PVC PIPES

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Rainbow Lories: Mathew & Mia 🤍
Hi everyone!
It’s been a long. I want to make a playing ground for Mathew & Mia using PVC pipes. What is the best pipe diameter, and can anyone recommend me a store in Amazon to order the PVC pipes?
Thank you in advance 🙏🏻

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
1" in dia or larger. Get the one with the most choices in fittings, that will allow you the most options for building. I just go to the local DIY store not sure there are those in Kuwait.

OP
eman

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
1" in dia or larger. Get the one with the most choices in fittings, that will allow you the most options for building. I just go to the local DIY store not sure there are those in Kuwait.
Thank you 🙏🏻
Unfortunately couldn’t find stores that sell PVC pipes to use for DIY. I found them only in factories and the process of getting them isn’t easy that’s why I asked for Amazon store that sells good quality PVC pipes
Thank you again. Appreciate your help!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
North American Manufacturers use a safe (PVC) plastic pellet and also have mid-to-long life. That said, the historical use in home plumbing has fallen out of favor as most all contractors have changed to flex piping for both new and renovation work. That means that the available of white PVC pipe will continue to decline in the future.

1" (25 mm) white PVC by a North American supplier is what you want to target. Brand Names are rarely used. As so well stated about, look for the fittings as that is what allows you to be creative.

OP
eman

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
North American Manufacturers use a safe (PVC) plastic pellet and also have mid-to-long life. That said, the historical use in home plumbing has fallen out of favor as most all contractors have changed to flex piping for both new and renovation work. That means that the available of white PVC pipe will continue to decline in the future.

1" (25 mm) white PVC by a North American supplier is what you want to target. Brand Names are rarely used. As so well stated about, look for the fittings as that is what allows you to be creative.
Thank you so much
Is it available online, somewhere that provides worldwide shipments? I live in Kuwait ..or at least somewhere that ships to postal services companies since I have an address in US.

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
🌟 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽〘F Lutino Budgie〙🌟
✈️ 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙧〘M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki〙✈️
I don't know if this will help you out or not, but this is a tip I heard a long time ago about proper perch size:

You want to make sure your birds feet are wrapped around ~75% of the entire perch circumference.

You will also need to be wrapping the perch with something (someone mentioned vet wrap) to keep them from sliding, so that may augment the circumference somewhat as well. With that being said, the ones you are going to be using for perches should be able to meet that criteria, and I would personally use PVC pipes that are at least 40% larger for the structuring of the stand to ensure the stability. The taller you make it, the larger the pipes you'll want to have near the bottom, most likely.

I've personally never made one of these myself, but have envisioned them and done research. Have you tried drawing up any technical drafts or blueprints for what you want to do?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
In Kuwait: Plumbing Supplies:

الخالد للمقاولات الصحية​

50278696​

Directions

Save
5.01 Google review

Plumbing supply store in Hawally, Kuwait

Service options: In-store shopping

Address: 82P7+WV, Hawally, Kuwait

Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 9PM

Phone: +965 502 78696

OP
eman

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
I don't know if this will help you out or not, but this is a tip I heard a long time ago about proper perch size:

You want to make sure your birds feet are wrapped around ~75% of the entire perch circumference.

You will also need to be wrapping the perch with something (someone mentioned vet wrap) to keep them from sliding, so that may augment the circumference somewhat as well. With that being said, the ones you are going to be using for perches should be able to meet that criteria, and I would personally use PVC pipes that are at least 40% larger for the structuring of the stand to ensure the stability. The taller you make it, the larger the pipes you'll want to have near the bottom, most likely.

I've personally never made one of these myself, but have envisioned them and done research. Have you tried drawing up any technical drafts or blueprints for what you want to do?
Wow thank you really didn’t think about any of these details. I’ve no specific design in mind yet. Found different interesting one but it’s hard to choose and modify and settle with one. I just keep thinking I may think of a better one. I just realized now that even after creating something, I can still modify ..

OP
eman

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Hi everyone!
It’s been a long. I want to make a playing ground for Mathew & Mia using PVC pipes. What is the best pipe diameter, and can anyone recommend me a store in Amazon to order the PVC pipes?
Thank you in advance 🙏🏻
Buying certain lengths of PVC pipe might be limited by delivery options. As for size, if it's going to be a long unsupported length go for a thicker one (1" at least) if it's a short one, like a "branch", you can go for smaller but it also depends on weight of bird and weight of toys. You can see the sagging in the second pic.
I chose different thicknesses for foot exercise for them. Wrapped in physio bandage stuff so they are anti slip. You should be able to get a converter joint to go down in size.

Attachments

• 0TG-hTJw.jpg
    0TG-hTJw.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 52
  • cF6Ak92o.jpeg
    cF6Ak92o.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 52
OP
eman

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Buying certain lengths of PVC pipe might be limited by delivery options. As for size, if it's going to be a long unsupported length go for a thicker one (1" at least) if it's a short one, like a "branch", you can go for smaller but it also depends on weight of bird and weight of toys. You can see the sagging in the second pic.
I chose different thicknesses for foot exercise for them. Wrapped in physio bandage stuff so they are anti slip. You should be able to get a converter joint to go down in size.
Wow! I like what you designed 😍. And
really thank you for the very useful advice, didn’t consider these notes before 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Wow! I like what you designed 😍. And
really thank you for the very useful advice, didn’t consider these notes before 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
I am having to downsize so I wanted to keep all of their things in one spot in some sort of condensed way. I have bought a ton of toy making things for them so they have one full side of the cubicles and I was to have the other side for my crafts... Sadly they have interloped onto my side of the cubing. They have 5 cubes on my side, cheeky buggers. Oh and the boxes are covered cardboard and they love to chew the top edges so they are becoming messy. I would suggest - if doing this, to create a curtain to stop this. Sure they will climb all over the curtain but you can take it off and wash it. I would probably use a fabric shower curtain as they are somewhat waterproof so won't stain if the feathered folk have eaten something like raspberries and leave a message ;) down the curtain. To be honest - they spend most of their day with me down on the table...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You can also scuff the pvc pipe with a file or heavy sandpaper to make it less slippery.

I buy completely clear, cheap shower curtain liners and cut them to size on the top of the dressers I put my bird cages on.
You can wipe them off for a while and throw them away if they get too battered.

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
You can also scuff the pvc pipe with a file or heavy sandpaper to make it less slippery.

I buy completely clear, cheap shower curtain liners and cut them to size on the top of the dressers I put my bird cages on.
You can wipe them off for a while and throw them away if they get too battered.
I used the physio bandage because I can remove it is it gets too yucky. Scuffing the pipe is good too, just not too scratched tho as it could breed bacteria. Yes I do that too but the girls tend to chew them so changing it to corflute instead.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
I use a tea pot that blows steam out its spout to warm the PVC and make bends and to squish it partially along it's length to give a more natural shape and variety for their foot muscles, and not always horizontal perches.

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
I use a tea pot that blows steam out its spout to warm the PVC and make bends and to squish it partially along it's length to give a more natural shape and variety for their foot muscles, and not always horizontal perches.
Wow I didn't think they would be so easy to bend. Does it depend on their size? Like is it only bendable if it's small in diameter?
I have some tilted branches too. And use different diameter sized pvc pipes for foot exercises along with climbing rope, boings, natural branches and fabric ropes I made (no they don't chew them and I would know, as it's directly in front of where I sit to work ;) ). Funnily they seem to prefer to be on flat surfaces... or my arms and shoulders....:rolleyes:

Most Reactions