Possible Adoption Happening(New to the Forum)

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Lola-Mexican Red Headed Amazon
Hi Everyone!

I have been lurking for quite a while, reading as much as I can. I used to work at a pet store many many years ago(One of the few actual good ones who knew what they were doing) and had a few different birds when I was college age. A Quaker being one that I had to give up to my brother when I moved out and they moved to Texas because she had bonded with his male. I also had a Nanday for a while. She had been dropped off at the store with obvious neglect and abuse as she had a broken leg that had healed wrong and needed special care. I loved her but as soon as my sister's Mother-in-Law visited for Christmas one year, it was over. She loved that woman so much she went home with her and lived another 10 years happy as a bug until she passed.

Anyway, shortly after all that, I married a military man and our life of moving was never something I wanted to stress a bird with so now that we are retired and settled in one place and my boys are teenagers, I decided it was time. I started the search for a rescue parrot. I love the big guys and knew with their life span that getting a baby was an irresponsible thing to do at this stage of my life. And I love the idea of giving one another chance to have a happy home.

It did not take long! I have found a beautiful 20-25 year old DYH and she is so sweet! Met her the first week and we just talked. I did not want to push her too fast. She responded beautifuly as I watched her body language pretty close. She definitely showed signs of being scared but was also super curious about me. The following week I had my second "meet" with her. We started with her just sitting next to me on the couch. I talked to her and she talked back, she was totally relaxed and even kept walking over to touch my knee a few times. By the end of the visit she was on my arm and up to my shoulder and back and forth talking with me. The rescue owner even asked if she had pinched me yet, which she had not at all. She put her beak to my arm a few times but never tried to pinch me. And she was all "that little jerk, not fair" Every time she tried to get her or pick her up, KC(the DYH) gives her a good pinch, enough to bruise but not break the skin, no matter where she is picking her up from.

The owner decided right then that she is sure KC will respond well to me and I didn't need to do the next 6 visits and I could take her anytime I was ready. However, I noticed a lump on her cheek that day and we are now waiting for her to get checked by a vet before I take her, just for peace of mind. It was a pretty big lump but it also seems to have gone away since our visit on Sunday. She has an appointment on the 8th that we are still keeping just in case and then after that she can come home. I will be going again on Thursday evening and as many times as I can between now and then just to keep visiting and so she can see me and get a little more familiar with me.

She was a one owner bird her whole life and then the owner developed parkinsons and became too sick to care for her. She decided that after not being physically able to get her out of her cage for a few months it was time to give her up. She has been at the rescue since September so not super long. But as you know, people able to adopt a bigger bird is rare, everyone wants the small ones. So she went from a quiet 2 person home with dogs to the chaos of a rescue that has 20+ macaws and quite a few cockatoos so it is LOUD! And she and one of the other amazons have love/hate relationship and he has pulled out all her tail feathers. So, I can't wait to get her out of there!

I am so excited and dedicated to giver her an amazing home. I have been reading all the pinned threads, so much good info! I can not wait to get her home and start the process of helping her transition back to a quieter space and trusting again.

When I figure out how to upload a picture, I will add one here of our last visit.

Last edited:
OP
Peachypink

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Here is her picture. You can clearly see the lump on here cheek. I look icky but she is beautiful.
peachypink-albums-kc-picture23088-2f1e008a-329d-47b1-9d13-f3bdded53a9f.jpeg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi! Congratulations!!! Thrilled you are taking in this girl. I hope her health is ok. I haven't seen a cheek swelling before. So no idea.
We will love hearing all about her adventures with you!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Congratulations (almost) for rescuing a bird in need
The lump in question looks like it's almost over his ear.
Hope it turns out to be nothing.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrotforum and the Wonderful World of Amazons!

We have a male DYH Amazon about the same age and he had lost his folks to age related illnesses and a family that promised mom and dad that they would care for their baby and didn't...

So very happy that you allowed her to choose you as it just makes such a major difference in your early relationship.

Looking forward to hearing the Vets evaluation!

Remember that Adult Amazons expect you to know at least the base body language so keep reading that Thread!!!

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Hope everything works out great!!! You’re in an awkward situation though:

God willing the lump is nothing, but what if surgery is needed to assure the longest possible life? Would the rescue cover that expense?

Fingers crossed!

OP
Peachypink

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! I will be going again this evening to spend more time with her!

Congratulations (almost) for rescuing a bird in need
The lump in question looks like it's almost over his ear.
Hope it turns out to be nothing.

We were able to towel her and look closer, its actually forward more. It was swollen but no different in color than her skin around it.

Welcome to Parrotforum and the Wonderful World of Amazons!

We have a male DYH Amazon about the same age and he had lost his folks to age related illnesses and a family that promised mom and dad that they would care for their baby and didn't...

So very happy that you allowed her to choose you as it just makes such a major difference in your early relationship.

Looking forward to hearing the Vets evaluation!

Remember that Adult Amazons expect you to know at least the base body language so keep reading that Thread!!!

Thank you so much! I wasn't in a hurry and had no expectations even about what kind of parrot I was looking for. Especially with an older parrot, it is so much smoother when they choose you! I was shocked it happened so fast. I have been reading and rereading the threads above. Thank you so much for taking the time to add those! I'm not new to parrots but it has been a LONG time, I don't want to miss a thing!! I know I will make some mistakes but trying as hard as I can not to.

I will definitely be sharing what the vet says as soon as I know!

Hope everything works out great!!! You’re in an awkward situation though:

God willing the lump is nothing, but what if surgery is needed to assure the longest possible life? Would the rescue cover that expense?

Fingers crossed!

I actually spoke with her about that the other day and shared my concerns. I know vet bills are a part of it and will be prepared for it, but yes, later. LOL.
But with the cost of getting her set up and the initial adoption fee, I let her know it was a concern. She is very much wanting this girl to have a good home so she said not to worry about that. She will figure something out. Fingers crossed for sure!!

Again, thank you all!! I am so excited to start sharing our journey and so thankful for such an active forum to find wisdom!

OP
Peachypink

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
So I had another visit with KC tonight. Spent about 2 hours with her. She was quite full of herself tonight. Much more feisty. But ALL of the birds were fired up tonight and it was super loud. She kept swinging her head around and being silly. I brought some strawberries, grapes and sunflower seeds with me and she took a few but she had just eaten before I got there so she wasn’t very motivated. She did let me pick her up(not from the stand but when she flew down to the floor) and then she went from my shoulder to the back of the couch and just kept walking back and forth, coming close then walking back to the arm to talk to me, then get close again. She did grab my finger once when I offered her a sunflower seed but didn’t bite down at all. The last half hour she settled down and was falling asleep while sitting next to me on the arm of the couch. I was also able to get her to step up from the there to take her back to her cage for bed time so that was a win.

I can’t wait to get her home and away from all the distractions so we can really start working on trust and bonding.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just an FYI; Sunflower seeds and Amazons are a dangerous health mix. Fatty Liver can easily develop, so they are on the no-no List with only very rare offerings.

Counting the days!!! Soon, with hope, very soon!!!

OP
Peachypink

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Just an FYI; Sunflower seeds and Amazons are a dangerous health mix. Fatty Liver can easily develop, so they are on the no-no List with only very rare offerings.

Thank you! I am aware of that, her seed mix doesn’t have them in it. The rescue owner told me it was her favorite treat so until I’m able to get her home and find something else I used them this time. I plan on doing chop and making my own seed mix for her. Right now I’m going off of what the rescue lady is telling me about her.

She goes to the Avian Vet on the 8th and we are planning on my picking her up on the 9th or the 10th. Very soon!!! Unless someone cancels and she gets the appointment(she’s on the list) then it would be sooner!!

I do have a question....she was doing her “Ray Charles” impression head swing last night. Basically rolling her head all around, kinda figure 8 style. I don’t want to misinterpret it but it felt like she was just being silly. Is that an indicator that she’s relaxed enough with me to be silly?

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
I am really happy for you that you are at the point in your life when you can have a bird and you found one and she picked you! She is beautiful. That's so exciting. Now I can't wait with you when you bring her home.
I am not experienced enough to answer the questions that you posted but many people on this forum respond with very helpful advice.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

Thank you! I am aware of that, her seed mix doesn’t have them in it. The rescue owner told me it was her favorite treat so until I’m able to get her home and find something else I used them this time. I plan on doing chop and making my own seed mix for her. Right now I’m going off of what the rescue lady is telling me about her.

She goes to the Avian Vet on the 8th and we are planning on my picking her up on the 9th or the 10th. Very soon!!! Unless someone cancels and she gets the appointment(she’s on the list) then it would be sooner!!

I do have a question....she was doing her “Ray Charles” impression head swing last night. Basically rolling her head all around, kinda figure 8 style. I don’t want to misinterpret it but it felt like she was just being silly. Is that an indicator that she’s relaxed enough with me to be silly?

I always called it the “Steve Wonder “ dance but it amounts to the same thing.
This is normally a sign of excitement.
You have to be really sure of your self before trying to handle her in this mood. It is ez to trip over into overstimulated and you can get bit by accident.

OP
Peachypink

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots

I always called it the “Steve Wonder “ dance but it amounts to the same thing.
This is normally a sign of excitement.
You have to be really sure of your self before trying to handle her in this mood. It is ez to trip over into overstimulated and you can get bit by accident.

STEVIE WONDER! Thank you! THAT was the name I couldn’t think of! LOL.
I thought I was something like excitement or happy. I didn’t try to handle her when she was doing it, just let her do her. She was doing it while she was on the arm of the couch next to me. Really, I’m just hanging out with her when I go, letting her be near me and not trying to push her to do anything in particular. Giving her treats and trying to pay attention to her mannerisms.

OP
Peachypink

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
UPDATE:
OK, so a HUGE update....We have done a complete 180 from the original plan. After spending a few more visits with my girl, KC, the Rescue Owner and I had a conversation about another bird there, Zuni. She is a Goffin with Special Needs as she had kidney issues. I actually zoned in on her the first day I was there but didn't think she was available for adoption. After talking with her about her, this little thing had my heart and I hadn't even held her yet to see if she would like me but knew I needed to cover all my options before making a decision. I like KC, but Amazons and Cockatoos are COMPLETELY different birds. And so I really had to decide what I really wanted and what I wanted to pursue. Plus, after the last visit it was apparent to me that KC just doesn't hate me, and thats about as far as our relationship goes. She would lunge at me from a perch and only let me rescue her from the floor which is how she ended up on my shoulder a couple of times. She was relaxed once she was there so I know with time and training that she would be an excellent bird. But I also know that she has a better chance of finding someone than little Zuni does.

I was so so torn over which was the right thing to do. I want KC to have an amazing home to but the more I thought about it, I worry that my home just wouldn't be right for her, especially if she were to go after my kids since she is known not to like boys all that much. So tonight I went and spent time with Zuni.

And let me tell you, it was LOVE at first sight with her. She is pretty rough looking, lots of feathers missing and none on the back of her neck but she stole my heart. We spent about 2 hours together, playing and head scratches and kisses. She is just the sweetest. I will have to commit to a special diet and making sure she has bloodwork done twice a year to keep an eye on her kidney functions but I an a stay at home mom and have no problem doing any of that.

I feel like a total heel over KC and she has promised to keep me posted on her Vet visit about the lump on her cheek but in the end I had to follow my heart.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
UPDATE:
OK, so a HUGE update....We have done a complete 180 from the original plan. After spending a few more visits with my girl, KC, the Rescue Owner and I had a conversation about another bird there, Zuni. She is a Goffin with Special Needs as she had kidney issues. I actually zoned in on her the first day I was there but didn't think she was available for adoption. After talking with her about her, this little thing had my heart and I hadn't even held her yet to see if she would like me but knew I needed to cover all my options before making a decision. I like KC, but Amazons and Cockatoos are COMPLETELY different birds. And so I really had to decide what I really wanted and what I wanted to pursue. Plus, after the last visit it was apparent to me that KC just doesn't hate me, and thats about as far as our relationship goes. She would lunge at me from a perch and only let me rescue her from the floor which is how she ended up on my shoulder a couple of times. She was relaxed once she was there so I know with time and training that she would be an excellent bird. But I also know that she has a better chance of finding someone than little Zuni does.

I was so so torn over which was the right thing to do. I want KC to have an amazing home to but the more I thought about it, I worry that my home just wouldn't be right for her, especially if she were to go after my kids since she is known not to like boys all that much. So tonight I went and spent time with Zuni.

And let me tell you, it was LOVE at first sight with her. She is pretty rough looking, lots of feathers missing and none on the back of her neck but she stole my heart. We spent about 2 hours together, playing and head scratches and kisses. She is just the sweetest. I will have to commit to a special diet and making sure she has bloodwork done twice a year to keep an eye on her kidney functions but I an a stay at home mom and have no problem doing any of that.

I feel like a total heel over KC and she has promised to keep me posted on her Vet visit about the lump on her cheek but in the end I had to follow my heart.

Too soon. Wait a week or two.

OP
Peachypink

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
UPDATE:

Too soon. Wait a week or two.

I very much appreciate the advice. A little time has passed, we talked more, I talked with the Avian Vet and Zuni came home with me. She is a doll, has definitely found her voice and my whole family loves her. She has a super crush on my husband too. I really think we made the right choice. I adore KC and I am really heartbroken that I had to make that decision, I wish I could have both, but, I think Zuni was the right choice for our family.

KC did have her vet appointment for the lump on her cheek yesterday. The vet said it is nothing to worry about, just watch to make sure it goes away or if it changes.

Thank you all for the love and advise.

Most Reactions