Progress with Cleo!!!!

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Hey everyone sorry I've been absent the past week or so, I had the flu and just wasn't online much.

But I am really excited right now. I have had Cleo, (my 2nd kakariki ever owned,) since The end of October. (My recently deceased boy was extremely hand tame since day 1.) However With Cleo, she was 8 months old at the time and was never held before. She was to be used merely for breeding, initially. But I started out with the basics, you know, by slowly introducing my hand around the cage, then inside the cage (for extended amount of time, ouch), then presenting millet inside the cage to get her to step up, first one foot then eventually two, and now it has been just about 3 months that I've owned her and she gets excited when I open the cage door instead of running up top! This past week she comes to the door and sometimes flies out. I put millet out for her again, with my hand in between the millet and the cage door so that she had to step up for it, and she went onto my hand and ate the millet OUTSIDE of the cage! Finally the hard work pays off. I would sit for over an hour with my hand in the cage each day just to get them used to me. Such pain but so worth it, I knew I could hand tame her, I'm glad I made progress in doing such. I'm so happy just wanted to share with other people who can appreciate and understand the excitement. It's always great to watch them but even better to hold them 😊 I'm glad I made some milestone progress finally:green1: :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's so nice to hear Valerie. Keep consistent, and you'll have a little friend in time who will love to sit with you on your shoulder :)

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
I know that you will have the potential to train Cleo to do exactly what you want. You are very lucky to have found Tiki's kin! I still don't think it was by chance;). I'm sure Tiki is watching & helping both of you! :)

Keep up the great work.

Most Reactions

Latest posts