PVC - Texturing

WeimerHeimer

Sep 11, 2012
York,PA
Parrots
Finches, Conures, Amazon Parrots, Cockatoos, & Macaws
Folks,

This is some what of a re-post from the Macaw Forum as I posted on a comment about someone who made a PVC Play Set for their birds and how to "texture" the PVC pipe and fittings so the birds don't slip off. So, I thought I'd re-post it on the DIY Forum for those who may not read the Macaw Forum as it does apply to any type of bird and projects that one makes out of PVC pipe.

The BEST thing to remove the "slippery" surface off of PVC pipe and fittings is to use a "drill rasp bit". It will texturize the PVC with a finish just like a branch would have. It's real easy to do. Just place the rasp bit into a drill, corded or cordless, and just work the drill back and forth on your PVC perch or play set piece. After you get the "grooves" into the PVC I take a piece of 220 sand paper in go back and forth 3-4 times to remove any "burrs" that may be still on it. Then, I wash it THOROUGHLY making sure I get any sand/grit off the PVC piece. I have done this for years and have NEVER had any sore feet on any of my birds.

Drill Rasp Bits can be bought at any home improvement center. They also come in different degrees of "aggressiveness" to the texture or pattern of teeth on them. Here is a link to what one typically looks like: Vermont American 16684 Cone Rotary Rasp 5/8" x 1-3/8" at PlumberSurplus.com

What's nice about this process over the "warp" stuff is, it's PERMANENT! You never have to do another thing to it.

Feel free to email me or PM is you have any questions.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I'm not sure that's a good idea, does it leave it so rough that a bird could get a grip with it's beaK? Also, how would that be to the bird's foot as well? Wrap is super cheap and easy to replace.

OP
WeimerHeimer

WeimerHeimer

Sep 11, 2012
York,PA
Parrots
Finches, Conures, Amazon Parrots, Cockatoos, & Macaws
WharfRat .... your one skeptical person! :>)

There's a number of places out there online that sell perches like this. The technique has been around a long time. The places that do them just don't openly say how it's done as they want to have the "market" on the idea.

Here's a picture of what it looks like
41y-ngQvCGL._SX450_.jpg

This picture is not one of mine creations, but looks exactly like mine do when I'm done.

I guess you could over aggressively make the grooves too deep, but I do it just enough to take the smooth/shiny finish off the PVC and just rough enough to for the bird to get a grip. I've personally used them on; Cockatiels, Conures, Cockatoos, and recently on my Macaws.

Also, another nice thing about PVC perches like this without the wrap ...... they can right into the dishwasher with the sanitizer setting on for a super clean and germ free perch when it come out. No unwrapping and re-wrapping.

To each his own ...... there's more than one way to skin the cat my friend.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I got a big PVC T-stand from my parents that came that way. It's fantastic and it works great for Rosie. That's great advice to use the dishwasher. Do you only use it with no soap? Could I clean wooden perches and rope perches that way?

Last edited:

aboyce76

Jan 29, 2013
Inverness, FL
Parrots
2 Yellow Collared Macaws-
Liberty and Faith
Blue Crown Conure -Charlie
Parrotlet -Willow
Peach Front Conure -Honor
Senegal-Patriot
I got a big PVC T-stand from my parents that came that way. It's fantastic and it works great for Rosie. That's great advice to use the dishwasher. Do you only use it with no soap? Could I clean wooden perches and rope perches that way?

Copperarabian- The aviary that I got my babies from told me that I could put the wooden perches in the dishwasher with no soap and it would clean them. I do this ALL the time. I works wonderfully! No scrubbing and no chemicals. They dry super quick too.

I am not sure about the rope perches tho... I would love to know if they can go in the dishwasher as well. :cool:

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
I hate to come forth with incomplete information, but isn't regular PVC bad for our birds? I think there is a safe version of PVC, but I cannot remember the numeric or alpha indication. I hope someone can elaborate. I do remember that this is the one reason I stopped from creating my own PVC stand as I could not find the proper materials.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Folks,

This is some what of a re-post from the Macaw Forum as I posted on a comment about someone who made a PVC Play Set for their birds and how to "texture" the PVC pipe and fittings so the birds don't slip off. So, I thought I'd re-post it on the DIY Forum for those who may not read the Macaw Forum as it does apply to any type of bird and projects that one makes out of PVC pipe.

The BEST thing to remove the "slippery" surface off of PVC pipe and fittings is to use a "drill rasp bit". It will texturize the PVC with a finish just like a branch would have. It's real easy to do. Just place the rasp bit into a drill, corded or cordless, and just work the drill back and forth on your PVC perch or play set piece. After you get the "grooves" into the PVC I take a piece of 220 sand paper in go back and forth 3-4 times to remove any "burrs" that may be still on it. Then, I wash it THOROUGHLY making sure I get any sand/grit off the PVC piece. I have done this for years and have NEVER had any sore feet on any of my birds.

Drill Rasp Bits can be bought at any home improvement center. They also come in different degrees of "aggressiveness" to the texture or pattern of teeth on them. Here is a link to what one typically looks like: Vermont American 16684 Cone Rotary Rasp 5/8" x 1-3/8" at PlumberSurplus.com

What's nice about this process over the "warp" stuff is, it's PERMANENT! You never have to do another thing to it.

Feel free to email me or PM is you have any questions.

Yes this has been posted before and someone asked about it awhile back and I reposted the original version awhile back. It is a informative post for those who haven't read it!

Most Reactions