Liuana

Dec 6, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
Hello,
I have a 4 year old Quaker parrot and he bites everyone except for me. He constantly attacks my little sister and I don't know how to stop him. Sometimes he would be nice to her but most of the time he just bites her and the bites are quite severe. It's been an ongoing issue since the moment he turned 1 years old. Any suggestions? I really love him but I can't have him attacking everyone.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Well part of the problem might be he thinks he's trying to protect you from the "non flock members". Question was he well socialized as a baby?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
He has a great bond with you. You two are like your own special flock. The problem is he sees non-flock members as the enemy.

Links:

OP
Liuana

Liuana

Dec 6, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
Well part of the problem might be he thinks he's trying to protect you from the "non flock members". Question was he well socialized as a baby?
Well, I got him when he was a few weeks old and gave him all my attention when he was little. He was also around my family a lot including my sister and did not attack them as he does now.

OP
Liuana

Liuana

Dec 6, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
He has a great bond with you. You two are like your own special flock. The problem is he sees non-flock members as the enemy.

Links:
Oh okay, but is it possible to stop this behavior?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Oh okay, but is it possible to stop this behavior?
Ignore the bites and don't punish him. Tell everyone not to even flinch when he bites them. If the bite is hard, it's okay give him a short time-out but never yell at him, squirt him with water, etc.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Ignore the bites and don't punish him. Tell everyone not to even flinch when he bites them. If the bite is hard, it's okay give him a short time-out but never yell at him, squirt him with water, etc.
I agree Because shouting at a bird or punishing it can be mentally scaring for that bird. And it may actually reenforce that behavior and teach the bird "hey i can get away from this person if i do that? Sweet!".

OP
Liuana

Liuana

Dec 6, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
Well, I am guilty of yelling at him for biting, but he does it so forcefully. The bites are very severe and always cause bleeding.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
quaker as adults are extremely cage protective. They will attack anyone who touches cage or trus to get them out. If that's the case of your bites, then having them come out to a perch attached on the outside first usually takes care of it.

Can you provide more information on where and when bites happen? Quaker are very social and usually can get along with the whole family. But because whatever misunderstanding have taken place, you might have to do a little work.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I put in step by step reconditioning in this thread, its some of the sanme advice i would give to you , so I hope y I will read through

OP
Liuana

Liuana

Dec 6, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
quaker as adults are extremely cage protective. They will attack anyone who touches cage or toys to get them out. If that's tge case of your bites, then having them come out to a perch attached on the outside first usually takes care of it.

Can you provide more information on where and when bites happen? Quaker are very social and usually can get along with the whole family. But because whatever misunderstanding have taken place, you might have to do a little work.
I actually never bought him an actual cage. We have a closed patio section in my house and I keep him there when he misbehaves or when I have to leave. He has an open cage there, but at night he sleeps with me, and during the day he just tags along with me. He bites any body part. My little sister has been bitten near her eye, hands, feet, shoulder. I try to keep him away from her but sometimes he chases her and attacks. He also attacks my friends or any other human being besides me.

OP
Liuana

Liuana

Dec 6, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
I put in step by step reconditioning in this thread, its some of the sanme advice i would give to you , so I hope y I will read through
Thank you, will do for sure.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
well, this setup you have can cause insecurities. He doesn't have any place to call his home base, he is sort of adrift.

My recommendations, get a large cage and set it up in a fixed location, family room is best. Attach tons of perches on the outside of the cage top and sides, and have stuff to chew and food and water dishes on the outside too as well, as well as full set up inside. Start having him sleep in the cage st night on fixed bedtime. This is now his home base. Also set up a few other areas like on the porch , and in your room , with his own perches and stuff. I will link what I do, because its cheap and easy. I use ceiling hooks and fishing line to hang huge spiral rope perches, and stuff. Teach him these are his spots, by giving lots of treats and praise when he is on his spots. Get him use to the cage, and make that a very positive retreat, before you lock him up for overnights. By taking him to the cage many times a day and have him step in get a treat and then come right back out and get a treat. How ever many times that takes till he us really great at it and happy. Then put something really special in there like a slice if apple and leave him in the. Cage for give or ten minutes. Then get him back out . Keep it really positive. Lots of baby talk praise. Then get a good routine and use same phrases, put him into the Cage an hour before his bedtime . At first him might resist, but if you keep up ritual and routine, this will be very beneficial to him and I create his feeling if security. In the morning let him out. He is flighted right?
The outside of cage is still home base, and let him move to his other spots around the house. Getting lots of praise and treats at those spots.

One of my parrots hang out spots
20211206_181308.jpg

Then work on building his trust and bonds with everyone. Start over, re introduce him to everyone. At first you will only do short supervision visits with other people. You will have him happy and calm, and have him step to your sister, then back to you fir a treat.. they can't try to interact with him on their own yet. But they are encouraged to go say him to him many times a day and give a treat. Thsts it . If he doesn't take treats nice from them. Then use a special treat only dish, and they put treat in tgere. Every one in the home should go say good morning and give a treat, and everyone should say hello when the come home and give him a treat, and everyone should tell him when they are leaving the home and give a treat. This is powerful in making everyone part of the flock, and important to make him feel included and that he knows what is going on.
Ok more after I charge. Y phone
Some great info here

Last edited:
OP
Liuana

Liuana

Dec 6, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
well, this setup you have can cause insecurities. He doesn't have any place to call his home base, he is sort of adrift.

My recommendations, get a large cage and set it up in a fixed location, family room is best. Attach tons of perches on the outside of the cage top and sides, and have stuff to chew and food and water dishes on the outside too as well, as well as full set up inside. Start having him sleep in the cage st night on fixed bedtime. This is now his home base. Also set up a few other areas like on the porch , and in your room , with his own perches and stuff. I will link what I do, because its cheap and easy. I use ceiling hooks and fishing line to hang huge spiral rope perches, and stuff. Teach him these are his spots, by giving lots of treats and praise when he is on his spots. Get him use to the cage, and make that a very positive retreat, before you lock him up for overnights. By taking him to the cage many times a day and have him step in get a treat and then come right back out and get a treat. How ever many times that takes till he us really great at it and happy. Then put something really special in there like a slice if apple and leave him in the. Cage for give or ten minutes. Then get him back out . Keep it really positive. Lots of baby talk praise. Then get a good routine and use same phrases, put him into the Cage an hour before his bedtime . At first him might resist, but if you keep up ritual and routine, this will be very beneficial to him and I create his feeling if security. In the morning let him out. He is flighted right?
The outside of cage is still home base, and let him move to his other spots around the house. Getting lots of praise and treats at those spots.

View attachment 32847

Then work on building his trust and bonds with everyone. Start over, re introduce him to everyone. At first you will only do short supervision visits with other people. You will have him happy and calm, and have him step to your sister, then back to you fir a treat.. they can't try to interact with him on their own yet. But they are encouraged to go say him to him many times a day and give a treat. Thsts it . If he doesn't take treats nice from them. Then use a special treat only dish, and they put treat in tgere
Some great info here

Since he is used to not being in a cage I thought introducing him to one might make him stressed out, but that does sound like a good idea. I might give it a try. I need to find a good cage first though, and yes he can fly.

OP
Liuana

Liuana

Dec 6, 2021
Parrots
Quaker

View attachment 32847

Then work on building his trust and bonds with everyone. Start over, re introduce him to everyone. At first you will only do short supervision visits with other people. You will have him happy and calm, and have him step to your sister, then back to you fir a treat.. they can't try to interact with him on their own yet. But they are encouraged to go say him to him many times a day and give a treat. Thsts it . If he doesn't take treats nice from them. Then use a special treat only dish, and they put treat in tgere. Every one in the home should go say good morning and give a treat, and everyone should say hello when the come home and give him a treat, and everyone should tell him when they are leaving the home and give a treat. This is powerful in making everyone part of the flock, and important to make him feel included and that he knows what is going on.
Some great info here
Thank you for the advice 💛

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
its great that he is flighted . So make those specific areas that are his.

My take on this is he has no control, so he is bite to try and control his environment. He has turned everything into his territory so he is stressed and has lots to defend. He needs his own place, he needs a routine.

And it's easy for parrots to loose trust, and then things start piling up. So I would work on rebuilding his trust with other people. Everybody needs to be respectful of this process. It takes time to rebuild trust and to work out issues. Things probably took awhile to get out if hand, and it takes awhile to get everything back in a good place, expect months , tho hopefully you will see some improvement right away.

Parrots always have a reason fir bite. And no one should be putting him in a position where he us forced to bite. There should be lots of just saying hi abd give a actrest, safflower seeds can work great.

Mine are all flighted and all out all day, but all have their own cages for night, and safety when I'm out.

If he is actually flying to people just to bute them. That's probably due to above mentioned, he doesn't have his own places, doesn't feel in control of what's happening around him.

I think you can regain and have a wonderful companion again, and a rewarding relationship. But you need to help him get there, and help the rest of the members in the home get there too. Try and have a set time that you and he hang out for some one on one every day as well. These are highly social parrots. I Spend a solid hour petting preening and cuddling mine, as a minimum, usually 3 hours of direct contact spread out during the day, and i set them up with foraging and enrichment stuff.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
aww thanks! Reading a lot, learning from others, and 20 years of having parrots bound to learn some stuff.
They are flying primates, that have some bird stuff wired into their brain, and are each unique, but a lot if needs are the same. We really need to be thoughtful about having such intelligent individuals, and effort to meet their needs.
Dogs and cats sleep, nap many hours as they evolved. Parrots evolved to be active, and have a social complex world

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
aww thanks! Reading a lot, learning from others, and 20 years of having parrots bound to learn some stuff.
They are flying primates, that have some bird stuff wired into their brain, and are each unique, but a lot if needs are the same. We really need to be thoughtful about having such intelligent individuals, and effort to meet their needs.
Dogs and cats sleep, nap many hours as they evolved. Parrots evolved to be active, and have a social complex world
Yep parrots are defiantly active for sure lol. And they cause mischief but honestly would we really like them any other way?

Nooooo..... probably not lol....

Most Reactions

Latest posts