Pro's & cons of adopting an adult BFA

KimH

Nov 21, 2012
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Pidgey - Green Cheeked Conure and
Coming soon - Blue Fronted Amazon
We have decided to finally take the plunge and get a BFA. At the moment there are 3 options available to us and I want to carefully consider the pro's and cons of each option. I am impatient at the best of times, when it comes to bringing home a new family member that could very well outlive me, I feel it's important to get an experienced view point.

Option 1:
Hubby's colleague has a pair of BFA's currently with eggs - not sure at what age a reputable breeder will let a baby go to it's new home, but I am working on the assumption that is could be anything up to 12 weeks or more

Option 2:
Breeder has 1 baby which will be available in about 4 weeks (currently in a prison rehab project and is being hand raised by an inmate)

Option 3:
3 year old tame male BFA available right now - have not gone to meet him yet as I am impulsive and can't resist anything feathered or furry.

All input will be greatly appreciated.

If it were me I would go visit the 3 year old. He is likely out of the hormonal stage and you will know what you are getting He may not bond with you, he may not bond with your husband. Regardless of what others say, I want a parrot that talks. Most blue fronts are great talkers. Find out if the 3 year old talks. Ask a bezillion questions. I have had older birds and a hand fed baby. If the 3 year old is really honestly tame in a year's time you won't know the difference except he will be past all the hormonal changes and you won't have to deal with that. Just my opinion. Babies are almost always little sweethearts to start out. You won't be able to resist. And yes, usually about 12 weeks for weaning or could be longer, depending on the bird. You may have to go back to see the 3 y/o a few times to see if it looks like he will be your friend. If it is really tame for the owner now chances are after awhile it will be for someone in your family, not necessarily you. Same is true for any parrot. I have been told by some who know that at 2 years old a hand fed baby may reject his primary caregiver and select someone else in the household as their mate since he considers the primary caregiver a parent and inappropriate for a mate. I will find out in a year or so because I have a hand fed Congo African Grey who is 8 mos. old.

Last edited:
Agreed. Plus, if you don't click with the 3 year old, you can always wait for one of the babes.

My 25 year old BFA is very tame, though he was a little nippy when I got him, it was just from lack of handling and he's mostly out of it now. As I've had him, he's talking more, so I guess his memory is coming back.

Yes by adopting I did inherit his problems, health and behavioral, but I don't think I would have been ready to raise a chick without having this experience first.

Ultimately, it's your call. You're starting with a clean slate with a chick, but will have to go through all of the hormonal and "testing" issues. I would personally visit the 3 year old and see how you click.

A three yr old amazon , has NOT been though any hormonal stages yet, bad advice. Handfeed babies will not automatically switch to another mate at a given age (they weren't bonded with the handfeeder if they do) Handfeeding does not automatically guarantee a bond. ( Although i have a 42 yr old who i handfeed that worships the ground i walk on). The easiest bird to raise is a baby and the best pet if you picked the right bird from the clutch. I would visit all of your choices and pick the one that picks you. Amazon don't mature until at least age 7 and maybe much older ,depending on situation. Many people throw that bonding word about with out realizing that their immature pet only considers them a flock mate until maturity. Cuddling,petting, taking treats is not bonding, it's part of the process. Wanting to breed means you're their mate or they are looking acceptance as your mate. Their mate is who they are bonded to.

Last edited:
I completely agree with henpecked, blue front amazons start being hormonal between 2-3, and this is the crazy hormones they have when going through puberty not the normal breeding hormones.

Thank you all for your feedback.
Reading Henpecked and Copperarabian's posts, chances are the owner of the 3 year old was experiencing a BFA in puberty hence the reason for selling.
As it turns out the older bird was sold last week and the ad just not removed, therefore no longer an option.
I have been an avid dog person for many years and can relate to the sound advice of letting a bird choose me, this is precisely the way our pup selection has worked for us in the past.
Option 1 it is then. The longest wait, but the most logical approach.

As a side note - Henpecked your 42 year old is the same age as me lol!!

Again, thank you all for your great advice and I am sure that once the eggs are hatched and my countdown starts I will be bugging everyone with a million questions :)

Just me, but I would give the 3 year old a visit first. Those babies will be snapped up no problems, but a it is SO much harder for even a couple year old bird to find a good home. You have the opportunity to provide that for him, and what's the worst that can happen, you don't feel he's the right bird and turn to looking at the babies? Give him a chance first. Do keep in mind, a 3 y/o amazon has NOT gone through "puberty" yet (that happens between 5-8 y/o), but he will be on the tail end of the "terrible 2s" phase where he is super curious and super destructive (between about 1-3 years of age).he will also be a perfect age to start forming serious bonds with you, and the perfect age for being trained and taught appropriate behaviors (younger birds can be a bit of a challenge because they are so very curious). There is, of course, no guarentees any of these birds will be the "right" bird, so you just kind of need to use common sense and listen to your gut. If none of them "feel right", then don't bring any one of them home. When it comes to a pet you will literally spend the rest of your life with, it's better to wait for the perfect companion.

On a personal note, when my husband and I decided on a parrot, we didn't even contact breeders, we went right to the avian rescues. It took about a year, and "meeting" 12 different parrots before we found our Kiwi. Some of the other parrots we "met" were very nice birds, a few were even well-trained juveniles, but none of them felt quite "right". Kiwi was a 10 y/o, sexually mature, never been handled/trained and previously neglected male amazon, who was, in the shelters words "not very adoptable". But we knew instantly he was perfect for us, so cute, making funny noises at us and kind of shy. We overcame some major behavioral hurdles with our little guy, but 5 years on, I couldn't imagine life without him. He's really a very sweet bird, he just needed someone to teach him how to behave. I'm glad we waited to find the right bird for us, as well as gave a truly deserving animal a good home.

we got our amazon from a rescue, he is 35.
He is amazing, fairly well behaved. He has definately been through the hormonal stage. His original owner had passed away, but he left a loving and socialized bird.

For us this was the best choice,
Bosley really needed a home and was desperate for someone, we were/ate too inexperienced to deal with a baby .

also we are in our 40's too, at Bosley age we hope to all hit retirement at the same time LOL

I'm also a fan of adopting an older bird. Of course, adopting an older BFA is how I became a bird person... and it has been a marvelous experience. I deeply enjoy the complex relationship with this adult bird who came to live with us. There are so many larger birds who are surrendered for various reasons, and they really need homes...

Most Reactions

Back