Jun 7, 2012
Media
Scranton PA
Parrots
Darwin- Male Ekkie
Charlie- Cinnamon GCC
Twiggy- Cockatiel
RIP Paco, Jack, and Echo </3
So, I brought home a new foster bird from the parrot rescue I volunteer at. She or he is an umbrella cockatoo. I was told by the rescue owner is she is a sweetie, easily scared, and not too bad of a screamer. She is in the room covered for the night to settle in. I'm wondering what I can do to nip the typical cockatoo excessive screaming in the bud. I want to give her a good start here. Can anyone give me detailed advice on how I can teach her a contact call? I think it might be helpful. She hasn't made many sounds since she came home besides a few seconds of mild screeching. If someone can explain to me in detail, step by step, how to establish a contact call I'd appreciate it. Any other advice is more than welcome to. I will try to post pictures tomorrow!

OP
pacoparrot

pacoparrot

Jun 7, 2012
Media
Scranton PA
Parrots
Darwin- Male Ekkie
Charlie- Cinnamon GCC
Twiggy- Cockatiel
RIP Paco, Jack, and Echo </3
So far she's been great. Some screaming but she's not being any louder than my amazon. I had a headache earlier today and she sat with me on my bed for hours. She seems to love blankets so I'm going to make her one of those corner snuggley-things out of fleece. She's afraid of the stairs but I'm going to work with her on it. She's very cautious and timid. I'm hoping she continues to act the way she is now. She has been gentle and has even said a few words. She said "Whatcha doing" to my mom before and we all were laughing. Just an update. I will try to get pictures tomorrow.

Most Reactions