quarantine with tests

AdDefiant3705

Jul 29, 2022
Parrots
I own cockatiels :)
Hello, I'm getting my 2nd cockatiel tomorrow. I already have one at home (for a year- without any contact with other birds)

The new one has been checked at our local vet and they said he's completely healthy.
My question is, if I bring him home, is it necessary to put him into a quarantine even if he has all the tests?

The new bird grew up with his "siblings" so he's used to some kind of company - won't he feel lonely if I put him into a different room with door closed? I would spend time there too ofc.

(I don't plan on caging them together at all, I have a separate cage ready)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello, I'm getting my 2nd cockatiel tomorrow. I already have one at home (for a year- without any contact with other birds)

The new one has been checked at our local vet and they said he's completely healthy.
My question is, if I bring him home, is it necessary to put him into a quarantine even if he has all the tests?

The new bird grew up with his "siblings" so he's used to some kind of company - won't he feel lonely if I put him into a different room with door closed? I would spend time there too ofc.

(I don't plan on caging them together at all, I have a separate cage ready)
It's a good idea to let him isolate a bit while testing. Sometimes they hide their illnesses really well. Unless your breeder/rescue tested and isolated beforehand, you should isolate him before meeting your current cockatiel.

Most Reactions

Latest posts