Perjo is growing up fast

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
She's really starting to talk a lot more and she's become significantly more cuddly and affectionate in the past 6 mos. But the past 3 days takes the cake. Her favorite spot when I open the cage and let her have freedom is on a cage door perch or the top of the cage door itself. I do my thing around the house and she does hers on the cage. But in the past 3 days I've been sitting in the other room and suddenly hear little foot steps fast approaching. I didn't hear any feathers fluttering so I know she didn't fly off the cage. What did she do? She climbs to the bottom of the door and gets her self balanced on the cage trays at the bottom and leans down and lets herself gently fall to the floor.

Now as awesome as it is that she is figuring that out it just adds that element of extra danger that I can no longer assume she is safely out of harms way on her cage. Now I have to look all around before putting one foot on the ground.

Damn little stinker, and she knows it's a new surprise to me. I feel as if now that she knows I know and it isn't what I want her doing that she will do it more often.

I have a video of it to share soon.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bicTJ31lioc&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bicTJ31lioc&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
NEVER under estimate the intelligence and determination of a Grey!
Or the sneakiness!

Jim

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
It is scary especially when you don't hear them coming. But its so darn cute the way they walk.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
She is becoming more and more curious everyday that she is on the floor walking around. She will now go into each room on the first floor until she finds me. The house isn't huge so it's not too difficult to keep track of her on the first floor but there is always that risk of of them getting out of sight for a split second.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
wow, she must be very happy and feel very safe to walk around your home, so good on you :)
Id be happier if she flew though, if shes walking around she will find all the dangers, power cables, telephone cables etc. My now gone cockatiel could not fly and he used to walk/run every where, I found he had his normal spots but if he was alone in a room he would often go to corners of rooms or behind open doors so I had to be very vigilant when moving around myself. At least with him i didnt need to make any human level surface parrot safe! I must say, my CAG takes very slow methodical steps most of the time unless she is being aggressive towards something, id love to see her run, i bet it would look hilarious!

Good luck and enjoy your bird, she looks fabulous :)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
She is becoming more and more curious everyday that she is on the floor walking around. She will now go into each room on the first floor until she finds me. The house isn't huge so it's not too difficult to keep track of her on the first floor but there is always that risk of of them getting out of sight for a split second.

Smokes was quite the adventurer herself. I'd be in the kitchen,thinking she is just hanging out and grooving on her roof top..'til I hear her banging her beak on the bedroom doors saying "hello?" or banging on the base boards as she waddles down the halls.:rolleyes:

Jim

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
wow, she must be very happy and feel very safe to walk around your home, so good on you :)
Id be happier if she flew though, if shes walking around she will find all the dangers, power cables, telephone cables etc. My now gone cockatiel could not fly and he used to walk/run every where, I found he had his normal spots but if he was alone in a room he would often go to corners of rooms or behind open doors so I had to be very vigilant when moving around myself. At least with him i didnt need to make any human level surface parrot safe! I must say, my CAG takes very slow methodical steps most of the time unless she is being aggressive towards something, id love to see her run, i bet it would look hilarious!

Good luck and enjoy your bird, she looks fabulous :)

She is never on the floor unsupervised, not ever. I have made some efforts to make my place safe, wire looms on cords, few items to hide behind. I let her on the floor for the purpose of variety and not letting her get too bored with same old same old routine. It helps keep her mind occupied and allows her to explore a little. Perjo does run and it is pretty funny. She's starting to regain the ability to fly, so I am excited about that too.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Excellent, I hadn't realised sorry :)
Enzo is very wary of going on the floor, even if she drops a crisp she will leave it. Previous homes must have had dogs, cats, snakes or monitor lizards lol

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
If Perjo drops a toy she says "whoops".

Most Reactions