Powdercoating?

BridgetsFlame

Nov 24, 2015
Media
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Parrots
2 Sun Conures: Atticus (Hatched 7/11/10) and Rea (Hatched 27/10/15)
I have a cage that I absolutely love the design of, and have never been able to use for birds as the thing rusted before it ever held an animal. I've used it on and off for rabbits since, because well, its a cool cage. It claimed to have a black vein powder coating that was rust resistant, one of the reasons I shelled out for it.

Anyway I saw an add for a powdercoater in my town and gave them a call and I was expecting a quote in the $1000 range, and he said it would probably be $100-200 to sandblast and powder coat the cage. He also didn't have an issue with me saying I'd like the cage in a glossy cream colour if available (I don't like black cages)

I'm really thinking I'd like to get this done, but I was wondering if anyone else had had a cage refurbished like this?

It's such a nice cage, good thick bars and small bar spacing, and the interior space is 60cm wide, 120cm high and 90cm long (for those on imperial 24" x 48" x 36")

This is the cage (image borrowed from google)
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTI3WDYwMA==/z/T1gAAOxy4fVTC95f/$_1.GIF

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I had a really nice antique iron cage re-powdercoated. I asked to see the MSDS documentation on the coating to confirm it was safe. I was super happy with the results. Mine had lots of nooks and crannies and parts to remove for sandblasting so it was well over $200 (can't remember now how much I paid exactly) but it was very much worth it. It rendered the cage serviceable again, and it's built so much better than anything we can buy today. I've already decided that I will re-powdercoat my Grey's and RB2's cage when they need it. They love their cages and, again, they just aren't made like they used to. Good luck!

OP
B

BridgetsFlame

Nov 24, 2015
Media
Parrots
I'm prepared to pay up to $500 or so, which is what I would spend on a new overpriced cage from the local petshop (actual quality branded cages being a rare commodity) and I half expect a revised estimate when the poor guy sees how many pieces are involved in the cage. I forgot to tell him it also had a stand.... And then there are the doors which are going to have to be pulled apart as well... And the latches... hmmm

I'll make sure to grab the MSDS sheet off of him, but I'd assume powder coating being baked on would mean the only danger would be if a bird actually pulled a chip off and ate it? Or can it exude toxins without being damaged?

My sun conures cage is five years old, and it had been sitting in a warehouse for four years prior to my purchasing it. And it's probably the only American branded cage in Australia... but it's also quality and doesn't rust or chip or bend or break, and its even a pretty colour. I don't get why they don't make them like that here.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
It appears to be a critter nation. Which is about 200 on amazon, free shipping and they have sales on them regularly for around `170.00 Now if it's a lot more expensive where you live, or shipping is crazy high, then it might be worth having it powder coated.

My rats live in one of these. I've always just spray painted them (and cages like them) if they get rust in a spot. But I haven't put a bird in one. Though I am thinking of putting the starling in one. But he can't pry paint off the bars like parrots though. I usually do it in the summer and then leave them for several days outside till they don't smell any more. I'll give it about a week before using it again. If birds were using it I'd probably go closer to 2 weeks.

If you have the cage powder coated you will want to find out what they use. Basically if it's safe enough to put on a baby's crib it's probably safe for a cage. If you are wanting the complete change in color, it's probably worth having it professionally done.

OP
B

BridgetsFlame

Nov 24, 2015
Media
Parrots
Its a Ferret Kingdom, I'm Australian, Critter Nations aren't even available in this country. Ferret Kingdoms have awful quality powder coating, this isn't the first one I've had and its not the first one that has rusted before it has never contained an animal. The last couple I've refurbed with rust proofing spray paint and given away or sold on but I really want to keep this one.

The powdercoater just came back with the quote and basically said he doesn't want to do it, so back to square one. Wish I could easily buy a quality cage here that doesn't rust (that isn't a $2.5K stainless steel one). I'm back to looking at buying a no brand one that at least i can look at in the pet shop (and then buy on eBay). Quality's not wonderful, but it may have to do.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Can you wire brush all the rust off and then spray paint it yourself? That second link that Aquilla gave gives information for doing that.

OP
B

BridgetsFlame

Nov 24, 2015
Media
Parrots
I unfortunately can't trust my conure not to gleefully eat the paint, he breaks cages (literally breaks them). While the new cage is for a new bird, it will eventually be in the same room as Atti's cage. Normally it would be a great idea, but Atti is well Atti and his beak can't be trusted. As a four week old baby he nearly amputated his own leg when he decided to crush his leg ring.

Most Reactions

Latest posts