plus ( I'm kinda guessing here) the lack of those warm feedings, warming the chick internally, during the night. Led to drop in internal body temperature. This drop in body temperature let's bacteria and yeast overwhelm the chicks body. As well as uneven glucose availability. ...and low glucose quickly leeds to lower body temperature.....most of my hand raising experience has been mammals but thus was very true for them...... its more difficult to monitor a birds internal temp........lol lots more difficult. The best way is an esophageal temp probe ...so that's not happening

Sadly these were quaker chick's seized from the illegal nest raiders. The universities take them on for learning experience and research projects..........i font dare look to see what happens with the adults, as I'm not aware of any university doing big quaker adoption every tear....:(

Quakers are unusually vulnerable to nest robbing as they all breed in one huge nest superstructure.......

Florida has huge problem with smuggled parrots entering tge County.......and a quaker breeding time kills my soul, Craigslist will have hundreds snd thousands of them picked up on top if each other in barrels and boxs.
They will rob the nests when the chicks are still young enough to band .. but huge numbers will die
They can't hand feed that many do tgey sell tgem off as quick snd cheap as can as tiny unwesbed and unfethered chicks...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
That is grotesque, Laura. As if Quaker chicks are harvested like produce from trees or vines. Absolutely disgusting, no regard for sentient life..... :mad:

LuLu.F

Sep 20, 2020
Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
Parrots
None at the moment - I am in the process of trying to decide which breed will be best for me and vice versus
Re: Ornithology

Cold and drafty? Want a safe way to offer warmth?

I use the Sweeter Heater. A radiant heat panal. It used to sold by Avitech for parrots, but must not have been a big enough market lol. Because now they sell it for chickens!! I have used for 18 years.

The smallest size is still probably to big. I hang it on a low corner on the back of the cage, with a perch on the indide in front of heater. . If your cage is very small be careful as this does put out a lot of heat and they need to be able to move away from it. Probably don't want to to cover the top of the cage either. Young can find thermostats that have a temp probe, that turn it on and off at set temps, I used to have one anyway....
http://go.skimresources.com/?id=162...tz=240&xuuid=04ad97ccd31c575a1530d68364c5f3d7
Hi Laurasea
I am interested and curious about the infrared heated pads you mentioned in your comment about heating cold and draughty rooms.

After a little investigation, I came across the item (below) and wondered if itā€™s similar to what you used to use?

I am shocked that it is double the price in the U.K. - Iā€™m fact, itā€™s almost 50% cheaper to buy one on Amazon.com inclā€™ the import fees! The only down side is that a UK/US plug adapter would be necessary.

Anyway, I just was interested about your comments/what you think of this product (if you have any (and if you have the time)).

LuLu.F
Still without a parrot!

K&H PET PRODUCTS Snuggle -Up Bird Warmer
https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Products...CND0XM&psc=1&refRID=NTVPZ6CM76F2CSCND0XM&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Produc...e+-Up+Bird+Warmer&qid=1602057297&sr=8-1-fkmr0

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi LuLu,

I don't have any experience with the product you showed. Tho I have read product reviews that the parrot had to be right next to it for small amount of warmth. Which could be perfect t for what's needed or not.

You should start a new thread and ask if anyone uses it has had experience with that product. As its sold in the states too.

The sweeter heater goes outside the cage , or attached to a movable mount to it can be 20 inches away . It puts out a lot of radiant heat. My new bird Orbit was having chills his first day home, so I put mine on his cage , and he learned quickly to go sit by it. But it would overwhelm a small cage if not placed 6 to 10 inches back..

So the one you found could be perfect. But I have no experience with it...

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I do not like soy. I grew up next to soybeans fields. I tell you I never saw one creature in the fields , no birds, no rabbits, no deer, no bugs. Its basically a weed, its beyond easy to grow, its cheap, cheap to produce. Soy also has phyto estrogen, which acts on the body like estrogen . I know someplace else in thus thread I've talked about it.

As I'm fascinated by ekkie diets, I came across this on an ekkie site.

" Soy is quite a controversial and sometimes touchy subject when it comes to Parrot care givers. In the past soy has been claimed to cause feather picking and allergies. Some Eclectus parrots are food sensitive while others can eat anything offered with no bad reactions. If you're responsible with the amount of soy offered to your Eclectus, then there is very little chance you will encounter these sort of health problems.

Today however there is a great deal of new studies and evidence found that suggest the soy toxins can cause acute and chronic effects in both animals and humans. This is known as 'anti-nutrients'. They are also classed with environmental toxins which are present in every food product that contains soy.

Studies in New Zealand have seen soy and soy products to cause premature maturation, beak and bone deformities, immune system disorder.

So it is simply no longer classed as something as simple as an allergy to a bird, it is much more than this.

Soy is not a necessity to your parrots diet, there are many other fresh, raw foods that you can use in place of soy. Soy is, in my opinion, a food your bird can go without."

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
PTSD in parrots
" Psychiatrist and pioneer traumatologist Judith Herman created the category of Complex PTSD to bring attention to the profound effects that captivity imposes on the prisoner, because a PTSD diagnosis often fails to capture the severe psychological harm that occurs with prolonged, repeated trauma. [6] The US Department of Veteran Affairs describes victims of long term trauma as those who have been "held in a state of captivity, physically or emotionally. In these situations the victim is under the control of the perpetrator and unable to flee." They sustain "a prolonged period (months to years) of total control by another." [7]"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/bear-in-mind/201110/why-the-caged-bird-does-not-sing
My rescue Penny, had been deprived of flight and self choice her whole life before me, 7+ years.
She plucked and mutilated her feet. She was nearly completely unable to make any choice for herself. At 2 years with me, she can now fly( not that well , but gets were she wants) abd finally makes choices for herself. She no longer mutilate her feet, but still plucks. You can read her story here in Rescuing Penny
http://www.parrotforums.com/quakers/76519-rescueing-penny.html

Last edited:

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm starting this thread as place for us all to post sciencey stuff on parrots! Please share your links or articles.

This first link is to a study on parrot intelligence.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180703131208.htm

What an awesome thread Laura! I have a lot of reading to catch up on:). I will only use my 'thanks' button once I've read the articles so that you can check on your students progress :D.

Thats awesome! Please feel free to add as well!

Most Reactions