Parrotlet respiratory issue

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Chronological experience less important than education and lessons learned for continual improvement.

I was including those in the experience.

Circular responses are not clarifying. Quit while you're behind!

Outsmarting the police charged with enforcing laws/statues of little benefit if you are ejected and severely/mortally wounded. Statistics prove your odds are best properly restrained. In my experience, folks who take craven risks are likely to do so in other areas of life. This appears validated with dismissal of Teflon/PFOA concerns.

The chances of me needing a seatbelt are so small it's not worth the bother. I'd put one on if I was on race track. But at below 100mph speeds on straight roads, why bother?

So impaling your body on steering column at high speeds is survivable?
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7iYZPp2zYY"]Crash test with and without safety belt - YouTube[/ame]

You can verify veterinarian educational and affiliation with veterinary manager or receptionist.

They can produce a certificate? I'd feel I was being a bit rude, but I guess they get asked it all the time. Is there an official qualification?

Most medical practitioners are proud of degrees, certificates, affiliations, and display in office or website. Highly trained avian vets achieve ABVP certification or AAV accreditation. Receptionists ought give generalized information over phone on request.

PaulCollins

Banned
Banned
Mar 30, 2021
Chronological experience less important than education and lessons learned for continual improvement.

Circular what? I assumed the reader would make an assumption.

Crash test with and without safety belt - YouTube
No, but very unlikely to happen. I tend to steer round crashes.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Circular what? I assumed the reader would make an assumption.
I wouldn't assume anything given thread progression.

Crash test with and without safety belt - YouTube
No, but very unlikely to happen. I tend to steer round crashes.

Definition of accident = unplanned, unforeseen. Are you superhuman driver capable of 100% avoiding accidents?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
In terms of seat belts, you may be driving fine, but you never know what other people are doing.We (ex and I) were in a traffic backup for an exit ramp and we had been sitting there for a solid 3 minutes when a huge pickup rear-ended us going 70 mph. we had been stopped but they were likely texting or drunk. The impact sounded like a bomb and we flew into the car that was like 10 feet in front of us, and they almost hit the one in front of them. The tire axle of the truck snapped off with the tire still on it and flew across the highway. The truck went flying into other traffic with sparks flying from the dragging metal and missing wheel. My car's trunk was smashed so far in that it was within inches of the back side of the passenger/driver seats and all the windows blown out from the impact-- all of my tires were slashed/blown up. Air bags did not go off (for whatever reason). If I hadn't had on a seat-belt, I would have been thrown from the car and likely killed. Same with my ex who was driving at the time. We did nothing wrong...no sudden stops, safe following distance at a stand-still (10 feet at least), 5:00pm on a Thursday....Nothing special...Under 100 mph

You cannot ever predict the actions of others, nor can you always anticipate something like a deer jumping out in front of you on the highway.

Statistics show that seat-belts work. Sure, some people have been injured by them, but that is like saying that people should stop getting vaccinated for deadly illnesses because a few people have a bad reaction to injections that save far more lives than they harm. Lets say that 100 people get in car crashes and 2 of them get seat belt injuries...that is still nothing compared to the 50% higher death rate for those involved in crashes who are not wearing them.

If the argument is that seat-belts hurt more people than they help, that is just not true.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Definition of accident = unplanned, unforeseen. Are you superhuman driver capable of 100% avoiding accidents?
I don't need 100%. I do not take steps to avoid something that will probably never happen.

Of course there is a fine line between reasonable caution and "sky is falling" histrionics. You seem ideal candidate for Darwinism based on additive disregard for finer points of life.

PaulCollins

Banned
Banned
Mar 30, 2021
You cannot ever predict the actions of others, nor can you always anticipate something like a deer jumping out in front of you on the highway.
Funny you should mention deer. I hit one at 85mph (yeah yeah the limit was 60) after concluding they'd (10 female deer) all crossed. Little did I know the stag was chasing them and was a fair bit behind. He leapt over the fence 2 feet in front of me so I didn't bother braking. I hit him with the front corner of the car, which flipped him up in the air, which I had time to watch. Unfortunately I had a very sturdy touring canoe on the roof, pointy end forwards. This split him clean in half, one half flying across the road, and the other half removing my wingmirror. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, I didn't feel the impact, and I wasn't thrown off course whatsoever. Here's the result:

pETDt1J.jpg

Statistics show that seat-belts work. Sure, some people have been injured by them, but that is like saying that people should stop getting vaccinated for deadly illnesses because a few people have a bad reaction to injections that save far more lives than they harm. Lets say that 100 people get in car crashes and 2 of them get seat belt injuries...that is still nothing compared to the 50% higher death rate for those involved in crashes who are not wearing them.

If the argument is that seat-belts hurt more people than they help, that is just not true.
What you're forgetting is the number of people that wouldn't have been helped by a seatbelt. If the chances during my life are: 98% chance no bad accident, 1% bad accident which seatbelt would save me, 1% bad accident which nothing would save me, then why bother every single day wearing one just for that 1% chance?

P.S. I have not and will not be getting a coronavirus vaccine. It kills 4 times less people than cancer.

Last edited:

PaulCollins

Banned
Banned
Mar 30, 2021
I don't need 100%. I do not take steps to avoid something that will probably never happen.

Of course there is a fine line between reasonable caution and "sky is falling" histrionics. You seem ideal candidate for Darwinism based on additive disregard for finer points of life.
No, I'm just capable of knowing when to bother taking measures against a risk. Car crashes are far too seldom to bother.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
but seat-belts are fairly comfortable...they are hardly noticeable (unless you are hyper-fixated on them)...the benefits outweigh the risk. If you had never known what it was like not to wear one, you likely would wear one without issue. Statistically, there is no reason not to wear one.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Guys. Don’t feel the troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

No, I'm just capable of knowing when to bother taking measures against a risk.

Game on, so let's belt ourselves in securely, mitigate the risks of thread drift, and focus on member Fai's medical concerns with a parrotlet.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
This thread has, in parts, deviated a very long way from the OP’s original intentions, and I would like very much to thank you, Fai, for your forbearance. May I please respectfully request that future posts be direct back towards Fai’s concerns? Other debates and differing viewpoints will inevitably surface alongside the original topic and they are also welcome, provided they are pertinent to the OP’s queries. May I please request that members bear this in mind when posting here? Thank you :)

OP
F

Fai

Mar 31, 2021
Update: I’m happy to say that the avian reported that she is a healthy bird :) the only thing she said was that she’s a little fat (probably because she’s been eating more seeds then the fruits and vegetables we have been giving her). I was surprised because the average weight of a parrotlet is 35g (online) and she’s 30-32g but it looks like that’s if the parrotlet is not exercising and is on a seed only diet. So we will limit the seeds and probably give her pellets with some seeds sprinkled on top instead of doing 60% pellets and 40%. Hopefully our bird will actually eat the fruits and vegetables we give her instead of opting for seeds.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Her being overweight could explain the breathing, assuming they actually ran tests and didn't just look at her/feel her (as that is terribly unreliable).

OP
F

Fai

Mar 31, 2021
They took her in and we didn’t get to see but they looked at her weight and poop and her breathing. I trust that she would be able to recognize if anything was wrong because she has been a vet since 1983 and she didn’t ask to take any tests like x-rays. I do not feel comfortable with blood work at all but her activity level has been fine and her poop. I also have news that we got a parrotlet awhile ago and we see that the breathing looks the same as the one we had for awhile (they are separate just in case it was sick) It looks like parrotlets breathing just appear to be visible for some reason. (Not visible as like super hard breathing but ever so little do you see them breathing)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Just remember that there is only so much they can do with an exam. I do understand the fear of blood-work but if a CAV is doing it, the risk is quite low (once the bird is full-grown, depending on the situation). If you are sure you have a CAV and not just a vet that sees birds, then I'd say okay, but I will say that when Noodles was having egg issues and liver issues, both well-reviewed CAVs took a more cautious approach than I wanted and it turns out I was right (despite totally healthy weight, appearance etc). They were FLOORED when they saw her levels, because her behavior didn't reflect those...but I insisted after deciding that she was "off". It saved her life.

If things get worse, keep that in mind.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad- I just know that over the years, many very very qualified professionals who didn't live with Noodles were unsuccessful when basing their opinions on an exam alone..In fact, I would say that my experiences (when not rooted in testing) have been 50 50...despite their confidence.....I was likely laughed at by the workers until I was right 75% of the time...I want to re-emphasize that this is a VERY good CAV who also was shocked to see that I was right based on intuition.

Your bird is probably fine, but please keep a VERY HIGH level of skepticism if there are no real tests.

Last edited:
OP
F

Fai

Mar 31, 2021
I’m keeping an eye on everything to her eyes, feathers, tail, poop, activity, and anything else I could observe. The weight gain does correlate with the amount of seeds she has been eating after our other bird passed away. Reviews for the avian looks good, and it looks like she has done surgeries too. I promise if I see anything small that can indicate an illness I will take her in again. I’m a naturally paranoid person with high anxiety so after my other bird passed away because of a respiratory issue I got very paranoid seeing her breath every so slightly when she’s resting. As of now she’s still under a year and because of COVID (not being able to be in the office) I don’t feel comfortable with blood work yet, the fact that small birds have a higher risk as well scares me but I’m hoping she’s healthy and I’m being paranoid as the other parrotlet looks to breath the same way

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Be careful with diet changes, make sure tgey are eating, and keep checking weight.
Glad you got an all clear! We all are paranoid when it comes to our feathers kids!

OP
F

Fai

Mar 31, 2021
Be careful with diet changes, make sure tgey are eating, and keep checking weight.
Glad you got an all clear! We all are paranoid when it comes to our feathers kids!

I’ll keep checking! I’ve been trying to get her to gradually move to pellets but she doesn’t like them so I hope she can get used to it to be mostly on pellets but I won’t rush her into it! I’ll make sure that she loses the weight gradually because she’s eating better and not because she’s sick as well since that’s a sign of illness

Most Reactions

Latest posts