New Quaker Parrot. Introduction and Care

TikiTheConure

Oct 15, 2022
Media
Parrots
Tiki the green cheek conure (pineapple red factor)
Hi guys. So I currently have a Conure, I adopted him 2 months ago. We have become very close in a short amount of time. I work from home so I'm always with him when he's not asleep. He won't have it any other way lol... he screams if I leave the room for a minute. He used to have a buddy so I thought it would be best if I got him a friend plus I'd really like another bird. Originally I was going to get a baby but decided to go with a rescue. So in about 2-3 weeks I pick up my quaker. He is 7 years old. He was used as a breeder, trusted poorly and never let out of his cage. So I'm looking forward to spoiling him and giving him an amazing life. He will be a huge part of our family just like my conure Tiki. So my question is, how long do I quarantine for I'm going to temporarily put his cage in my office because that's where I am most of the day, that way he's still with me and Tiki without hanging out right next to him. Also when I do introduce them to eachother, how do I go about that to make sure both birds are safe? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20221027_185313.jpg
    20221027_185313.jpg
    634.1 KB · Views: 44

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. 30 days is the recognized quarantine period. It has to be done rigorously in order to be effective. Wash hands everytime you go from one area to the other, change shoes or socks, some folks change clothes too. etc etc.
Some of our members are very experienced with this and with the trials and triumphs of multiple bird care, they can give you more.

OP
TikiTheConure

TikiTheConure

Oct 15, 2022
Media
Parrots
Tiki the green cheek conure (pineapple red factor)
Welcome and be welcomed. 30 days is the recognized quarantine period. It has to be done rigorously in order to be effective. Wash hands everytime you go from one area to the other, change shoes or socks, some folks change clothes too. etc etc.
Some of our members are very experienced with this and with the trials and triumphs of multiple bird care, they can give you more.
Is the quaker still allowed to be in the same room as us? I don't want him to feel like he's being ignored or that I don't care.

Most Reactions

Latest posts