Pics of Papi

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
Here's a few pics of Papi to spark some 'Opinions' of the possible species he may be

Attachments

• 20221213_121120.jpg
    20221213_121120.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20221213_121527.jpg
    20221213_121527.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221213_121734.jpg
    20221213_121734.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20221213_122707.jpg
    20221213_122707.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 61
OP
D

DKay& Papi

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
BFA/RLA?
I mentioned that Papi is 18 yes old and is a very nice bird but has no interest in stepping up on anything. I looked back on the adoption papers and it appears he's never stepped up...ughh. I just wanna hold him a little bit lol so now what???

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
He is beautiful regardless of what species he is!
Oh yes, he is!

Funny I saw a photo of an indigenous South American activist in the Guardian this morning and she was wearing a headdress with some of those same feathers…. I know people used to catch and keep macaws (and eagles too) and pluck their wing feathers.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I mentioned that Papi is 18 yes old and is a very nice bird but has no interest in stepping up on anything. I looked back on the adoption papers and it appears he's never stepped up...ughh. I just wanna hold him a little bit lol so now what???
Work on gaining his trust with treats and then try stick training. I have a RLA who came to me sick. When I first got him, he would step up and seemed so sweet, but that was only because he was extremely sick. Now that he is healthy, he is a typical feisty amazon. I have been able to get him to step up on a stick and am hoping that eventually I will be able to get him to step up on my hand. I know it is easier said than done, but patience and winning him over is the key.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Oh yes, he is!

Funny I saw a photo of an indigenous South American activist in the Guardian this morning and she was wearing a headdress with some of those same feathers…. I know people used to catch and keep macaws (and eagles too) and pluck their wing feathers.

Latter to find that they simply collect the molted feathers. Only time they removed the feathers is if the Bird died.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Latter to find that they simply collect the molted feathers. Only time they removed the feathers is if the Bird died.
Well that sounds a lot more pleasant for the bird than pulling its feathers! I hope that’s true. I thought that was quite mean to the bird.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Here's a few pics of Papi to spark some 'Opinions' of the possible species he may be

It is my belief that you have a Diademed Amazon /Red-lorded Amazon. This family of Amazons live very near each other and likely there is a third species blended in there. This area of Southern, Central Americas commonly have Parrots with a natural wide variation of the amount of color they display.

Your Amazon has a very muted, blended and limited area of color, which makes precise assignment very difficult without being hands-on. IMHO, there is no Blue-Fronted Amazon as the general size is smaller than that species and its sub-sets and not the needed coloration.

Others may disagree, but they will be faced with the same realities. My choice included the color of the bill and nails, plus the body feathers. Again, your Amazon is very difficult to place with precision.

Accept your Amazon as he is!! Some are just not into being touched.
Step-up is something that will just take time as at this age, he has likely had several bad experiences in his 18 year of life. Remember, time is on your side and slow and steady is a reality. My past Yellow-Winged Amazon (part of the Blue-Fronted family), want nothing to do with fingers and then, one day it all changed.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts