Preparing perches for budgies?

sonayay

Aug 20, 2014
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies
Amber and Cloudy
Yesterday I went to the Dandenong ranges and there was a little area where you could sit down and look into the forest. I was looking around and I saw a fallen over gum tree, so I snapped some sticks and branches off for my budgies. The branches have little areas with black spots that scrape off. Should I rinse and scrub them before I put them into the cage? Or is there more that has to be done?
Thank you :)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
It is always a good idea to remove the bark, then bake the branches for 20-30 minutes at about 180-200 degrees F.....that should kill any bugs burrowed into the bark/branch.....can't speak to the black spots you mention, because I'm on this side of the big fish pond.....sorry.....

Good luck.....

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
could be mould I wouldn't use it.

Stripping off the bark, washing the branches down with soap & water then rinsing...then baking the branches for 20-30 minutes at about 180-200 degrees F.....will take care of any mold/mould spores.....

While living in damp, moldy/mouldy environments (wet molds/moulds) can affect our health, it is mold/mould spores of certain aspergillus molds/moulds that are dangerous to our birds and while it might be nice to stay away from them, they are airborne and something that is just a fact of life for us and our birds.....

Here is some current information from the CDC about molds/moulds:

CDC - Mold - General Information - Basic Facts

Most Reactions