Playtime questions

Cyrinaluna

Feb 27, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Parrots
1 cinnimon GCC - Lizzy
We just got a yellow sided green cheek in at work, and watching him play vs watching Lizzy play has raised some questions with me. Now the conure at work is only 5 months old and Lizzy is 4 years (wife of the couple I got her from called recently and told me they found her hatch certificate and the husband was way off base when he told me 6-9 months.... turns out they had only had her for that long. So he assumed that was her age and didn't bother to actually check. Also she was born on my birthday! But I digress).
And I understand every bird is going to be different. Even in the same species. But Merlot (work gcc) plays around like a clown. Jumps everywhere, hangs upside down wrestles with his toys etc. Lizzy on the other hand is much more subdued about her playing. She doesn't like swings, most of her toys are ignored unless they're made of cardboard or vine balls. And she prefers my attention over anything. Which i love giving her, but im gone at work at least 6 hours most days (as I type this, she just climbed around to the front of my face using my glasses and just perched on them preening my hair). I've tried playing with her toys like they're the best things ever, and that works for a bit but after a day or two the toy is untouched. I'm really worried she's bored when I'm gone.
In her previous home she was with another green cheek. I'm wondering if she needs the companionship. But at the moment I can't afford another bird.
Maybe I'm just over thinking things. Any suggestions?

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
My cinnamons haven't been real clowny either. I don't know if its a genetic thing, but both my first one and my current one are cute and fun, but too 'dignified" to play goofy like that. However, Phlox is only 6-1/2 months old, so she may change. She is quite a different character over all.

What it really comes down to is all birds are different. And she might learn to play more over time, the more you play with her.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Avery has never been a rough-and-tumble kind of bird, although she is only a normal green cheek. But a friend's green cheek is completely like that... he'll hang upside down, roll around, and just go bonkers. At times Avery will have a good go at her toys (you'd be surprised what they do when you're not home or watching... all the best stories of her are when I'm gone and my boyfriend is home) and be an absolute goof at random times. But only in her cage and when I'm not home. Outside of it she only wants to be on me and with me, and when I'm home she only wants to watch me.

So I wouldn't worry about it so long as she isn't developing feather destructive behaviours. It's like going to a school playground and watching the kindergarten's play. Some get reaaaal crazy while others prefer to talk or just spin/swing... and our birds happen to be the latter.

Most Reactions