Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
I notice we have several really sharp people from Australia that maybe can enlighten me. Several of you have written that importing and exporting birds to Australia is nearly impossible. How long has this been in effect? Is it because of the C.I.T.E.S. treaty (Conservation In Trade of Exotic Species) or has it been before that? I was watching a program on Black Palm Cockatoos in the wild which was filmed in far north Australia. Here they are about the most difficult to find (and expensive) birds here that originally had come from Australia. I'm wondering when they came into the USA to begin with and if all that are here are decendents of the original birds.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I'll leave the importation stuff (i.e. years and why) to the Australians...

But I can say that Australia has PBFD running rampant in many of the wild birds.. and there's also a concern for non-native species causing damage. I don't know how true this may be in Australia, but it's very true in New Zealand, where introduced animals have caused havoc to the animals living there.... to the point that animals have become endangered and if it weren't for people setting up special breeding programs and/or moving these animals to predator free islands, these animals might be dead now.

Would be interesting to hear more about this topic from some Australians!

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
In Western Australia its to avoid Agricultural damage, there are many birds, reptiles and even fish that we can not bring in. Quakers,Amazons and African Greys just to name afew. Other states in Australia are allowed those birds. But they may have others they prohibit that we allow.
Here is a PDF about Importing and keeping introduced mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians in Western Australia http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/content/aap/ol/bulletin4604.pdf
It says:
Introduced animals and birds can cause problems
Many animals and birds cause severe damage to agriculture and the environment. They can:
carry diseases or parasites;
damage agricultural crops;
displace native animals and plants;
damage property;
cause land degradation;
have a negative impact on pets.
These primarily introduced species (species that have originated in another country) have been gazetted as ‘Declared Animals’ under the Agriculture and Related Resources Protection Act 1976.

It contains a list of what needs licenses and what are strictly not allowed, just incase you are interested.

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I know with a lot of species it is still legal to export, but illegal to import.
Reptiles and rodents come to mind... however I am not sure how birds fit in there.

Palm cockatoos are probably rarer in aviculture in Australia than they are overseas! Most of the birds overseas would likely have come from surrounding islands, not from australia itself. New Guinea, Indonesia etc. A lot of people forget that neighbouring islands often share our native birds... and have much more relaxed laws and security.

You strictly can not import pet birds into Australia. Period.
That doesn't mean that smuggling doesnt occur in both directions.
A recent really good example is the "JAG" carpet python... recently smuggled INTO australia. Its place is now firmly set into Australia's herpetological world... and without proof it was smuggled in its unlikely to be removed any time soon.

I believe the import laws changed in the 80's. Its hard to find a good definitive source on this however. It has nothing (or very little?) to do with CITES and everything to do with import/quarantine. Being an island, we are secluded and want to keep ourselves free of the diseases other countries have. Importation of pet birds is not essential therefor there is no reason for it :) The importation of dogs and cats has no impact on our agriculture, but importation of birds may do. Therefor, not legal. When it comes to such laws, it is rarely about wildlife protection and ALL about protecting agricultural assets. Importing a bird which carries a disease that may potentially affect poultry... bad.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
The import ban has been in place since 2005 I believe. I think, if I recall correctly, the motivation/reasoning for the strict ban was Avian Flu. (If someone else is more familiar with it, feel free to correct me :))

Dear Angela,

Thank you for contacting the Wildlife Trade Permits Team with your enquiry regarding the import Macaws (genus - Ara) into Australia.

The import of live animals into Australia is controlled by the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act), administered by the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (SEWPaC) and the Quarantine Act 1908, administered by the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service (AQIS). These laws apply to all importers of live exotic animals.

Under the EPBC Act, the only specimens that can be imported live into Australia are those listed on the list of approved specimens. The list of specimens that are currently listed can be found at Live import list - Wildlife trade and conservation in Australia. It is prohibited to import a species into Australia if it is not on the list. If a specimen intended for live import does not currently appear on the list a person may apply to amend the list. More information on this process can be found at How to amend the live import list - Wildlife trade and conservation in Australia.

Unfortunately, live birds cannot be imported into Australia at this time due to the AQIS live bird ban. The only exceptions to this are household pet bird(s) from New Zealand (certain conditions apply).

It may be worth contacting AQIS first to ascertain whether the import of birds is being assessed by them.

Information and procedures on AQIS requirements for the live import of animals is available on their website.

Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service - Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

I hope this information is helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact the Permits team if you have any queries.

Regards

Wildlife Trade Permits Team
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
CITES Management Authority of Australia
Email: [email protected]
Ph: +61 2 6274 1900
Fax: +61 2 6274 1921

Given that Australia is an 'island' we have very unique aviculture that can be permantly damaged by any introduction of disease in the country. PBFD can take out a huge amount of cockatoos, so I think there is a huge concern for what other effects diseases/viruses can have in the country too.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Nice huh, people can import poultry, but not pet birds. Interestingly, if you had the time and money (and inclination) there are crazy loopholes to exploit. For one, zoo's often import things no one else would dare be able to. Becoming an official zoo is expensive and difficult but not impossible. If one were so inclined :p

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
For example... if I were a crazy billionare... I would very quickly be importing these...

Old World Aviaries: The Greater Vasa Parrot

baby_vasas.JPG

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Vasa breeding stock is available here in the US, and you don't have to be a Billionaire, LOL.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
Interestingly, if you had the time and money (and inclination) there are crazy loopholes to exploit. For one, zoo's often import things no one else would dare be able to. Becoming an official zoo is expensive and difficult but not impossible. If one were so inclined :p

WE could partner up and come up with a chain of Zoo's, You run the QLD one and I will run the WA one.. LOL :D

OP
Alwese

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
Many thanks "Aims", "Thingamagigs" and "Alisana" for your extremely rapid response to my inquiry. I didn't think about populations of birds on adjacent islands. I have heard their are far more Hyacinths here in captivity than exist in the wild and I can imagine that scenario is reflected in Black Palms too!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
To my knowledge the Black Palm Too is illegal & it is not kept in aviaries in Australia. A few Zoo's have them.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Interestingly, if you had the time and money (and inclination) there are crazy loopholes to exploit. For one, zoo's often import things no one else would dare be able to. Becoming an official zoo is expensive and difficult but not impossible. If one were so inclined :p

WE could partner up and come up with a chain of Zoo's, You run the QLD one and I will run the WA one.. LOL :D

Mmm, I think even zoo's there is a restriction. SA zoo has a hyacinth macaw for example, however the macaw is not allowed to participate in any breeding programs or be paired up with another hyacinth.

I can't remember the exact story, but I believe that the macaw was seized due to an illegal import.

I'm running on two theories here... either they cannot import another hyacinth in due to the bird ban OR they cannot breed with that particular macaw because it was seized. Not sure which :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts