Pellets

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Hey everyone, so this morning I was getting Theo’s pellets and fresh food and I saw little black specs in his pellets. What could it be from? I’ll attach a picture they are the brand tropican. I am going to be ordering Harrison’s but wanted to try these pellets again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 65

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
That's suspicious.. it might be mould or it could be an ingredient in the pellets. You've used these before right? And did they have black spots? If not contact the place you bought this from ASAP.

Check the expiry date, did it expire? How old is the pellets? How long has it been out for?

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
That's suspicious.. it might be mould or it could be an ingredient in the pellets. You've used these before right? And did they have black spots? If not contact the place you bought this from ASAP.

Check the expiry date, did it expire? How old is the pellets? How long has it been out for?
I jus recently got them I didn’t see if they had black spot before I just noticed now. I contacyed the manufacture they said they will respond within 2 business day. What should I do in the meantime I don’t want to feed it to him if it is not good .

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I jus recently got them I didn’t see if they had black spot before I just noticed now. I contacyed the manufacture they said they will respond within 2 business day. What should I do in the meantime I don’t want to feed it to him if it is not good .
I'm not sure, do you have other pellets? Alternatively give him a healthy seed mix for now, you probably already have one.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Yeah, contact the manufacturer and don't feed them to Theo. I don't know what happened there but I don't think I need to to know something is wrong.

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
I have school tomorrow but after I can get him some pellets. Do you think he will be ok for the day if I give him fresh food and grains and legumes?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I have school tomorrow but after I can get him some pellets. Do you think he will be ok for the day if I give him fresh food and grains and legumes?
Only fresh food? Yeah, he'll be fine as long as you give him enough.

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Only fresh food? Yeah, he'll be fine as long as you give him enough.
Ok sounds good! Thanks so much the manufacturer said they will get back to me in 2 business day so we will see I’ll probably end up just throwing them out just to be safe but it good to know for next time. Thanks!

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
If you just got them, consider returning them to the store!
This is one reason I store everything in the freezer!
I also store mine in the freezer in a ziplock baggie so I’m thinking o might be an ingredient. :))

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Ok good news, I got more pellets today and they have the same specks in it. I believe it is from the sunflower seeds that are an ingredient in the pellets. The date is good until 2023. I also store them in the freezer and marked the date on the freezer bag.

Most Reactions

Latest posts