Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
stashing this

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Not a parrot , but fascinating

More on these cool little birds

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Well blow my mind
Did you see the one just below eclectus that also shares quite a bit?

Racquet tail parrot

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Monk Parakeets are pretty unique genetically, early split
Despite long tail more genetically close to short tail species like Amazon. But split from common genetic ancestors long long ago
Split from common ancestor of Closest relatives bee bee parrot and others in Brotogeris when South America split from antarctic

Such a unique species! Myiopsitta monachus or quaker

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Because I had to search so hard for that article.
Here are examples of that in Pikachu
Red hue, sick
View attachment 38085
Normal
View attachment 38086
Its much more subtle in brown eyed birds like Ta-dah. This is her sick, notice tge darkness of her eye, plus the skin around her eye has darkened slightly or you might see a tint of pinkess all the way to red skin in some.
View attachment 38091
Here normal. No its not just the light. I'm not sure if I kept more examples. And the pictures were shared and discussed / confirmed with my avian vet at the time
View attachment 38094
once you have seen in person, you can tell better, the pupils become less distinct
I’ve seen this. I had a greencheek whom I think might have had allergies.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I’ve seen this. I had a greencheek whom I think might have had allergies.
I really hate actually that they say allergies.....its much more likely to be linked with chlamydiaosis and systemic illnesses.
In my work with parrots and birds we never had a case of allergies. I'm sure any animal can....but my opinion so very very rare in parrots

Caution for sensitive readers possible graphic pictures

This link talks about a few rare cases . Macaws to dust of cockatoo( should edit that I have heard of that before)

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I should have said chemical sensitivity not allergies.

My best friends nephew was staying with him. He really wanted a parrot and he met Oscar. Oscar came out of his shell for him which he wasn’t for me. So I let Oscar go with my friend’s nephew (a lonely young adult who really wanted a bird). And they got on great except when Oscar came to stay with me while the young man visited his dad out of state, I noticed Oscar’s white eye ring was barely pink.

My place has almost no fragrance as I get terrible migraines and I live with birds. So everything is scent free. My friend’s place was not. His mom used all sorts of fussy scented crap. But when Oscar was back with me, the eye ring brightened up quickly. So I conclude that something at my friend’s house was bothering Oscar. And Oscar then came back with me and the nephew moved out into his own place and got a job.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
wanted to save this as my avian veterinarian doesn't feel this should be a first choice antibiotic in parrots, and I agree
Excerpt from above linked article:
" Cautions:

1. Treating birds with Baytril for more than 4 days almost invariably causes a yeast infection. There are always a low numbers of yeasts in the bowel, but their numbers are kept in check by ‘good’ bacteria. Antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria and with nothing to keep them in check, yeasts will quickly multiply leading to the development of green and watery droppings.
  2. Baytril can interfere with cartilage deposition on the surface of young growing joints leading to permanent deformity. This side effect is dose dependent so young nestlings should only be treated with extreme caution and obviously only when necessary. When treated, they must be dosed accurately. "

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
wanted to save this as my avian veterinarian doesn't feel this should be a first choice antibiotic in parrots, and I agree
Thank you!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Azithromycin is fast acting in parrots and cover both gram positive and gram negative bacterial infections. Only has to be given every other day, only takes 5 doses as stays in system long time. Parrots often recover dramatically in 24 hours after given this antibiotic. Your veterinarian can call into human pharmacy.
Except from above linked :
" Azithromycin – Broad spectrum against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. Also effective against spirochetes and some anaerobes. Effective against Chlamydia psittaci in cockatiels at 40 mg/kg PO q48hr x 21 days. "

I will ad my personal experience with this antibiotic saved my critically ill quaker parrots life! And my critically ill down budgie life! But despite some studies saying it would Clear chlamydiaosis, it did not for us and we had to switch to doxycline.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I tried to find photos with the same feather position and photo brightness for equal comparison - here are examples of Cotton's subtle eye changes with presumed Chlamydiosis:

Visit at the parrot rescue 2 Mar - lighting isn't bright but you can see his iris, area around eye looks ok but there is feather staining above his nares - he was just finishing getting his ring so at first it looked like part of his dark eye bar

Screenshot_20220512-131421.png

The day I brought him home, 26 March - even more noticeable staining above nares

PXL_20220326_185153361~3.jpg

2 April reddened eyes and swelling around them and sinuses

PXL_20220405_210521016~2.jpg

8 April after a few days of doxycycline - harder to compare swelling around nares/sinuses with fluffy feathers in this one, but inflammation in eyes and lack of distinct iris is still noticeable

PXL_20220408_121942521~2.jpg

11 May, week 5 of doxycycline - at night with lamp shine directly on him so not the best picture color-wise but iris is distinct

PXL_20220512_000622222~2.jpg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I tried to find photos with the same feather position and photo brightness for equal comparison - here are examples of Cotton's subtle eye changes with presumed Chlamydiosis:

Visit at the parrot rescue 2 Mar - lighting isn't bright but you can see his iris, area around eye looks ok but there is feather staining above his nares - he was just finishing getting his ring so at first it looked like part of his dark eye bar

View attachment 39803

The day I brought him home, 26 March - even more noticeable staining above nares

View attachment 39802

2 April reddened eyes and swelling around them and sinuses

View attachment 39804

8 April after a few days of doxycycline - harder to compare swelling around nares/sinuses with fluffy feathers in this one, but inflammation in eyes and lack of distinct iris is still noticeable

View attachment 39805

11 May, week 5 of doxycycline - at night with lamp shine directly on him so not the best picture color-wise but iris is distinct

View attachment 39806
His beak is much lighter in color now.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I agree, even with differences in lighting - I'm hoping that means he's getting more Vitamin A in the foods he's eating!
I point that out because someone else showed a photo of their irn who had a black and horn colored beak and I was concerned.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I point that out because someone else showed a photo of their irn who had a black and horn colored beak and I was concerned.
I *think* they start out black and then after maturity in males lighten up to plum while females stay a bit darker. I'll have to try to find my saved photos.

Most Reactions