Please answer some general parrot questions for me

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I don't have a parrot yet but I want to get one and learn about them first
I am looking to buy a conure in a few weeks time. I ordered this cage, is it big enough for a green cheek or sun conure?

Screenshot_20230130-194955_Chrome.jpg

Wire Spacing: 3/8
Material: Non-toxic and pet safe powder-coated steel mesh with metal tray.
Color: White hammertone finish
Includes: 3 Perches, 4 Cups, Grille, and Tray
Overall Size: 37" L x 28" W x 68" H
InTerior Space: 36" L x 27" W x 48" H
Wire Gauge: 11 x 16

Also does anyone know of any good Canadian toy and perch companies?

I also got some sprouting seeds mix, what are the best pellets for conures?

Another question... one of my friend has a cockatiel who she takes outside with her every day on her shoulder. She's done this for years and years, she just takes them everywhere. They're really tame and step up for everyone. Is it possible to train a conure to be like this.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It looks big enough for sure.
But.
I canā€™t tell what the doors are like.
If they are the lift up and tilt out type doors they can be dangerous.
Best if you come up with something to tie/hold them open securely.
they can slam down and catch your bird in the doorway with unfortunate results

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
There are big doors that fasten with a pin and then I think smaller guillotine-style doors.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
The cage question is answered well above!

This is on canadian site I know of: https://www.thingsforwings.ca/
As for the best pellets, I recommend TOPs or Caitec Oven fresh bites.

It is possible to train and condition any bird to be very tame, however, if taken outside always have your bird in a harness even if they are clipped birds are still made to fly!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Congrats! Wonderful cage!

How well your parrot does with strangers and meeting other people will depend on the bird and on how much interaction with other people theyā€™ve had from a young age.

You can take your bird outside in a backpack carrier or work on harness training. Just be prepared for harness training to take a long time if you decide to peruse it. Iā€™ve been working at it for about 6 months and am still a long ways away from being successful. Make sure to give your new baby time to settle in and adjust before starting any new training.

The two most popular pellet brands are Tops and Harrisonā€™s. I use Harrisonā€™s Adult Lifetime Fine. If youā€™re getting a baby, you will want to find out what kind of pellets your bird was weaned on as that may be all they will eat at first.

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I don't have a parrot yet but I want to get one and learn about them first
Congrats! Wonderful cage!

How well your parrot does with strangers and meeting other people will depend on the bird and on how much interaction with other people theyā€™ve had from a young age.

You can take your bird outside in a backpack carrier or work on harness training. Just be prepared for harness training to take a long time if you decide to peruse it. Iā€™ve been working at it for about 6 months and am still a long ways away from being successful. Make sure to give your new baby time to settle in and adjust before starting any new training.

The two most popular pellet brands are Tops and Harrisonā€™s. I use Harrisonā€™s Adult Lifetime Fine. If youā€™re getting a baby, you will want to find out what kind of pellets your bird was weaned on as that may be all they will eat at first.
I was also wondering about how to set healthy boundaries and establish good behaviours early on. I read that in the first few weeks behaviours are most malleable due to the new environment. So what are some good methods to encourage a bird to be healthy in the long run? Like not overbonded, able to entertain themselves, not engaging in self destructive behaviours... I don't want to screw anything up from the get go.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I was also wondering about how to set healthy boundaries and establish good behaviours early on. I read that in the first few weeks behaviours are most malleable due to the new environment. So what are some good methods to encourage a bird to be healthy in the long run? Like not overbonded, able to entertain themselves, not engaging in self destructive behaviours... I don't want to screw anything up from the get go.

I think how "malleable" the bird is depends more on age than anything. Younger birds tend to be more receptive to change since everything is new for them. It might take an adult bird more time to settle in and adjust. It also just depends on the bird's personality as well.

When you birdie first comes home a good rule of thumb is to make sure you give him or her some time and space to settle in. Everything will be different for them and they will likely be more timid and scared at first. For the first few days it's a good idea to give them more time in the cage so they can get familiar with the new setup and realize they are safe. While they are spending time in the cage be in the room with them, doing something else like reading, watching tv, talking to them every now and then, so the bird gets used to your presence. For some birds they are settled in and ready to interact with you more after a couple days - for others it might take a week. You can also feed your bird treats through the cage so they start to associate you with positive things. Millet spray would be a perfect treat for this with Conures because the bird can eat it without having to be too close to your hand and most Conures love Millet. Over time they will be more comfortable with you and willing to get closer to your hand. The first time you get your bird out of the cage you want him or her to come to you - not to grab them out. Establishing trust is your #1 goal at first. (My personal experience with brining home my first bird was much different than this because Ona already knew me when she came home and already trusted me.)

Keep asking questions and researching as much as you can before the little one comes home. I can't recommend these vids enough:

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts