LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
What a difference a day makes! Yay Pika, looking awesome :D

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
This thread is so full of drama! I’m glad everyone seems to be doing better. The difference in Pikachu’s eye is fantastic. Crossing fingers everyone continues in this direction and that the hormones calm down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I wish it was over and everybody well!! With 7 sick birds, we all got to see some of the common complications..
Ta-dah not taking medication well and having a prolonged recovery because of that.
Penny getting so debilitated from fighting the infection she needed nutritional support,
and Pikachu having a relapse.....they are actually common things to happen, and since I got a heck-o-lot of birds ....we got to see that

I hope that actually makes sharing all this drama worth it. I would have preferred the no complications route tho!!! Pikachu relapse caught me off gaurd!!

Some of Pikachu sinus swelling did come back later in the day. When I treat him I will see how things are today.

Yep you can see the swelling is back in front if his eye...but his eye lid isn't as red. Nostrils are less inflamed.
Weight up 1 gram to 114!! 115 is what his last weight before getting sick was. He lowest was 104 , at that point 9.4% weight-loss that's a pretty sick bird. He was eating at his sickest! And his behavior was completely normal!! Please remember they hide being sick!!! He played, he talked , he was active. He did develop the periorbital sinus swelling when he was sick the first time too.
laurasea-albums-pikachu-picture23208-20210219-111344.jpg

Ta-dah is 77!!!!!! I pray is just all tge peniut butter i had given her.....please.....
But she is really cavity seeking. I have just the back of Penny cage covered because its by a window. Abd we were 84 yesterday and will drop fifty degrees to 34 tonight!
Anyway Tadah want to move into her cage.
I can't feel an egg...

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Ah Laura, sharing the saga so worthwhile! Even if nobody read your posts, (41 pages richly proves otherwise!) venting is helpful for the soul. If there were just one thing you've taught us.... the value of supportive care, record keeping, and eagle-eye observations! But no, we've learned so much more during the arduous journey.

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
Laura,

I did not get to read the whole saga. I read the early post and then assumed all was well. I didn't realize that the sickness spread through your flock. I am very sorry.

Your birds are lucky to have you. Good luck with their recovery. I would offer to try and help if I was near, but it is unlikely that you are close to New Hampshire.

Best wishes for your flock!

Mike

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ah Laura, sharing the saga so worthwhile! Even if nobody read your posts, (41 pages richly proves otherwise!) venting is helpful for the soul. If there were just one thing you've taught us.... the value of supportive care, record keeping, and eagle-eye observations! But no, we've learned so much more during the arduous journey.

Thank you. Its my hope, that me having to learn the hard way , makes things easier fir someone else!

When Ta-dah was sick with yeast overgrowth a couple of years ago, it was members on this forum that told me about the digital kitchen scale and weight checks!! Having that info and since then weighing my birds...well that was huge in saving my flock this time!!! Because I knew what they should weigh! Caught the rest of the flock early by weigh loss alone!!! Some of the 7 only ever had weight-loss as a symptom! Every member should weigh their bird. Weekly, as in a week some of my burds lost 10% !! Catching a sick bird early by weight-loss, will save your birds life, if you get vet care quickly!!

When Penny was very sick I got see how tge flock turns on a sick bird. The flock was out and I got Penny out to treat her. The flock attacked her!!@ Pikachu her mate who has ever had a fight with anyone attacked her too, they attacked as a group! Drew blood on her foot. And I'm sure if I hadn't broken it up they would have killed her. This is why birds hide being sick until they can't.

Burds hide being sick. Most of my flock had no behavior or activity change at all!@ Ta-dah kept loosing weight while be rambunctious, and eating, she was trying to keep up with calories demanded of being sick. So I hate hearing people who haven't birds showing some symptoms of being sick say , they aren't worried because the bird is active and eating...
Or that they were fine the day before..we had that Amazon just recently, fine the day before, thankfully he took straight to the vet. Sadly his burd was beyond help at that point. Any symptoms you need to have your bird seen by an avain vet, we don't say that to get vets business, but because none of us know if its life or death for your bird.

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Laura,

I did not get to read the whole saga. I read the early post and then assumed all was well. I didn't realize that the sickness spread through your flock. I am very sorry.

Your birds are lucky to have you. Good luck with their recovery. I would offer to try and help if I was near, but it is unlikely that you are close to New Hampshire.

Best wishes for your flock!

Mike

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks fir checking back in...o didn't know would spread to everyone either...we are so close to having everyone well and fat and sassy, so close!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
With 7 sick birds, we all got to see some of the common complications..

Wow. Demands would set a complicated rotation of attention.

I was able to create a flock. So they are all on me at the same time, or on the spiral rope perches next to me. Only one budgie stays away and that's Clear Skies. It feels pretty special to be surrounded by parrots. On my shoulders, my arms, my hands my legs and the budgies on my head or the back if my chair. When they all make kiss noise, or laugh or say hello in unison it magic!

They are usually all on me at the same time, or all foraging at the same time , or all flying together, or all taking a bath, they are a flock.

For me that's normal. But I know that's not how things work out for everybody. They each have their own cage.

Makes me feel like snow white!

Foraging on those hunks of veggies keeps them busy twice a day. And they get caged for an hour nap time. ( that took some work, but is now routine) they are all flighted. The rest is a lot of parrot kisses and snuggles, I wish you could know the joy .

The one budgie is escape rescue, the other 2 given by some moving, Pikachu is a rehome, Penny I had to rescue from terrible situation, Ta-dah I bought years ago st a pet store, and my newest Orbit i bought, because he was screaming none stop, over preening starting to pluck , and he reminded me of Neptune. He had been at the petstore for a couple if months, was fearful. I didn't want him to have a terrible life with that screaming. Every time I came to the petstore for stuff he screamed the whole time i was there.... The day I decided to make him mine I came in on the store meeting, they were going to send him back. I paid way to much for him, but I consider him a rescue too. Thankfully the store isn't going to get a quaker again , that screaming drive them nuts. Me too!!! But I got it stopped.

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ta-dah is still 77 grams. I still don't feel any egg. I'm praying I just made her fat!!

Orbit is all if a sudden practicing words, while hidden out of sight, so cute. Pikachu only says a couple of words, ive just heard Orbit say 4.

Pikachu sinus swelling is down again this morning after yesterday's Azithromyacin.
He lost 1 gram to 113
Penny is down 3 to 105 hmmmm....

Orbit is 93

Today veggies, addition, asparagus, red chili peppers, brussel sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, and romaine lettuce. And a little boiled egg

25860d1613835016-penny-sick-i-ve-been-holding-back-making-thread-20210220_100125.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ta-dah bouncing between 77-78 on scale today. Her past normal had been 74. Im keeping my hope that I just plumped her up with all that good food .

Today is azithromyacin day for Pikachu. I will look at that sinus swelling by eye maybe get a new pic. Ok still some swelling of periorbital sinus . The trouble of giving medication to him right now is he wants to regurgitate Penny all the time. And I need the medication to stay in his body!! Not be be fed as a love gesture to Penny.
laurasea-albums-pikachu-picture23215-20210221-093633.jpg

Gosh dang it!! While holding him and checking the forum, his nostril started draining. Its good its draining, but underlines the seriousness of his relapse. You can see tge redness over the area between the nostril and the eye. Will turn on humidification , do a steam room and sinus flush..

laurasea-albums-pikachu-picture23216-20210221-100202.jpg

All the birds are hormonal. Budgies are humping everything that holds still...the others are cavity nest seeking and territorial, and extra vocal.

I put out mango today, and they went crazy for it.

laurasea-albums-ta-dah-picture23214-20210221-091613.jpg

Last edited:

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
That time of the year. We have budgies laying and at least one of the new girly tiels is laying. Still in quarantine, yet rearing to go! Lol. We are about to break quarantine and begin introductions. Spring is here, despite the frigid weather.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
( waited to update on her till heard from vet) Penny lost 2 more grams down to 102 from 108. 5.5% weight-loss in 3? Days. She has had 2 episodes of green urine...
So I knew she was at risk for re infection from Pikachu regurgitation to her .

I've talked to vet, she is researching. We will probably start the whole flock on doxycycline or a drug in that family. It sucks so bad!!! Not that it isn't uncommon to have to treat a second round to clear this nasty bacteria!! In my links before it talks about this.

But I'm sooo unhappy and worried. I know we kicked its butt once.. but I don't want to hsve to fight it again. Please add us to your prayers.

As an aside chlamydia is very common in wild birds here in North America. My vet was reading up on this. Be cautious with your out door aviary.

https://www.birdclinic.net/avian5.htm

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Laura I’m so sorry to know that you and your flock are still fighting this diabolical infection. You have all been in my prayers since day one and continue to be. You’re strong and smart and resourceful, Laura, and with the support of your vet and everyone here who loves you I know you will get through this. You are all in my thoughts almost constantly, and I am praying for a successful outcome!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh no Penny, not again. :( I do hope it's not another full go around with this. I'm exhausted just reading about it. Don't know how you do it Laura, but you're doing it! Keep it up my friend. It will all be in the past soon enough. Sending more hugs and prayers your way.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you both. I am exhausted. Abd I will be having to be at the hospital 8 hours a day fir transfusions next week I think, missed my call on Friday..
I'm trying to stay posted and strong. It is treatable, its just a big fight....

This talks about poop , urine. Even mention tge green urine and it's link with Chlamydia , tho other things can cause. Not all roads lead to Chlamydia. biliverdinuria (green droppings due to bile pigments),
https://brookfallsveterinary.com/pet-library/bird-articles/abnormal-droppings/

Thus us great article though its about pigeons. It does have graphic pictures of internal organs so be warned. Aldo has poop pictures of tge green urine
https://www.auspigeonco.com.au/dropping-interpretation.html

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hang in there Laura, hopefully any second round will be easier and of shorter duration. Hopefully!

Make sure you take care of yourself as well. That's not a luxury, it is critical for your flock!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ta-dah still 77
Penny back at 108 ( ate a bunch if baby bird formula yesterday )
Pikachu 113, eye swelling gone ( ar least right now)
Orbit 92

Cleaning everything with dilute bleach as directed, with birds away and windows open. Directed to not vacuum during this. Its ok as hardwood and tile , spare room with carpet closed off not used. Changed filter in home. Will change out in 2 week intervals till this over. Looking at probably 2 months to kick this out of the home. Will always be careful that any stress in a burd could lead to relapse .

Remember to Quarantine new birds, and have a vet visit. Its not a joke, and you know there are worse things out there....

Little Cloudy Skies, showing off fashion feather. I'd say has the confidence to pull it off!
laurasea-albums-keets-picture23275-20210222-092028.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts