Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
All about eggs. As myself and others have girls intent on making them.
" A henā€™s ovary develops to its functional state based on the life span of her particular species. Many of the larger psittacines have development at about 4 to 7 years of age, while in smaller parrot species it is at 1 to 3 years of age. All birds have ovarian development during the breeding season; the ovary then shrinks during the non-breeding season"
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/the-female-reproductive-system-along-comes-the-egg/

Ways to deter eggs.
" So how are we to avoid this? Donā€™t cover their cages at night for starters. As I said above, link chewing with food and that means plenty of foraging. Provide exercise and get your bird out of its cage as much as possible. You might try moving the cage about every other week or as soon as they get comfortable in one location, move it. Parrots were meant to fly and so get them to fly or at least do flapping daily or even multiple times in a day. Work up to it, particularly if you have a couch potato."
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/4-easy-ways-to-deter-breeding-behavior/

https://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/pages/hormonal-behavior-in-pet-birds-pt-1

I disagree with not covering the cage at night--- I think that is fine as long as the room is also dark. The issue would be if you don't use a proper black-out cover and the light is still shining in from outside. That could create a giant nest. I cover with a blackout cover and the room is dark too. Noodles feels safer at night if the cage is covered....but it must be a proper cover....If it's light in the room and you cover with a sheet or something, yes, that will cause problems. Blackout curtains are a good idea in a bird room because, in order to get 10-12 hours, most have to go to bed when it is still light outside.

I will say, when Noodles is super hormonal, she wants to go to bed sooner and so I tend to hold off (as I know her intention is to get in that dark space and make toothpicks out of toys on the cage bottom until she actually climbs up and goes up to sleep about an hour later LOL/UGH!).

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
" A henā€™s ovary develops to its functional state based on the life span of her particular species. Many of the larger psittacines have development at about 4 to 7 years of age, while in smaller parrot species it is at 1 to 3 years of age. All birds have ovarian development during the breeding season; the ovary then shrinks during the non-breeding season"
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/the-female-reproductive-system-along-comes-the-egg/

Ways to deter eggs.
" So how are we to avoid this? Donā€™t cover their cages at night for starters. As I said above, link chewing with food and that means plenty of foraging. Provide exercise and get your bird out of its cage as much as possible. You might try moving the cage about every other week or as soon as they get comfortable in one location, move it. Parrots were meant to fly and so get them to fly or at least do flapping daily or even multiple times in a day. Work up to it, particularly if you have a couch potato."

I disagree with not covering the cage at night--- I think that is fine as long as the room is also dark. The issue would be if you don't use a proper black-out cover and the light is still shining in from outside. That could create a giant nest. I cover with a blackout cover and the room is dark too. Noodles feels safer at night if the cage is covered....but it must be a proper cover....If it's light in the room and you cover with a sheet or something, yes, that will cause problems.

I disagree with leaving eggs, if they aren't sitting in them. I have only had to deal with eggs twice decade apart. I removed the eggs both times. Both girls snapped out of it and quit laying. Also tho as important note, they were not trying to sit on them.

There is probably still lots to learn on parrot egg laying, and breeding behavior.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

Ways to deter eggs.

I disagree with not covering the cage at night--- I think that is fine as long as the room is also dark. The issue would be if you don't use a proper black-out cover and the light is still shining in from outside. That could create a giant nest. I cover with a blackout cover and the room is dark too. Noodles feels safer at night if the cage is covered....but it must be a proper cover....If it's light in the room and you cover with a sheet or something, yes, that will cause problems.

I disagree with leaving eggs, if they aren't sitting in them. I have only had to deal with eggs twice decade apart. I removed the eggs both times. Both girls snapped out of it and quit laying. Also tho as important note, they were not trying to sit on them.

There is probably still lots to learn on parrot egg laying, and breeding behavior.

Understandable-- I was of the same school of thought until Noodles laid them a month apart and each time I removed them when she wasn't sitting. Since leaving one, she has not laid. We went over 6 years with no eggs (despite sexual maturity). When her first happened, she showed no interest so I took it out like 2 days later. I did the same when it happened again and then started to worry, as her extreme hormonal behavior revved up shortly thereafter. Since leaving the one, I have had far fewer issues and the biggest break in laying since this all began earlier this year.

For some birds, pulling them works IF they aren't sitting, but I don't see the harm in leaving them in if there is still some interest *assuming they are dummies and not real*. I know that round toys can lead to hormones etc, but I know that Noodles looks at her dang "egg" every morning ( she never looked at other stuff in the same way).

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its a struggle!! I do not want to join the chronic egg laying cycle!!@

To much stresss!!
I think my problem this year was feeding high calorie foods and fatty foods. As I had the sick flock and was trying to fatten them. Just so happened was spring!! Ugh! I got lucky Tadah decided not lay. Next spring no fatty foods

I will also keep careful eye on weight. And shift cages around.

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This one talks about how most bird will lay an egg or 2 and have no interest in sitting.

Talks about photo period being g a huge role, . And how moving the cafe rearrange csn help throw them out of it. But do not do this if yiu can feel an egg waiting to be laid. As yiu want them to pass thst egg!
https://www.animalhouseofchicago.com/news/birds-unwanted-eggs

D

Deleted member 42416

Information on diet, from a person who has observed wild parrots. His recommendations are 60% or a little less pellets, and a huge variety of vegetables, fruits , plus nuts and seeds. Ect. But has trouble generalizing as diets change seasonal and if breeding or not. He talks about increasing fats fir breeding burds. I think thsts what's gotten me in trouble with Ta-dah, as I was feeding her high fat foods right before this start if breeding season, and sure hope i haven't thrown her into laying eggs. I will make sure next breeding season to reduce fats in my burds diets.
How should we feed our parrots?

https://www.canadianveterinarians.net/documents/metabolic-bone-disease-or-rickets-in-birds

Lots if great articles at this site. I'm linking the feather plucking one. As quakers are in the high risk for plucking group. Quakers are very prone to plucking abd screaming. Tgey are very social abd intelligent active species. With a person who works away from home, on average they dont do well abd screaming and pluck and mutilate themselves. Penny is plucker, and Orbit was well on his way, and I'm still working to prevent him from becoming a plucker, he was a full on screamer too, still very vocal, but the sunrise to sunset screaming has been stopped. ( no secret tricks, it a busy active life, great food, lots if attention, out tge cage 8 hrs a day, foraging, ect, some redirection, postive reinforcement)

Caution below article talks of taking a clipped or harness small portions like a quaker outside to let them forage on the ground. THIS IS NOT SAFE!!@ a hawk will take your bird if you do this!! Hawks have eben grabbed small burd off shoulders.
http://www.parrotsdailynews.com/q-a-what-is-the-cause-of-parrot-plucking-part-i/
Hi, this article I have attached by Dr. Jenkins is so informative. Chloe Sanctuary did an interview with him and his treatment regime has solved the plucking behavior in our rescue cockatoo, Rico. Their videos are on you tube.

Old world parrots respond so well to haldol alone. It DOES NOT make them into zombies..Rico is just as playful and loving as ever. He is now fully feathered! New world parrots (i.e. from South America) are more difficult to treat and may require haldol with a benzodiazepine. Of course, we also need an enriched environment, sunlight, proper diet, etc.

Feather plucking and mutilation disorders can be so frustrating, heart breaking for the owners and parrots. For those whose avian vets are not familiar with this regimen, I highly encourage owners to show them this article. Our own avian vet wanted to give amitriptyline only (which vet text books clearly say ā€œdoes not workā€). We were able to acquire it from a different vet farther away. Our vet is now so impressed she asked for the article and dosing regimen.

Both my husband and I have ā€œpeopleā€medical backgrounds so we were easily able to sift through the scholarly texts and articles on this subject.

I hope others find this as helpful as we did. God Bless.

Attachments

• Feather_picking_and_self-mutilation_in_p-1.pdf
    436.1 KB · Views: 86

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hi, this article I have attached by Dr. Jenkins is so informative. Chloe Sanctuary did an interview with him and his treatment regime has solved the plucking behavior in our rescue cockatoo, Rico. Their videos are on you tube.

Old world parrots respond so well to haldol alone. It DOES NOT make them into zombies..Rico is just as playful and loving as ever. He is now fully feathered! New world parrots (i.e. from South America) are more difficult to treat and may require haldol with a benzodiazepine. Of course, we also need an enriched environment, sunlight, proper diet, etc.

Feather plucking and mutilation disorders can be so frustrating, heart breaking for the owners and parrots. For those whose avian vets are not familiar with this regimen, I highly encourage owners to show them this article. Our own avian vet wanted to give amitriptyline only (which vet text books clearly say ā€œdoes not workā€). We were able to acquire it from a different vet farther away. Our vet is now so impressed she asked for the article and dosing regimen.

Both my husband and I have ā€œpeopleā€medical backgrounds so we were easily able to sift through the scholarly texts and articles on this subject.

I hope others find this as helpful as we did. God Bless.
My female B&G macaw endured surgery to remove tumor from vent area. Aftercare complex as she was semi-tame; vet prescribed short-term Haldol enabling handling. Worked marvelously, was able to handle and cuddle though continued use to alter persona did not comport with our ethics.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I just learned this! Ha so i'm sharing . cloacal drinking
"Cloacal drinking is the reflexive intake of fluids through the cloaca in order to inoculate the young birdā€™s immune system with the microbial fl ora of the surrounding environment." Credit the poultry site

D

Deleted member 42416

This was too good not to add to the collection
Just to addā€¦.the human retina has 3 cones to perceive color. Birds have 4!! This is what allows them to see ultraviolet. What they can see under natural sunlight must be spectacular!! I am curious to see what cockatoos look like as wellā€¦Iā€™ll bet they are not just plain white.

This brings me to my next point: windows filter out UV light. Indoors must look dull to them (they see like us). Thus, having outside time is not only important for vitamin D production, but also for their mental health. When you take your bird out for outside time, notice how they pause and look at the same things they would see from their windowā€¦now much more vibrant!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Just to addā€¦.the human retina has 3 cones to perceive color. Birds have 4!! This is what allows them to see ultraviolet. What they can see under natural sunlight must be spectacular!! I am curious to see what cockatoos look like as wellā€¦Iā€™ll bet they are not just plain white.

This brings me to my next point: windows filter out UV light. Indoors must look dull to them (they see like us). Thus, having outside time is not only important for vitamin D production, but also for their mental health. When you take your bird out for outside time, notice how they pause and look at the same things they would see from their windowā€¦now much more vibrant!
Oh yes, most definitely taking them outside allows them to use their vision more fully! Very enriching!

They do have amazing vision, I wish we could see more

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I wish this extra perception did not come at the cost of poor night vision (for most birds).
My Cockatiels have the worst, Bingo does the best in low ligh.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Budgies are the worst in my house with not being able to see in the dark with my green cheek being the best .

I'm sure its because they roost and hunker down at night to avoid predators..panic flying at night would separate them from the flock...that's my take anyway.....?

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
Budgies are the worst in my house with not being able to see in the dark
With your thoughts, it appears that Budgies are not eating continuously all though the night then, but need their sleep. BTW, did you know that some predator hawks use that ultraviolet capacity to trace mice urine? I read that mice leave behind urine back to the "safe" spot, a hole, if they feel threat and follow their urine scent as a guidepost back to the "hole". Hawks see that seemingly colorless urine as a color and helps them track mice.
There is a Youtube video I saw recently that talks about budgies looking differently in UV light. I can search and post it if you like?

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
With your thoughts, it appears that Budgies are not eating continuously all though the night then, but need their sleep. BTW, did you know that some predator hawks use that ultraviolet capacity to trace mice urine? I read that mice leave behind urine back to the "safe" spot, a hole, if they feel threat and follow their urine scent as a guidepost back to the "hole". Hawks see that seemingly colorless urine as a color and helps them track mice.
There is a Youtube video I saw recently that talks about budgies looking differently in UV light. I can search and post it if you like?
I have never said in your thread that budgies eat in the dark, twice in your thread I've said they don't. I'm against pulling food, because I doubt you are putting it back at first light , or pulling it in the dark. In general I do not think it is a good practice for my reasons previously stated. When I wake up my budgies are already eating..as are the wild birds outside while it's twilight, sun not over the horizon.

Yes I read that as well about urine. Absolutely, please share the you tube, or any articles you want. I'm fascinated by our birds friends!

Its hard to find good science stuff. I'd really like to find more studies of parrots in the wild.

Most Reactions

Latest posts