OP
Liuana

Liuana

Dec 6, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
its great that he is flighted . So make those specific areas that are his.

My take on this is he has no control, so he is bite to try and control his environment. He has turned everything into his territory so he is stressed and has lots to defend. He needs his own place, he needs a routine.

And it's easy for parrots to loose trust, and then things start piling up. So I would work on rebuilding his trust with other people. Everybody needs to be respectful of this process. It takes time to rebuild trust and to work out issues. Things probably took awhile to get out if hand, and it takes awhile to get everything back in a good place, expect months , tho hopefully you will see some improvement right away.

Parrots always have a reason fir bite. And no one should be putting him in a position where he us forced to bite. There should be lots of just saying hi abd give a actrest, safflower seeds can work great.

Mine are all flighted and all out all day, but all have their own cages for night, and safety when I'm out.

If he is actually flying to people just to bute them. That's probably due to above mentioned, he doesn't have his own places, doesn't feel in control of what's happening around him.

I think you can regain and have a wonderful companion again, and a rewarding relationship. But you need to help him get there, and help the rest of the members in the home get there too. Try and have a set time that you and he hang out for some one on one every day as well. These are highly social parrots. I Spend a solid hour petting preening and cuddling mine, as a minimum, usually 3 hours of direct contact spread out during the day, and i set them up with foraging and enrichment stuff.
I really appreciate your time and advice, and everyone else's that replied to this thread 💛 💛 💛 I will definitely take all the tips into consideration and invest in a good cage for my birdie! Hopefully, I'll see an improvement as time goes on.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
O hope you will continue to share your journey with us, what works , your inspirations, and break throughs, how the process goes. And share your frustration and set backs too. Lots if people read threads even if just lurking, lots of people will learn from your story. Life with parrots isn't perfect for any of us. ;) we are all trying to do better , or have stuff happen.
We are parronts!! Its great to have this forum to share and support

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
O hope you will continue to share your journey with us, what works , your inspirations, and break throughs, how the process goes. And share your frustration and set backs too. Lots if people read threads even if just lurking, lots of people will learn from your story. Life with parrots isn't perfect for any of us. ;) we are all trying to do better , or have stuff happen.
We are parronts!! Its great to have this forum to share and support
Yep life with birds is tough sometimes everyone who has had a bird would say that but they are amazing little buddies to have.

Most Reactions

Latest posts