Please, please advise!! (another heater question)

CrypticDelirium

Sep 16, 2010
NC
Parrots
Georigie, a very maniacal ball of fluff.
Babii (baby), The cuddle sponge
So, today is the first even mildly chilly day down here, so we go to turn on the heat and SURPRISE, nothing happens.

We have a small oscillating heater that uses no chemicals, just electricity, the other is an electric radiator heater that has water in it but you never have to replace the water. We were told when we purchased them that they'd be totally bird safe since they use no chemicals, but I'd much rather hear from someone here than home depo lol.

Since I'm not sure if it'll take an hour or a week for the people to fix the central heat, I will go buy a different type of heater if anyone sees ANY question of safety. I just want to be sure my fids will be warm, cozy, AND most of all SAFE!

Thanks a million times for input! :)

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Do you have pictures of the heaters?

Does the oscillating heater have heating elements (wires) that turn red while heating? If so there's a fair chance they're coated with a teflon-like material. I'm often arguing that the teflon scare is overstated, but this is one situation where it would be a real danger.

I've never heard of a water filled heater except those that are built in and hooked up to a boiler room. Are you sure it's not oil filled? If it's oil filled, then that's the type I recommend. I don't know how a water filled one would work.

OP
C

CrypticDelirium

Sep 16, 2010
NC
Parrots
Thank you, thank you!! I'll try to get a picture up soon.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Correct me if I am wrong but this heater turns and blows heat? If it blows heat then I will be scared to use it because of the draft that it will cause?

It uses almost the same electricity as a bar heater, 1500w and 900W is pretty high. You will definitely see your electricity bill go up.

I have to heat my entire house because I have reptiles that has free roam in the house. South Africa's electricity price went up with almost 60% and left me with an account of over R5 000.00! For this reason I started searching for econo heaters and found a bird and child safe one that is cheap and only draws 400w to heat up a room. I now have one in each room and it stayed on permanent during winter and made a huge difference on my account and the house was warm. The heaters are permanent fixture against the walls.

My parrot slept next to her heater right through the winter.

Here is the website if you are interested, if you click on global you can find it in your area.

Econo-Heat South Africa, Global HQ

OP
C

CrypticDelirium

Sep 16, 2010
NC
Parrots
Thanks Linky, but don't worry if we had to use it we'd position it against the wall and there would be no draft felt by the fids. (We tested that right off when we bought it) = ) Luckily we fixed the problem with the central heat and all's well now, I just wanted to be certain if anything were to happen in the future and we'd need to use one in a pinch for a day or two that it would be safe. I'll definitely look into that link more too, they seem wonderful!

Also if anyone's interested Lasko stated they do not use teflon or the teflon like products in their heaters. = )

Most Reactions

Latest posts