Questions regarding my ringneck

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Of course new objects can be hit or miss. Usually with larger items, like suitcase, have gotten my IRN to stand tall, open his wings slightly, and issue warning calls. I also tried a plastic flower type toy that he would run from. I'm sensitive to how I introduce new things as I think that has some to do with how he reacts. If it's not something I'm focusing on then he seems less startled by something new. For example, I may remove him from the cage and room before introducing a new toy, so it's just there when he comes back to familiar territory, but with something new already there for him to notice on his own.

There are lots of good topics in the community forum below species specific, such as general information and health, etc. I watch for abnormal feces (first morning bomb) and look at their feet for signs of sores (bumblefoot), and recurring sneezing/discharge. I don't recall any specific ailments to this breed of parrot (for example, my vet said that Cockatiels are more susceptible to a kind of parasite), and it seems all parrots can develop behavior problems such as feather plucking. My IRN is not as active as our budgie, and I think caged birds are slightly less active than if they're in a larger outdoor aviary in a flock to interact with. Sometimes I wonder if mine takes too many naps.

Uzair

Dec 5, 2019
Hi all. I hope and pray you and your parrots are in the best of health. I have a question if someone could please help me i would be very grateful. I've recently noticed my ringneck has white scratch marks on her beak. At first it was a little, but after a couple of days i've noticed its getting more. Is this normal or is something wrong. By the way im a new irn owner and only had it for a few months. I will try to upload pics, im new to this forym so i dont know how to do it. Any help is welcome

OP
C

Calorious

Apr 11, 2020
Singapore
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Name: Climber, he climbs everything :3)
Blue Cinnamon Conure (he looks like a kiwi, so his name is Kiwi :3)
Painted Conure (Name: Rainbow! :3)
Of course new objects can be hit or miss. Usually with larger items, like suitcase, have gotten my IRN to stand tall, open his wings slightly, and issue warning calls. I also tried a plastic flower type toy that he would run from. I'm sensitive to how I introduce new things as I think that has some to do with how he reacts. If it's not something I'm focusing on then he seems less startled by something new. For example, I may remove him from the cage and room before introducing a new toy, so it's just there when he comes back to familiar territory, but with something new already there for him to notice on his own.

There are lots of good topics in the community forum below species specific, such as general information and health, etc. I watch for abnormal feces (first morning bomb) and look at their feet for signs of sores (bumblefoot), and recurring sneezing/discharge. I don't recall any specific ailments to this breed of parrot (for example, my vet said that Cockatiels are more susceptible to a kind of parasite), and it seems all parrots can develop behavior problems such as feather plucking. My IRN is not as active as our budgie, and I think caged birds are slightly less active than if they're in a larger outdoor aviary in a flock to interact with. Sometimes I wonder if mine takes too many naps.
Wow, okay, thank you so much!

OP
C

Calorious

Apr 11, 2020
Singapore
Parrots
Hi all. I hope and pray you and your parrots are in the best of health. I have a question if someone could please help me i would be very grateful. I've recently noticed my ringneck has white scratch marks on her beak. At first it was a little, but after a couple of days i've noticed its getting more. Is this normal or is something wrong. By the way im a new irn owner and only had it for a few months. I will try to upload pics, im new to this forym so i dont know how to do it. Any help is welcome
Hey, first of all, welcome to the forums! To start with your thread, the link to all the forums are here:
http://www.parrotforums.com/forums.php
You could head down to your own specific breed of parrot (under species specific) and select your parrot.
After clicking on the forum page of your specific parrot breed, there is a small "New Thread" button on the top left of the page.
Clicking that will allow you to start your thread with a title, message context together with tags and smilies.
You are able to add an attachment to the thread by going down to the bottom of your reply area under "Additional Options" and pressing "Manage Attachments" and a new window will open. From there, simply Upload the image(s) and when you are done, you may simply close that window and Submit your thread. This applies to replies too. :)
I am also a new parrot owner. So I am still unable to help you with your ringneck's problem.

Last edited:
OP
C

Calorious

Apr 11, 2020
Singapore
Parrots

UPDATE: My parrot seems to be constantly keeping his mouth half open and whenever I pet it, it seems to be making a noise that sounds alot like crying. There's still alot of whimpering but it sounds mainly like crying sounds. Why is this so?
It also started to preen alot. Like everyday and every 30 minutes. I would be the one to distract it whenever it starts preening but it always preens, like constantly.

OP
C

Calorious

Apr 11, 2020
Singapore
Parrots
Thank you everyone for your help, I've come to understand more about my parrot's behaviours :)

Most Reactions