Our Birds & the Sun?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
My Conure is 4 1/2 years old and I like to try and get him some sun (outside) when I can. I realize that you are supposed to supply shade for them but isn’t that defeating the purpose somewhat?

The last year or so I’ve noticed that he will do anything to get OUT of the sun. Temps are anywhere from 70*-80* and while shaded he’s fine but I have put his cage in direct sunlight for about 15’ and he seems to get overheated quickly. Pants heavily with mouth open. Of course I take him in immediately.
But when I have him on my deck and the sun slowly creeps in, he does whatever he can to get out of it. He might hide under a toy and if he just happens to look around and the sun hits him, he retreats immediately.
So is this unusual behavior? Today, his back was in the sun while his head was somewhat shaded. I kept him that way for about 20’ and then took him back inside. He wasn’t panting but you could see he was uncomfortable.
Anyone else experience this?

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Ultraviolet light (<~ 380nm) can bounce / scatter off leaves and still reach you in a diffusive manner, unlike the visible light. Note that the majority of the energy of sunlight is in the visible spectrum 380nm - 750nm.

Parrots can die quickly from dehydration and overheating when they are exposed to the sun without a shade, in the summer. Opened beak is such a sign. So you should put your parrot under a shade. And remember shades can move over time.

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I haven't ventured outside with my parrot her but I agree - the UV radiation can be higher in dappled shade outdoors than it is in bright sunlight indoors, so it's much easier for them to overheat outside. For example most of the songbirds in my area come out at dawn and dusk to forage and bathe and drink and play, but are hidden during the day in the peak of summer.

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Ultraviolet light (<~ 380nm) can bounce / scatter off leaves and still reach you in a diffusive manner, unlike the visible light. Note that the majority of the energy of sunlight is in the visible spectrum 380nm - 750nm.

Parrots can die quickly from dehydration and overheating when they are exposed to the sun without a shade, in the summer. Opened beak is such a sign. So you should put your parrot under a shade. And remember shades can move over time.
Agree, but from everything I’ve read…and heard, they should get at least 20’ of true sunlight occasionally. And in front of a window is not advisable due to the UV rays being filtered.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I have new windows this year and they definitely block UV light compared to my old 1950 windows - my plants sure notice!

I guess for myself, I'd err on the side of trusting my bird's instincts and let him tell me how much direct sun he wants. Maybe in the spring and fall when the sun is on a lower path he'll want more time and in the summer when it's right over head he'll want less.

Maybe he's also not used to how fast his temperature goes up, if it's warmer outside than in your house. Where I live, it's about 25 degrees hotter outside on sunny days than inside, which is really tough to acclimate to suddenly. I'd have to ask someone else here how big a swing in temp would be safe for indoor parrots - I'm not sure myself.

So maybe for now, if it's not too hot outside, keep taking him out, but make sure he has some full shade, some sun, and some way to bathe that he likes. Then keep watching his body language in case you need to bring him in early again - I think you've done a good job of noticing how he's reacting so far, so now you can use what he's telling you to adjust and prevent him getting to the point of discomfort or overheating. He might surprise you and spend a bit in the shade then go back and forth from sun to shade.

I love that he gets outside time, what a lucky bird! :)

Most Reactions