Re: Which parrot should I get: Senegal / Conuer / or other

NiR

Jul 30, 2012

How often do senegals bite during hormonal stages and how many of those bites actually hurt? And how often do they bite other new people they see?

Also I meant Senegal or African greys. Not sure why the title changed.

Last edited:

Ginkai

Mar 20, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Eastern Galah - Suki Lala 10 months old
Greyhound Cross - Max 7 years old
Great Dane Cross - Marque 2 years old
Rats -Lola 1yr old, Tsuyu, Enya, Fury all 6 months old, Cookie 8 weeks

It all depends on the individual I hate to say. No two parrots even of the same type will be exactly the same. The more social-isd they are the less they'll bite generally but birds only bite for a good reason and will give warnings so most bites are avoidable.

I don't think biting statistics should be considered when buying a bird, to much variance.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media

I agree, you cannot really say how often a Parrot will bite!! Whatever species you get there is no guarantee it will not bite at some stage... They all hurt when they bite!

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012

A Senegal will bite harder that a conure due to them being abit bigger up to now our Senegal has never bitten anyone as she is still a baby she gives you the odd play nip but she knows how much pressure to apply with me and my brother its more pressure than it is with my mam but I can asure you no matter what bird you get all bites are going to hurt if they are aiming to hurt you they will

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media

Believe me!! I have been bitten by a Conure and it hurt!! Much more than what it did when I was bitten by the Galah I used to have :( Big or little Beak, it still hurts! Apart from Macaws which are in a totally different league altogether :eek:

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012

Believe me!! I have been bitten by a Conure and it hurt!! Much more than what it did when I was bitten by the Galah I used to have :( Big or little Beak, it still hurts! Apart from Macaws which are in a totally different league altogether :eek:

Luckly I haven't being bitten by a macaw yet lol all the ones I have handled have being big cuddle bugs :D now on the down side I have being bitten by an umbrella cockatoo a goffin cockatoo a few conures and a ringneck :( so all in all I think I have being lucky not to have being bitten by a macaw or amazon :p

Total_Dejavu

Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Jules - Yellow Sided GCC, Buju - My sweet lil Meyer's, Micah - Sun Concure :o)

I have no experience with either, but it's true what the others have said. It depends on the bird. My Meyer's, not one nip ever! My Conure, nippy at times. I would think it would be the same with Senegals or Greys. It's also based on different factors. I believe younger birds will nip more because they are curious and haven't had as much socialization as an older bird. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I would read up on temperaments before deciding. Good luck :)

OP
N

NiR

Jul 30, 2012

I have no experience with either, but it's true what the others have said. It depends on the bird. My Meyer's, not one nip ever! My Conure, nippy at times. I would think it would be the same with Senegals or Greys. It's also based on different factors. I believe younger birds will nip more because they are curious and haven't had as much socialization as an older bird. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I would read up on temperaments before deciding. Good luck :)

From what I know,babies rarely nip. It's when the grow up and go through the hormonal phases that they start nipping.

OP
N

NiR

Jul 30, 2012
Re: Which parrot should I get: Senegal / Tag or other

From what I know,babies rarely nip. It's when the grow up and go through the hormonal phases that they start nipping.

lokiNotis

Jul 3, 2012
WV
Parrots
Loki-Green Cheek Conure
Otis-blue Quaker Bandit-YNA

My GCC is kind of nippy (especially with me). He loves my husband. When I put him back in his cage at night and he is not ready that bite will bring tears to your eyes. I just put him in the cage and not say a word. Now my Quaker has never bit me but he is bigger bird so I would imagine it would hurt a lot more. With strangers my GCC will hide from people. My Quaker loves company. We recently brought home our new Yellow Nape Amazon and he/she has been great so far. It all depends on the bird and they are all different. Like someone else said they can and almost always will all bite at some point. Pick a bird that you really like and do research. I really wouldn't base it on the biting factor.

Most Reactions

Latest posts