puresun UVB lights

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I had to drop a dog off to get groomed at petsmart, I wasnt planning on buying anything but took a look around the store just to see what they had, and if they had anything new. And it looks like they're carrying UVB lighting in the bird isle now. Has anyone used this brand and have any experience with it?
20220801_133556.jpg

also a pic of the freshly groomed dog. Hes an elderly toy poodle that I'm pet sitting for a bit for a family friend. His name is Ray, hes super sweet.
20220801_172735.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022
Germany
Parrots
Lemon Pie & Kermit the Frog [red-crowned parakeets / Kakarikis]
Has anyone used this brand and have any experience with it
I own an Arcardia bird lamp, but a standard luminescent tube (T5) not a compact one. It’s quite the standard brand over here, a little bit more one the pricey side but well-known and trusted, I know people who have used them for decades and never had issues with the quality. You just need to change the bulbs regularly because UVB fades over time. I use mine more for background lighting than the UVB because I also own an extra “Sun Spotlight” I turn on regularly (mostly in the cold and dark season) which is more powerful but only, you know, covers a spot.

And, if some of the technical terms above does not makes sense to you: I’m sorry, but I don’t know much of the English terms for all those things, so I tried my best with my dictionary 🙈.

Also, that’s a really freaking cute dog you have :love:.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Never did understand why anyone would spend money on a special fixture with a special bulb as standard light fixture in any room can be simply upgraded using a standard LED light bulb (daylight series) that will do everything that the expensive special fixture and special bulb is doing.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Never did understand why anyone would spend money on a special fixture with a special bulb as standard light fixture in any room can be simply upgraded using a standard LED light bulb (daylight series) that will do everything that the expensive special fixture and special bulb is doing.
I dont think LEDS emit UV? i could be wrong but? and doesnt the light need to be fairly close to the bird to be effective?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I dont think LEDS emit UV? i could be wrong but? and doesnt the light need to be fairly close to the bird to be effective?

Well, one really does not want to be emitting UV as that can be a Cancer Source for both the Parrot and the Humans and as we all know, the closer the source the greater the likelihood of Skin Cancer for us and blindness for both.

Remembering that Parrots have respecters in they eyes and that is their source. As a result Direct Sunlight is not needed. Not to say they would not enjoy it, but it is not needed.

Currently, the standard LED light bulb, daylight series is the closest, reasonably priced presentation of UV light without all the bad stuff. In fact, the LED light that is provided has a downside as far too much can shift one's body clock!

Most Reactions