POSSIBLE TOXIC PLANT EATEN BY BUDGIE

brynn.budgies

Oct 13, 2023
Parrots
Muffin (budgie)
(rest peaceful Kiwi)
my parakeet, muffin was sitting in my monstera deliciosa plant and suddenly started chewing in the tip of the leaf. I quickly stopped him but he got a bite about the size of a millet seed. he also rubbed his beak on the stem of the plant am extreme worried he will get sick from it because he's so small. does anyone know anything about this?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Keep a close eye on him. The type of toxin contained in this type of plant will usually cause irritation in the mouth and throat. In extreme cases, it could cause swelling in the throat leading to suffocation. If your budgie isn’t showing signs of irritation like constantly scratching at his mouth, shaking his head, or not wanting to eat, he is probably ok. Eating this plant could also cause digestive upset. Most likely if problems are going to occur, they will happen in a matter of hours, so monitor your budgie closely and if possible take him to a vet right away if anything things seems off. To prevent future risk, it would be best to keep this plant where Muffin can’t get to it!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
my parakeet, muffin was sitting in my monstera deliciosa plant and suddenly started chewing in the tip of the leaf. I quickly stopped him but he got a bite about the size of a millet seed. he also rubbed his beak on the stem of the plant am extreme worried he will get sick from it because he's so small. does anyone know anything about this?
I read a Reddit question about a cockatiel that munched a tiny bit of this plant commonly known as Split leave Philodendron and her vet said her bird would be fine but don't let it happen again. Her bird was fine but she was still worried. Further reading said that the ill effects from eating this plant are GI related (it's a local irritant to the mouth and GI tract more than an actual "toxin"). If Muffin is eating and pooping normally he will probably be fine too. If you notice any signs of mouth or GI discomfort take Muffin to an avian vet.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I read a Reddit question about a cockatiel that munched a tiny bit of this plant commonly known as Split leave Philodendron and her vet said her bird would be fine but don't let it happen again. Her bird was fine but she was still worried. Further reading said that the ill effects from eating this plant are GI related (it's a local irritant to the mouth and GI tract more than an actual "toxin"). If Muffin is eating and pooping normally he will probably be fine too. If you notice any signs of mouth or GI discomfort take Muffin to an avian vet.
This thread, and a pet news clip about a puppy that almost died after swallowing one of his owner's socks, got me wondering if some of our birds that have suddenly gotten very sick and even died had swallowed something dangerous when we weren't looking. Like a piece of a toxic houseplant, something stuck on a shoe and brought inside like a grain of ice melt, a dropped prescription pill, etc. There are so many environmental poisons out there. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of pet birds that are allowed out of their cages (like they should be) succumb to undiagnosed accidental poisonings like this especially those that like to walk around on the floor. It's impossible to keep our floors free of all tiny potentially harmful particles and some birds tend to swallow things. In addition to poisonings, they could get dangerous crop obstructions from swallowing inert things like pebbles, lint, threads and animal or human hair. Even toys in their cages can be chewed into pieces that can cause problems when swallowed.

I bring this up not to worry anyone but to offer possible explanations for previously healthy birds that suddenly get sick or die.

I certainly hope our birds are smart (or finicky) enough not to swallow everything they put in their mouths especially when we have so much trouble trying to get some of them to eat their pellets and veggies!

Most Reactions

Latest posts