Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
#1 history
I bought Pinky (along with Lady another cockatiel) at a garage sale for $40. Both were untamed. I was told they were purchased at a Bird show at the Pomona fair grounds and were about 1 year old. They were selling them because they had to move from a house to an apartment and could not keep them.

About 6 weeks after bringing them home Lady had a serious problem. She was walking in circles with her head tilted at a severe angle. She was able to eat and drink but her head movement was very jerky and she kept falling of her perch. It was horrible to watch.

The Vet said it was most likely a brain tumor and was best to have her put to sleep.

Pinky did not seem upset without her friend and she was with my other 2 cockatiels Lucky and Baby.

The problem with this arrangement is that Lucky and Baby (both male) are bonded to each other. Lucky really hates Pinky and Baby just tolerates Pinky. They are not fighting with each other or I would not keep them in the same cage but if Pinky gets too close to Lucky he will um .. chase her away.
#2 The feather Plucking

It was about a year after Losing Lady that Pinky started to pluck her feathers. She started out with the feathers under her wings. You could hear her SQUEAK with each feather. I did not take her to the vet at this time because I figured if she had mites or some other medical cause for this my other birds would also be having the same problem.

I dont know why but she shifted from under the wings to her back. It was like overnight that her back was just bare skin. I was getting desperate at this point and bought a 4th cockatiel (Sunny) in the hope that it would make a better companion for Pinky.

The jury is still out as to how well they will get along but the feather plucking continued. Then I started seeing bare spots on her wings.

At this point I went in to the Vet. They ran some test to the tune of a $200. Bill. Everything came back negative. The vet recommended toys (already have some toys in there) and hanging strips of paper from the cage or even putting a feather duster In the cage. Pinky is a very skittish bird, adding a toy or anything hanging just scares her. I dont;t know where to go from here. I have tried separated Pinky from the other birds, moved the cage to new locations, nothing has helped. any ideas or advise would be welcome. texsize.

Last edited:
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Last edited:

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
I know just how you feel. My goffins is a plucker of sorts, the vet found nothing much wrong that a better diet shouldn't fix which he most certainly gets here. I got the same "distract with toys" speech. His is emotional, he makes that perfectly clear when something doesn't go his way by upping the ante on his plucking. Actually he sort of barbers his feathers, chews the ends off only. It's so stressful and sad. I heard about supplements called Avicalm and Featheriffic so we're trying that now. No results yet but I'm hoping. He couldn't have more toys, he's got a ton of them. I see him rubbing on stuff all the time, and picking him up gets him too excited and he starts trying to get a little too close and personal with whoever he's on. We've had to limit how long anyone touches him because it sets him on a chewing frenzy from over-excitement/stimulation. I really feel his tension is sexual frustration more than anything. I think he knows he should be out flying free with a girlfriend, making nests and little baby cockatoos. Instead he's stuck in here and it makes him miserable. If only there was some program to relocate parrots back to their natural homes I'd take him there in a New York minute for his own sake and sanity. This was not a bird who should have ever have been in captivity, I can tell you that. If I could give him his freedom I would, no matter the cost to my bank account or heart :(

I would talk to the moderator Allee about plucking issues as she beat hers with her cockatoo. She is very helpful. It may help that your bird is female, hers is too. I doubt anything will help my male get over his hormonal issues. Good luck to you.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have felt that her stress is sexual in nature. she is in a cage with 2 males that don't give her the time of day ;). I have read and found it to be true with my female amazon that stimulation under the wing can sort of turn them on.
as long as she does not get to the point of self mutilation I think I will just have to let her be.
If she starts causing bleeding I may try some sort of vest. I think a collar would be cruel.
texsize

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
What kind of tests did your vet run? I just ask because sometimes general checks are done but blood panels are specific not all give the same result. It can depend on what they plan to analyze at times.

If it's not medical, then it's definitely behavioural. Personally I think buying an animal for an animal is generally a no-no, but in this case I understand why you did. Hopefully the new addition helps a bit.

As for the toys, what types of toys are they? Sometimes soft woods and shreddable papers are great to help keep some of the plucking behaviours away. Another important thing to do is encourage foraging behaviours. Mental stimulation can help keep the plucking desire at bay.

While collars can seem cruel, sometimes they are necessary. You can make them soft and pleasant with fleece. Vests don't always guarantee prevention, it just means they target an area they can reach (legs, under the wings, on top of the wings, etc) instead. They can be great for warmth if the feather follicles have been irreparably damaged, too.

I haven't dealt with plucking before, but this is my general take on it. It can be incredibly difficult to prevent when it starts, but it can be done. Sometimes it's about breaking a habit, other times it's about pinpointing what is causing it and treating it. I wish you luck!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't remember the exact test's but he took a sample of the feathers and sent them to a lab. took about a week to get the results. I know he was looking for mites and I think maybe some kind of mold. If it was a medical problem it could not be very contagious or all the cockatiels would have had the same problem.

I put a small cardboard box filled with millet. I had hanging plastic/wooden toys with small bells. I put strips of paper.
she ignored the cardboard box and was afraid of the hanging things.
I also tried a wicker cone shaped hanger that you stuffed with millet.
one of the other birds got it's head tangled in the thing and it had to be removed.

:31: :yellow1:
texsize

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
She needed a poop gram and blood tests ran as well, but they are expensive-just to let you know so you aren't surprised.

As for a collar we tried that route too, it ended in a highly depressed bird who just sat there looking dead 24/7. I ordered mine from Protective Petals by Pam and it was very nice in quality. I ended up taking it off him because it did more harm psychologically than it helped his feathers. He looks like a shorn sheep most of the time but at least he moves and is generally happier that way. He didn't even eat well while it was on him which scared the crap out of me. As long as there's no blood I'm not putting that thing back on him. Yesterday my parents were here and Mako got hyped up because he likes the attention he gets from visitors(we've learned he can't handle too much without chewing himself so he gets less than he wants here for his own safety). After they left he started in on himself and started chewing feather tips off. I had to sit there in a chair within sight and redirect him every time he started by saying "No Mako! No no!" After he sat there calmly for a little while I'd hand him a pine nut for positive reinforcement. After so long he stopped chewing. That's how it goes around here. I have to watch him and distract him when he gets to going like that which always happens when new people are in the house. It's really hard to control people liking the little guy because he's so funny and attracts attention to himself with calls and whistles.

Perhaps the best thing to do for your bird if she's harming herself because of the boys is remove her from their sight and introduce yourself as her "mate". If your new plan doesn't work out maybe you could try that. Since she's female, maybe you could refocus her love and attention on you alone. They sound like they are stressing her out being in sight, like maybe she's pining for their love that she never gets.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
now that I have had time to think about what test's were run I remembered what the Vet said. He had not wanted to stress Pinky out more than he had to in one visit and so he did not run blood test's.
Do you think it worthwhile ?
please keep in mind Pinky is in the same cage as my 3 other birds. the other birds are exposed the her droppings, shed/plucked feathers and everything else. I just can't see it being anything contagious .
texsize

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Blood tests and x-rays would be highly recommended. I've seen a few lutinos that plucked, and at least one of them there was a medical problem, although I don't recall what it was. It's quite possible for her to have a medical issue but not the other cockatiels... such as an enlarged heart, enlarged organs, or?

Also, it would be a good idea to test for parasites just to be on the safe side.... which means that fecal samples need to be taken.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm sorry for your loss of Lady. The loss of her friend may have effected Pinky more than you know, birds are good at hiding symptoms. A lot of female cockatiels have hormonal issues.

FWIW, I agree with the advice already given. In any plucking case, medical issues should be ruled out or pinpointed before further action is taken. Birds with internal pain will often pick at the area. Each plucking case is different but in many cases the problem can be resolved with a vet visit.

Environment is the next area to focus on. No one knows your birds as well as you do so, of course, the final decision is yours alone. I would give Pinky her own cage, for any plucker, removing possible stressors is a wise choice. Birds that have plucked for any reason will often revert to plucking at the first signs of stress or physical discomfort. Parrots adapt to situations, after all, their choices are limited, they will usually fuss about changes but that doesn't mean positive changes should not be made. Having her own private space and her own food sources may help her to gain some confidence and focus on something other than her cage mates.

People keep telling you, and you keep reading about the benefits of toys for birds that pluck, there's good reason for that. Busy beaks are happy beaks, a constantly changing supply of toys gives a parrot's brain something to do, it's healthy for any bird. IMO, preening toys and toys that hold a plucking bird's interest are not just for fun, they are essential. I'm not telling you to keep purchasing toys that will never be touched, but parrots can learn to play with toys even if they never have. Cockatiels are playful birds for the most part, keep offering new opportunities and Pinky will find toys that spike her natural curiosity. There are plenty of DIY toys that cost little more than time. Try attaching toys to the sides of the cage rather than hanging them.

Cockatiels have powder down, when they don't preen in a normal, healthy way they can develop dry, itchy skin, the condition is often mistaken for mites. You may want to check the humidity levels in your home. An air purifier makes a positive difference for everyone, but it's especially helpful for our powder birds. Keeping cages clean keeps the dust down and improves feather condition, frequent baths in plain, warm water helps too.

Health, diet, environment, interaction, activity, all play a part in a bird's overall health. Many times with pluckers it isn't one thing you do that makes a difference, but a combination of things.

Best of luck with Pinky! Please let us know what you decide and how she progresses.

***Minimaker, thanks for the kind words and vote of confidence. :) Harry, my Quaker parrot has taught me more than I ever expected to know about plucking and Quaker Mutilation Syndrome.

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
I'm sorry for your loss of Lady. The loss of her friend may have effected Pinky more than you know, birds are good at hiding symptoms. A lot of female cockatiels have hormonal issues.

FWIW, I agree with the advice already given. In any plucking case, medical issues should be ruled out or pinpointed before further action is taken. Birds with internal pain will often pick at the area. Each plucking case is different but in many cases the problem can be resolved with a vet visit.

Environment is the next area to focus on. No one knows your birds as well as you do so, of course, the final decision is yours alone. I would give Pinky her own cage, for any plucker, removing possible stressors is a wise choice. Birds that have plucked for any reason will often revert to plucking at the first signs of stress or physical discomfort. Parrots adapt to situations, after all, their choices are limited, they will usually fuss about changes but that doesn't mean positive changes should not be made. Having her own private space and her own food sources may help her to gain some confidence and focus on something other than her cage mates.

People keep telling you, and you keep reading about the benefits of toys for birds that pluck, there's good reason for that. Busy beaks are happy beaks, a constantly changing supply of toys gives a parrot's brain something to do, it's healthy for any bird. IMO, preening toys and toys that hold a plucking bird's interest are not just for fun, they are essential. I'm not telling you to keep purchasing toys that will never be touched, but parrots can learn to play with toys even if they never have. Cockatiels are playful birds for the most part, keep offering new opportunities and Pinky will find toys that spike her natural curiosity. There are plenty of DIY toys that cost little more than time. Try attaching toys to the sides of the cage rather than hanging them.

Cockatiels have powder down, when they don't preen in a normal, healthy way they can develop dry, itchy skin, the condition is often mistaken for mites. You may want to check the humidity levels in your home. An air purifier makes a positive difference for everyone, but it's especially helpful for our powder birds. Keeping cages clean keeps the dust down and improves feather condition, frequent baths in plain, warm water helps too.

Health, diet, environment, interaction, activity, all play a part in a bird's overall health. Many times with pluckers it isn't one thing you do that makes a difference, but a combination of things.

Best of luck with Pinky! Please let us know what you decide and how she progresses.

***Minimaker, thanks for the kind words and vote of confidence. :) Harry, my Quaker parrot has taught me more than I ever expected to know about plucking and Quaker Mutilation Syndrome.

Oh gosh, I thought it was your cockatoo that plucked. Sorry about that. My memory is crap these days.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
No worries, Minimaker! :) Very small mistake, we do have a female cockatoo, we blame her for stuff she doesn't do too!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
change of location

I recently made a change in the cage location. 3-4 days ago moved cage from living room to dining room. She can now look out the window and I have not been hearing the usual SQUEAK that would signify the plucking of a feather.
I will try to pick up another toy this weekend but I do think she is doing better.
below is a picture of lucky, he loves to play in his box with his friend baby.
back-away-from-the-box_zpsf6amqsm0.jpg

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I hope Pinky stops plucking herself! :)

I'm sure that Lucky "enjoys" playing in that cardboard box! Probably reminds him of a nest and he's probably thinking it would make a might fine place to raise a family! ;)

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
looking better

I got a good look at Pinky's back this morning. She had a short flight and landed in the sink(empty):eek: so I was able to examine her back closely. It looks to me like some of the feathers are growing in.:D

:yellow1:
She spends a lot of time looking out the window now but I am going to go out today and get a new toy or two.

texsize.

Most Reactions

Latest posts