Question about new heat pump

Rathbird

Apr 3, 2023
Parrots
2 Budgies
I wanted to start the question with a thank you. The forums have helped me with lots of my questions about my budgies' health (no, they're not dying) and safety.

This I can't find specifically and thought I'd ask. I have to have the outside heat pump and the air handler in the attic of my condo replaced. Everything in the condo is electric so no gas issues. Has anyone had this done and is there anything I need to be aware of?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I wanted to start the question with a thank you. The forums have helped me with lots of my questions about my budgies' health (no, they're not dying) and safety.

This I can't find specifically and thought I'd ask. I have to have the outside heat pump and the air handler in the attic of my condo replaced. Everything in the condo is electric so no gas issues. Has anyone had this done and is there anything I need to be aware of?
I'm so glad you were able to find help here, and that you joined us. Welcome! Your 'Thank you' to the forum was so nice, thank you for that:)

I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone will come along soon who can.

OP
R

Rathbird

Apr 3, 2023
Parrots
2 Budgies
I'm so glad you were able to find help here, and that you joined us. Welcome! Your 'Thank you' to the forum was so nice, thank you for that:)

I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone will come along soon who can.
Thanks for the welcome Terry57. It sometimes feels like I've put so much time in looking for information about droppings, molting, paint, toaster ovens, caulk, space heaters, air travel, etc. that I could have a college degree in nuclear fusion by now.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Heat Pumps are commonly seen as a support heating /cooling system as it provides a base heat /cooling source for a regular furnace /air conditioner. The unit either runs its own liquid in pipes into the ground (common 5 or more feet deep) obtaining 'core' ground temperature (normally around 55 degree) or it using a well and then uses a standard furnace (electric or gas) to heat the air or cool the air to that set with the thermostat. Clearly, the system is more effective for cooling in the North, but works well for both Season in the Southern States. Since it is an air exchange system, there are few moving parts and no toxic sources.

Changing system filters is important as it provides you with overall cleaner air. Some apartment units have filters in the apartment. Check with management!

Last edited:
OP
R

Rathbird

Apr 3, 2023
Parrots
2 Budgies
Answering my own question for anyone looking for information in the future. I had the electric Trane heat pump and air handler installed without anything happening to the birds. They were kept in a room with a closed and covered vent and a towel under the door. A Rabbit MinusA2 air purifier was running the entire time and it had a busy day.

There was a fair amount of noise and the process took 7 hours. There are sealants/caulks involved but all of that happened either outside or in the attic. The AC has been run and there were no odors and the air purifier didn't react to anything. I don't know about the heat and if there will or won't be burnoff and outgassing from the new air handler.

Edited To Add: The heating was used and there was some initial smell. It was faint and reminded me a bit of putting a new trash bag into a can as far as the intensity of the plastic odor. After four on and off cycles of running the heat at around 75 F the smell was gone.

The vent in the bird's room remained closed throughout the initial uses and once there was no detectable odor it was opened. Everyone seems fine.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts