Pellet food.

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
What in your opinion is the pellet food most Conures will eat? Im coming to the end of Connies bag of "Kaytee exact"which I had to grind up and sprinkle on her chop. I hear a few of you talking of" Zupreem" do you get it from Amazon.
We are in lockdown atm,so would have to send for something.
With the Kaytee she throws away the red and beige bits in disgust!:gcc:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I currently purchase my pellets online from a specialty vendor. Amazon is a source for Zupreem, be advised they typically come from an associate partner, not Amazon warehouse. Just perform due-diligence to ensure reliability and trustworthiness.

Don't have conures, but my flock of cockatoos + one each amazon and grey love Harrison's Adult Lifetime Course. Introducing a new pellet can be adventurous to say the least! In my experience Zupreem Fruit Blend is well accepted from first bite, though opinions on nutritional goodness vary.

OP
Cagzo

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
Thankyou Scott, I think if it wasnt so expensive we could try several over a period of time,a small bag of Kaytee was over £12, our local petshop gave me some to trial,but it was more for bigger parrots. She has a seed mix in a separate dish,and loves millet. Its all a bit trial and error.

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Loki - Sun conure; Lucifer, Goffin’s Cockatoo; Tink, Mustached Parakeet; Mr. Grinch, DYH Amazon
Thankyou Scott, I think if it wasnt so expensive we could try several over a period of time,a small bag of Kaytee was over £12, our local petshop gave me some to trial,but it was more for bigger parrots. She has a seed mix in a separate dish,and loves millet. Its all a bit trial and error.

Some companies sell small pouches to try before you buy. TOPs sells a little $5 bag in various sizes, but you could try contacting other companies for a sample before you commit.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
I currently purchase my pellets online from a specialty vendor. Amazon is a source for Zupreem, be advised they typically come from an associate partner, not Amazon warehouse. Just perform due-diligence to ensure reliability and trustworthiness.

Don't have conures, but my flock of cockatoos + one each amazon and grey love Harrison's Adult Lifetime Course. Introducing a new pellet can be adventurous to say the least! In my experience Zupreem Fruit Blend is well accepted from first bite, though opinions on nutritional goodness vary.

Same here I get Harrison's, or Zupreem for my birds through Amazon.

Last edited:

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
For the conures we have they get Zupreem Fruit Blend, Nut Blend and Veggie Blend. They do well with all of them. They also get TOPS pellets as well, just to keep things varied up.

They also get Lafeber Nutriberries in assorted flavors. Avicakes too. They tend to not be picky at all.

My Eclectus do not get colored pellets. They have special dietary issues. They get Harrison’s and Tops, but a lot of fresh fruits veggies brown rice and legumes.

I also recommend for your conures that you supplement with fresh foods as well. It helps them have more natural nutrition plus varying their foods will help keep them from getting bored of the same things. If you need a list of safe fresh foods, I believe others on the forum can share the link to the list. But basically stay away from a lot of citrus or acidic foods like tomatoes. Absolutely no pits, seeds, or stones from fruits like apples, plums etc. absolutely no avocado. Our conures love fresh corn, apples, zucchini and yellow squash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
From five years back my gold-capped and GCC have eaten mostly Zupreem, colored for the majority of that time, and then that mixed with Goldenfeast (dried fruit, nuts, lentils, spices). Over the summer after their first vet check-up it was recommended they trim their weight and start eating fresh greens, and in the course of a month or so we were successfully able to transition them to eating fresh chop consisting of minced broccolo, cauliflower, apples, celery, carrot and quinoa.

We have largely removed the colored Zupreem from their diet, though we're still using up remnants previously purchased, and now they eat the smaller 'natural' (beige) variant sized for cockatiels, alongside Higgins InTune Harmony.

So at present they're given chop in the morning, with a sprinkling of the Zupreem over the wet stuff, and in the afternoon, they get the pellet mix.

I recently bought some 'cold pressed' non-corn, non-soy pellets from Tops, which sound amazing - but my conures won't touch the stuff, alas.:D

Oh, and they're given nutriberries (about one a day, we're going through a container of the veggie kind right now) as treats, too.

OP
Cagzo

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
I didnt realise that Zupreem was the manufacturer and they are so many different kinds.are the plain beige coloured ones more acceptable do you think? She only eats the green Kaytee ones.
She eats a small bowl of fresh food,mainly fruit and carrots,with some dried bits of banana,and oats, Not a broccoli or lettuce lover Im afraid.Are nutri berries used as a treat?
Thankyou for all your info.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I didnt realise that Zupreem was the manufacturer and they are so many different kinds.are the plain beige coloured ones more acceptable do you think? She only eats the green Kaytee ones.
She eats a small bowl of fresh food,mainly fruit and carrots,with some dried bits of banana,and oats, Not a broccoli or lettuce lover Im afraid.Are nutri berries used as a treat?
Thankyou for all your info.

I fed Zupreem Fruit Blend for many years until desiring a change. Almost universally accepted but fairly high in sugar and artificial dyes. Tried to switch to the "natural" variety but none would touch them even if mixed for transitioned.

I believe some folks use Nutriberries as a dietary staple. Have fed only as a treat long ago and cannot recall the ingredients.

Most Reactions

Latest posts