Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
Let me start off by saying neither of my birds have mites this is a question about cage cleaning in general.
I try to sanitize and clean my cage,toys once a week. I clean the water dish way more then I care to admit. I was shopping for my cleaner (avi-clean) and I saw all these cleaners for mites. Is this something I should be useing as a proventive?
Iv had my new sun conure for a year, I had another one for two years who past away and my girlfriend has a green cheek so I consider myself pretty knowledgeable but this is something iv heard of but never worried about.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
While it's possible for almost any bird to catch a mite infestation, budgies, rather than conures, have a better potential to acquire mites and then it's usually the scaly-face/ scaly-leg versions, though red mites can be problematic pests too, but whatever you do, stay far away from those little round tins/containers, sold as bird protectors...those things are made from the same stuff as mothballs & can cause feather loss and possible neurological damage and/or death to companion birds.....

Since red mites are only active at night & hide during the day, you can place a sheet of white typing/copy paper on the bottom of the cage or on the bottom grate. The only over the counter solution/pesticide I have used on my birds is 5% Sevin Dust...it is safe to use in their cages and to even rub into their feathers...there's also permethrin, made from daisies and pyrethrins, made from chrysanthemums for natural pesticides.....your vet can also provide you with ivermectin and give you further advice for what else you might find in the city of 8 million residents.....

The one time we found mites, I'm pretty sure the caught a ride with a pair of budgies I agreed to give a foster home to, but after I dosed all cages & birds for several days, we've had no more problems.....I think that I'd be inclined to speak with my veterinarian about area infestations before I put anything on a preventative pesticide schedule.....

Good luck.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts